Tips for Goodwood Festival of Speed

MarkM

RMS Regular
Dates and info released for 2021. Given the current situation that we're in right now, I'm slightly doubtful about it running as normal, but would be great if it could. And it's just nice to finally see events of any kind going back into the calendar!

Still have my tickets from last year, really can’t see it happening unfortunately :worried:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
@MarkM

I hope you're wrong, we have tickets for RIAT in mid July and we will be gutted if it doesn't go ahead.

MarkM

RMS Regular
@MarkM

I hope you're wrong, we have tickets for RIAT in mid July and we will be gutted if it doesn't go ahead.

We were talking about it last night, I’m leaning towards asking for a refund, still don’t think it’ll actually happen but not sure I’ll be comfortable with a big event anyway this year the way things are going :worried:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
We were talking about it last night, I’m leaning towards asking for a refund, still don’t think it’ll actually happen but not sure I’ll be comfortable with a big event anyway this year the way things are going :worried:

As long as my wife and I have received the vaccination by that stage I will have no issues going to events.

In fact if we are still not back to some sort of normality by July, I'm not sure what kind of state I might be in at that stage.

MarkM

RMS Regular
As long as my wife and I have received the vaccination by that stage I will have no issues going to events.

In fact if we are still not back to some sort of normality by July, I'm not sure what kind of state I might be in at that stage.

With vaccinations not being available to the masses until Autumn I think that’s a bit hopeful on normality, fingers crossed you’re right though

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
With vaccinations not being available to the masses until Autumn I think that’s a bit hopeful on normality, fingers crossed you’re right though

Not everyone needs to be vaccinated for things to start to normalise, it's the most vulnerable.

At least that's how it was being described on the radio show I was listening to today, and it was doctors who were giving this info.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
@MarkM

Will hardly be normal circumstances this year but is RIAT the sort of thing that needs early booking or is it easy to get tickets close to time?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Will hardly be normal circumstances this year but is RIAT the sort of thing that needs early booking or is it easy to get tickets close to time?

Last time we checked it was almost sold out, we bought our tickets last year. As it was cancelled last year a lot of people chose to carry their tickets over to this year rather than take a refund.

some where to stay in the area is also extremely difficult to find, a lot of people book up to a year in advance to return.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
They seem to be self congratulating on the vaccine rollout. It's only January. I feel they'll push on ahead with this

ShaunB

RMS Regular
@MarkM

I'd say you might be disappointed, the NW200 was originally planned to be delayed to August, but they've completely cancelled the event for this year.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
I can't see there being too many big events this year... I've reckon when they can fill football stadiums week in week out, things in general will be back to normal then. It's badly needed!

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
It’s likely that some events may not ever return if they are cancelled two years in a row, I’m sure a massive amount of planning goes into these events and I have no idea when they need to make a “go” or “no go” decision, but I would have waited to a bit later in the year before cancelling outright. I think whatever position we are in around Easter will probably tell us how the rest of 2021 is going to go.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
so looks like this is all going ahead!
Has anyone ever stayed in the campsite?

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
Really? That is quite surprising based on the other big events that have already been cancelled.

As far as the information from Goodwood goes - It's on! and with Boris talking about scrapping social distancing that's the general direction of travel.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
As far as the information from Goodwood goes - It's on! and with Boris talking about scrapping social distancing that's the general direction of travel.

Interesting, a large event I was due to go to in England in July was cancelled recently. Strange how one can go ahead, while another cannot.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
Interesting, a large event I was due to go to in England in July was cancelled recently. Strange how one can go ahead, while another cannot.
Just depends on how determined the organisers are - It's their decision to cancel. Goodwood have been keeping the faith

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
I go most years but normally just do it as a day trip these days. Fly into Gatwick and then there is a train direct to Chichester from there every 30 minutes or so. If you hit the train right you can be on in goodwood in just over an hour from landing.
When you get the train in from Gatwick, how do you get from the station to the festival? Is it walkable?

Dad is 60 next year and had planned to look at taking him to Silverstone again but it's near £1k/each for the only weekend tickets left, so been looking at Goodwood as it's also something we'd both like to do. Accomodation is looking predictably expensive anywhere near it though.

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
When you get the train in from Gatwick, how do you get from the station to the festival? Is it walkable?

Dad is 60 next year and had planned to look at taking him to Silverstone again but it's near £1k/each for the only weekend tickets left, so been looking at Goodwood as it's also something we'd both like to do. Accomodation is looking predictably expensive anywhere near it though.
They have a bus service that runs back and forward to the festival all day, I think it’s around £10 for the return ticket for the bus but can’t remember what the train from Gatwick cost (possibly £30ish)

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Anyone going this year?

Just about to book a 3 day ticket, Friday - Sunday. Doesn't seem to be open on a Thursday anymore.

KevM

RMS Regular
Yes, we (me and the wee lad) will be there on Saturday at some stage. We get off the boat in Southampton in the morning and we're straight onto the train to Chester