To Laquer or Not?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just started polishing the lip on a set of rims and was wondering whether I should laquer over the top or leave them exposed?

Much work maintaining polished lip?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
I'd lacquer them tbh. The lip would corrode quite easily I'd say if left exposed

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I'd say it would help. Know a few people who's hearts broke trying to keep on top of polished lips.

chrisni1986

RMS Regular
Drives
525 M Sport
if you laquer them it dulls the shine... just give them a wipe with a wet cloth every nite so no dirt sits on them and give them a good clean at least once a week and they'll be fine..

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
i would laquer them they will end up pitted and corroded if not polished every few days

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Fook that... I'll laquer them then...

I was thinking about it last night and reckon if I'm rubbing at the lip constantly I will end up wearing through the paint on the wheel face closest to the lip (if you get me)

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
My advice would be not to laquer them, you will regret it! As long as you keep the dish clean it will take a few months of no polishing for them to pit and corrode. Autosol them once every two weeks, thats all you need to do. If you laquer them and then get one teeny stone chip it'll all start to crack and peel off. I researched this decision ages ago when I DIY polished the lip on the Golf wheels and I was told not to laquer them.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Slide-force has a point. If the lacquer gets chipped you're snookered. I suppose if they were "sealed" with some sort of wax it'd take a while for them to corrode

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
What I was told to do was polish em all up nice and put on a coat of a good durable wax, leave them overnight and buff it off in the morning. A wheel sealant would be even better.

Twain

RMS Regular
lacquer will prob flake off and youd be back to square one, polish then a few coats of wheel sealant would do the trick.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Then when it gets to the stage you can't be arsed polishing them every few days just rub a bit of vasoline/grease over them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.