Today's Ulster Rally 2019

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
KULC0946[1].JPG

TODAY’S ANNOUNCED AS ULSTER RALLY SPONSOR
Leading local convenience store, Today’s, has been announced as the headline sponsor of the 2019 Ulster Rally, which will be taking place on Friday 16th and Saturday 17th August.

Today’s is operated by local wholesaler Savage and Whitten (S&W) and is based at Carnbane Business Park in Newry – the new host city of the 2019 Today’s Ulster International Rally. The Managing Director of Today’s, Dessie Boyce, and the business’s Marketing Director, Julie Burden, said they are “delighted” to be joining forces with the closed-roads meeting. “The Ulster Rally has a proud history and reputation for exciting competition,” they said. “We are especially pleased to support the event as it will, for the first time in its history, be based in the city of Newry against the backdrop of the beautiful Mourne Mountains, and receive support from Newry Mourne and Down District Council,” added Dessie and Julie.

S&W Wholesale’s history dates to 1916 with the establishment of Newry Cash and Carry and again to 1920 when J&E Whitten was formed. Both firms merged in 2000 to become S&W – one of the largest independent wholesalers in Northern Ireland and distributor for Today’s.

Today’s currently has 135 shops and local convenience stores throughout Ireland. At the heart of Today’s ethos is providing customers with the best prices and offering an excellent choice of everyday products that have been sourced locally. This is achieved through regular promotional cycles so that Today’s customers are offered non-stop deals all year round. The leading retailer gives customers attractive deals that are unmatched by any of their rivals.

Welcoming Today’s as the headline sponsor of the event, Event Director, Richard Swanston, said: “This will be an exciting year of new beginnings for the Ulster Rally, with the move to Newry and now a new title sponsor. Planning by our experienced team of volunteers has been underway now for several months and after much hard work the arrangements for the 2019 event are now well advanced. The event will take place on Friday 16th and Saturday 17th August. Full details of the route will be announced at the rally launch on Tuesday, June 25th.”

Once again, the Northern Ireland Motor Club organised competition will be a round of the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship, the British Rally Championship and the FIA European Rally Trophy. The FUCHS Lubricants Motorsport UK British Historic Rally Championship and the FUCHS Lubricants Historic Asphalt Rally Championship will also be represented at the new-look Today’s Ulster Rally.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
From what I hear, the Ulster is also going to be a single day rally in 2019 (although the sponsorship deal may have changed that). The start ramp and ceremony will be on the Friday night and rallying on the Saturday.

My personal opinion: One day rallies are brilliant for the NI and Irish National Championships ...... but shouldn’t be eligible for Irish Tarmac Championship or British Rally Championship status.

swansty

RMS Regular
OP
swansty
Drives
Disco and Saxo
You hear correct @davecoupe and there are a number of reasons behind it this year. You aren't the only one with those opinions either but sometimes needs must. Lets see how it goes..

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
You hear correct @davecoupe and there are a number of reasons behind it this year. You aren't the only one with those opinions either but sometimes needs must. Lets see how it goes..

I understand there are reasons, and most of them are financial and are perfectly valid and justifiable .... I’m just looking at it from a selfish point of view.

swansty

RMS Regular
OP
swansty
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Sorry I haven't updated this thread - its been a busy few months getting things organised but we are nearly there. The entry list was almost filled which we are very pleased about. Pattersons pace notes and onthepacenote have both complimented the stages. Now its fingers crossed the printed documents arrive on time and looking forward to service park filling up. Once again there will be a free to download spectator guide on the website from Monday 12th August. www.ulsterrally.com

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
Also there is a shakedown stage which is taking place on the Friday as well.
Road Closes: 17:00
FCD: 18:00
Road Open: 20:30
Shakedown is open for all competitors that have registered for it and they allowed as many passes through the stage as possible within the time limit of closing/opening of the road.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
For such a major event, please employ a pr photographer to get the imagery to support a release, it will sell the event much better.

swansty

RMS Regular
OP
swansty
Drives
Disco and Saxo
For such a major event, please employ a pr photographer to get the imagery to support a release, it will sell the event much better.
Yep, deffo one of the shortcomings this year. Pm me a price of you are interested for future years.

swansty

RMS Regular
OP
swansty
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Finally.... it’s rally weekend. Something woke me about 4 and I haven’t been able to get back to sleep. Not much point now as the alarm goes soon. Unfortunately it sounds like rain outside but it wouldn’t be the Ulster Rally without a pissing wet day.

Free to download programmes are available on the website.

Service park is in Newry High School and our very own @Big Pimp will be in attendance with his Anachem stand.

Ceremonial start is tonight in Albert Basin in Newry. Monster energy are attending and there will be a small static display of classic cars from 6pm with first car over the ramp at 20:45.

I hope that anyone who attends the event has a safe and enjoyable time.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Finally.... it’s rally weekend. Something woke me about 4 and I haven’t been able to get back to sleep. Not much point now as the alarm goes soon. Unfortunately it sounds like rain outside but it wouldn’t be the Ulster Rally without a pissing wet day.

Free to download programmes are available on the website.

Service park is in Newry High School and our very own @Big Pimp will be in attendance with his Anachem stand.

Ceremonial start is tonight in Albert Basin in Newry. Monster energy are attending and there will be a small static display of classic cars from 6pm with first car over the ramp at 20:45.

I hope that anyone who attends the event has a safe and enjoyable time.

I wonder how s&w would feel about an OReillys wholesale sponsored rally car for next year 😂😂😂

Only seeing this now, sounds like it'll be interesting, pity I'm away to Donegal for the weekend and will miss it 😒

Hope it's a great day for everyone involved, and maybe the rain will make it more enjoyable lmao

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Breen must be the most experienced R5 driver out there - is there a car he hasn’t drove yet?

Fair chance he’ll win the championship in the i20 this weekend.

swansty

RMS Regular
OP
swansty
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Breen must be the most experienced R5 driver out there - is there a car he hasn’t drove yet?

Fair chance he’ll win the championship in the i20 this weekend.
I believe technically he can’t

simy

RMS Regular
Will probably take a run over to this tomorrow, any recommendations for a good view point / location?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Will probably take a run over to this tomorrow, any recommendations for a good view point / location?

Seeing snaps from a few mates in the fields around the glen road out by lurganare which seem pretty good