Todd's Estoril Blue BMW F21 M135i

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Looked great on Sunday. I was hoping to get chatting to you but too many people and not enough time :worried:.
Thanks, it was stinking by the time i got down to Pete's. Your's looked the part to. I'll get a chat with you at the next one. (y)

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
While washing the car after the run to PMG for the Cars & Coffee, I noticed the new exhaust tips i fitted were starting to show signs of pitting / corrosion.

I was shocked how bad they were after a 60 mile trip, even when they were sealed up prior to fitting. A quick call to BMW and they were replaced under warranty.

Before fitting the replacement tips, I removed the rear diffuser to have holes smoothed over and painted. BMW must have screwed the number plate on when new, which ruined my plans of using a shorter plate. Waiting for it to be painted then it's MOT time. I’ll give the exhaust and behind the diffuser a clean before refitting.

IMG_7948

IMG_7995

IMG_7996

IMG_8003

IMG_8005

Last edited:

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I've seen a good few newish cars with the black exhaust tips and they seem to pit and corrode very quickly.

Lovely motor btw, really want one of these.

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
God I really want one
Do it!

That is mental about the corrosion, same thing with my S3 tips but Audi didn't even want to know!
I couldn't believe it. I knew they would have corroded again eventually, but i was hoping to get at least the summer out of them. I was speaking to a few guys in BMW and they were saying that they're having terrible trouble with the black chrome tips. I'm surprised BMW haven't revised these by now!

I've seen a good few newish cars with the black exhaust tips and they seem to pit and corrode very quickly.

Lovely motor btw, really want one of these.

Maybe they fit awful tips so you buy the M Performance exhaust quicker? : unamused: Thanks, it's a very fun car to drive. Never get bored of driving it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I painted my tips in high temp matt black paint, they look much better and easier topped up if they go again.

MPE was awful as always had one dirty tip and one clean one. done my head in.

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
I painted my tips in high temp matt black paint, they look much better and easier topped up if they go again.

MPE was awful as always had one dirty tip and one clean one. done my head in.

I painted my old set but going to strip them done and get them done properly, or maybe powdercoat.

I've unplugged the valve, so both pipes always open. Did you have the Carbon or Stainless tips?

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
stainless ones, I defo prefer the black tips in all honesty.

I called into JKC one morning and Gary tried to sell me a M Performance exhaust but the tips put me off it. I like the black if i could keep them looking new!

pablo

RMS Moderator
to be honest they dont add that much to the package. burbles a bit more but cold start is a lot noisier. I wouldnt spend the money on a new one personally. you can get a used one for around 350 and youd sell it again for that after.

Todd

RMS Regular
OP
Todd
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
to be honest they dont add that much to the package. burbles a bit more but cold start is a lot noisier. I wouldnt spend the money on a new one personally. you can get a used one for around 350 and youd sell it again for that after.

I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a backbox either. I watched a few on the forums around the £300 / £350 mark but always talked myself out of it.

What have you planned as a replacement for your car?