Tougher Speeding fines from April (GB, not us)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rachelm

Banned
Highly suggest reading guys: Speeding fine sentences are getting tougher: Here’s what it means for you - Car Keys

Last edited by a moderator:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I don't think this applies here. England and Wales only I believe.... At this moment in time anyway.

They have a lot tougher laws on many things across the water and more speed cameras than I care to count. Must have been 20 of the things in the 30 miles from Derby to my mates house in the peaks.

rachelm

Banned
OP
R
I'm sure I read it's going to be 6 points for using a mobile in England. Should be here as well!

Hope so! Day in day out I'm still seeing people getting away with using phones at the wheel, would be good to see the difference once this has been introduced

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Ah those master criminals the motorist. Never mind going after rapists, pedophiles (well covered up), murderers and the general thugs of society.
Do rapists, pedophiles, murders and general thugs not use cars? Surely if you can get their license off them etc it affects their ability to travel and commit those crimes. Even a good way to get them flagged on systems initially if they arent known.to Police for the crimes youve mentioned. no?

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I give in do they.
I will add, do you think the low life of society even have a license. I'm talking about the man or woman who creeps a few mph over the limit. Using a phone is totally wrong, but with the tech in new cars I can't see how their used systems is any worse than using a phone. The motorist gets hammered because they are an easy target and a cash cow.
Do rapists, pedophiles, murders and general thugs not use cars? Surely if you can get their license off them etc it affects their ability to travel and commit those crimes. Even a good way to get them flagged on systems initially if they arent known.to Police for the crimes youve mentioned. no?

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How bizarre.....speeding fines are to rise to stop people driving dangerously ??

When the **** will these retards learn it isnt speed that is the biggest danger or killer on the roads ??? How the **** is a speeding fine going to stop anyone driving dangerously given the biggest dangerous ****tards on the road and deaths occur below speed limits ? usually because some blind **** drives into the path of another vehicle !

Why are they doing it ?? Clearly they need to rake in more revenue, plain and simple....and in the meantime road deaths will continue to rise. How are they going to explain that to relatives in a few months time ?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I've updated the thread title to reflect the fact that this is only for England and Wales. Plus unfortunately the OP came to an untimely demise as it appears they work in marketing for the website that the article was on.

lee2050

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Ah those master criminals the motorist. Never mind going after rapists, pedophiles (well covered up), murderers and the general thugs of society.

This is utter nonsense. A change in the fine amounts and sanctions delivered will have no impact on the police's ability to fight other crimes - if anything, it'll raise more cash for investment in public services. It'll also act as a method to get dangerous drivers banned sooner, hence making the roads safer for the majority of us who don't use a phone and regularly break the speed limits. If it means that even a small percentage of people slow down in low speed areas around houses and schools as they are at a higher risk of losing their license, then great.

I am all for adjusting the speed limits though, that for me is a bigger gripe. 30mph works in populated areas. 70mph on open roads and motorways does not.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
What do you think is one of the best ways to frustrate criminals? Take the books off them at any oppertunity, agreed some will continue to drive but then the fines/ bans just mount and mount

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What do you think is one of the best ways to frustrate criminals? Take the books off them at any oppertunity, agreed some will continue to drive but then the fines/ bans just mount and mount

You think most criminals go and commit burglaries in their own legal vehicle registered and insured in their own names/addresses ? They'd be pretty dumb if that was the case.

And you think most give a **** about a fine, a ban or any aspect of being legal ? Nope

Just look at all the car thieves around west Belfast, Divis etc.....and the law does so little to stop them. Largely fines and laws like these will only affect people who actually care about trying to stay legal. And in no way whatsoever will increasing speeding fines target dangerous drivers...largely because it is by nature totally ignoring dangerous drivers.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
You think most criminals go and commit burglaries in their own legal vehicle registered and insured in their own names/addresses ? They'd be pretty dumb if that was the case.

And you think most give a **** about a fine, a ban or any aspect of being legal ? Nope

Just look at all the car thieves around west Belfast, Divis etc.....and the law does so little to stop them. Largely fines and laws like these will only affect people who actually care about trying to stay legal. And in no way whatsoever will increasing speeding fines target dangerous drivers...largely because it is by nature totally ignoring dangerous drivers.

I kinda agree...
When you see the courts giving £150 fines to ones for No Insurance and driving whilst disqualified you really do have to wonder....

And Hammer the ones who are fully insured and try to obey the speed limits but accidentally do 50 in a 40....
It's not the police fault....it's the court

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I kinda agree...
When you see the courts giving £150 fines to ones for No Insurance and driving whilst disqualified you really do have to wonder....

And Hammer the ones who are fully insured and try to obey the speed limits but accidentally do 50 in a 40....
It's not the police fault....it's the court

You can bet the police have been pushing for these higher fines though, and not pushing for proper legislation or indeed pushing their own officers to try and catch dangerous drivers properly.

For someone in charge to tell cops to go and park up in a safe location and hide with a speed gun, does absolutely nothing for road safety. That means those cops cannot be patrolling looking for idiots, it means they cannot be attending accidents where someone has proven to be incompetent/dangerous for the entire time they're sitting with that speed gun. It means they wont be charging motorists with dangerous driving for driving in fog with no lights on etc etc etc

All in....their road death policy in action helping people die through inaction.

And if the courts are dealing with nonsense speeding fines too....it's clogging up the system for people who could have been arrested for doing dangerous things ( except weren't ) instead...like crashing, causing harm, causing damage...stealing vehicles etc etc. Except as you say....the courts seem to wave them on by.

And someone who crashes with insurance vs someone who doesnt crash with no insurance.... I think I'd rather the people who dont crash. Ultimately it's safer !

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I havnt seen police with a speed gun in ages...
It's all the civvie camera vans now mainly,
So I don't think that's an argument by suggesting police are wasting time on speeding issues.
Plenty of people get prosecuted for careless and dangerous driving....just because you see careless driving on a daily basis while on the roads going unpunished doesn't mean police see the same thing and do nothing about it!
And higher fines for spending isn't going to clog up the courts....normal speeding issues arnt dealt with by the courts unless excessive so don't see an issue there.
I just wish the courts dealt with the no insurance repeat offenders who don't even have a valid licence more severely

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I havnt seen police with a speed gun in ages...
It's all the civvie camera vans now mainly,
So I don't think that's an argument by suggesting police are wasting time on speeding issues.
Plenty of people get prosecuted for careless and dangerous driving....just because you see careless driving on a daily basis while on the roads going unpunished doesn't mean police see the same thing and do nothing about it!
And higher fines for spending isn't going to clog up the courts....normal speeding issues arnt dealt with by the courts unless excessive so don't see an issue there.
I just wish the courts dealt with the no insurance repeat offenders who don't even have a valid licence more severely

I do a lot of miles, and recently seem them quite often.

Hell...about 3-4 weeks ago there were 2 lots of them on the A1 southbound, AND a camera van about another 400 yards after that. Seriously...WTF ? All 3 within the space of about a mile...and none paying any attention to the junction where idiots usually pull out in front of people causing crashes.

No doubt there are a few who get done for careless or dangerous...but considering they are the ones who actually cause accidents...there isnt enough done to target them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.