Toyota Yaris GR

scub

Banned

Not that I'm counting the sleeps!

so.... any quicker or better than a 20 year old evo or classic scooby?. esp considering a remap to either will nudge them towards 400hp without any real expense.
newer obviously. but you're not buying it for the laptop screen & ipod connection 🤷‍♂️
genuine question not trolling.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
so.... any quicker or better than a 20 year old evo or classic scooby?. esp considering a remap to either will nudge them towards 400hp without any real expense.
newer obviously. but you're not buying it for the laptop screen & ipod connection 🤷‍♂️
genuine question not trolling.

JCR development one is sitting at 310 with a dtuk box, TTE have a turbo upgrade for them that'll bring them to 380odd iirc and hks have theirs at 475.

Plenty of tuning potential especially given the 1600 3 cylinder powerplant. Much easier to ring extra power from a 2000 4 cylinder I'd imagine.

All around they just look like they are an excellent bit of kit. Especially compared to other new cars. I'd grown bored of hatches in general as they all follow the same ethos. This just seems completely different.

Half a V6 with a good exhaust and I'm sure it'll sound great in person. Some of the videos sound very nice tbh

scub

Banned
JCR development one is sitting at 310 with a dtuk box, TTE have a turbo upgrade for them that'll bring them to 380odd iirc and hks have theirs at 475.

Plenty of tuning potential especially given the 1600 3 cylinder powerplant. Much easier to ring extra power from a 2000 4 cylinder I'd imagine.

All around they just look like they are an excellent bit of kit. Especially compared to other new cars. I'd grown bored of hatches in general as they all follow the same ethos. This just seems completely different.

Half a V6 with a good exhaust and I'm sure it'll sound great in person. Some of the videos sound very nice tbh
oh indeed I like the whole principle of the yaris. am just wondering is it something that became 'untrendy' becoming fashionable again.?
after the gtr & dsg gearbags totally moved the goalposts for performance.
the only brand I can think of that held on to an old school gearstick is Porsche with its 100 grand gt variations.
so I'm loving the idea of a wee 3 cyl rocket. 👌

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
In truth Toyota probably had no reason to build such a wee monster other than they could. They didn’t do it with the Supra - and it’s a great car in its own right but won’t get away from the fact it’s a platform share. Same with the GT86 - great judged on its own merits but many felt too slow/underpowered.

You can’t buy nor have you been able to buy a “proper” homologation special like the Yaris for two decades. (Hoping to be proved wrong and looking forward to discussion of what those cars where)

So back to evos and scoobys. I had a few classic imprezas back in the day so I will consider them as I did love them. So... I tell you what I’ve had several generations of BMW diesel since that would be considerably faster. And had understeer that an RS Audi would be proud of. The rose tinted glasses need to really come off and the 555 jacket left at the cloakroom.

As a standard car the Yaris massively outclasses the old Scooby. Two decades of engineering development guarantee that. I still love Imprezas too don’t get me wrong but they are not where I’m spending my cash. They are a classic - that’s their appeal rather than a back road racer they once where.

It’s amazing though that the Yaris is mentioned in the same breath as Lancer or Impreza. Who would have thought it!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Both going well there :cool: You can see how much more traction the Yaris has through the corners, looks really well balanced.

Some squeal off your brakes though :innocent:😁

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You need AP brakes on the Leon. Not cheap, but you won't believe the difference on track.

clm94

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR 1.6
80F79D15-FF75-4530-AE03-BC21ED5D2E3D.jpeg

Someone’s going to be happy driving away in this today 👀👀

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't mind it in any colour, can't see the colour from the inside :innocent:

Red is nice, just wish there was a yellow option 😁