Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
What age is the TR7 @IL? There seem to be a rule if the car is Pre 5/85 then it falls under different laws around what is required in terms of glass! Minefield....

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Can anyone Advise...

Polycarbonate door windows... MOT Pass or Fail?
Thanks @PaulYDP & @svensktoppen kinda what I thought tho, grey area..

Not dying about having to store and swap a pair of doors annually or take Stenaline to Scotland!

is @NI_Volvo_Nut still an MOT Tester?
Nope, out over 3 years now however Perspex is only allowed if its safety marked

Just saying, nothing in the testers manual about door glass being a requirement......

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Nope, out over 3 years now however Perspex is only allowed if its safety marked

Just saying, nothing in the testers manual about door glass being a requirement......

Interesting, its a propper Lexan CNC formed windows I bought but I need to check if they are Safety Marked.

I haven't even opened the box they came in 3years ago.

But they will most certainly fail anyway as they are Grey Tinted.

I might have the opportunity to change them or Exchange them for clear, if I was certain clear would Pass an NI MOT

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
What age is the TR7 @IL? There seem to be a rule if the car is Pre 5/85 then it falls under different laws around what is required in terms of glass! Minefield....

1982 @PaulYDP

Have you a link to where you read this?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Must check the ground clearance on my S30, its not much, my exhausts scrapes under full acceleration in low gears.

I checked with Blairs when looking for somehwere to do my work but they couldn't fit me in for something like year.

Reactions: IL

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Hope you've got a few minutes to go through the weeds to find what you need....

Start here - page 30 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/pdfs/uksi_20010025_en.pdf This refers to the date where regulations change.

Based on that it means that this is the legislation your car is governed by - The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
DVA regulations are only taken and don't strictly refer to construction and use regs
https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.u...structure/drivers-view-of-the-road-dvt908.pdf
In that link you will find all info relating to glass. I noticed to the wording has changed to glass and not glazing, so Perspex would now not be allowed either (maybe it never was, not sure, I understood it had to have a safety maker on it)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
My Conclusion... England FTW (y)

Thanks @NI_Volvo_Nut @svensktoppen @PaulYDP

Must check the ground clearance on my S30, its not much, my exhausts scrapes under full acceleration in low gears.

I checked with Blairs when looking for somehwere to do my work but they couldn't fit me in for something like year.

I have been speaking on and off with Blairs for Almost two years, and they haven't mentioned a waiting list.

They have said they where busy, but got the impression it would go down and they would get started just wouldn't be tied to a deadline which doesn't really bother me.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Interesting, its a propper Lexan CNC formed windows I bought but I need to check if they are Safety Marked.

I haven't even opened the box they came in 3years ago.

But they will most certainly fail anyway as they are Grey Tinted.

I might have the opportunity to change them or Exchange them for clear, if I was certain clear would Pass an NI MOT

I've polycarb side windows in my mx5, end up either taking the windows out or changing the doors for mot. As far as I can remember front 3 windows have to be glass.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
If it’s anything like my MOT experience, the examiners will be more interested in the car and won’t want to fail it..

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Most MoT folks I've come across have been just fine. They don't want to fail anyone for something stupid if they can avoid it. They just don't write the rules.

The few times I've been failed have been for genuine issues or only my own fault.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Agree on the MOT, even with my crappy mx5 targa car, they were asking loads of questions and didnt really look over it that closely. There wasnt anything big to worry about but I deffo got the impression there wouldn't have been any bother.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
See what the best option is closer to the time, poly windows might not be the only concern.

Attachments

• 2DAB8EAE-08E2-4362-84A2-3488793BAF49.jpeg
    2DAB8EAE-08E2-4362-84A2-3488793BAF49.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 239

Airhead

RMS Regular
The testers' manual looks clear enough to me - if it's first used pre-June 1978 you're fine. After that you're in the lap of the gods. Why not give them a ring at Boucher to see what they say?

Edit: I've just spotted it's 1982 - nothing to lose by giving them a shout and/or chancing your luck when the time comes - as previously said, most testers will be more interested in having something so far away from the norm to test that they won't care about the windows!

BTW the C&U Regs quoted above do not apply here - ours are: Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999

Last edited:
Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Decided to make a change to the throttle setup in the TR, future intentions for the car would be to install an S62B50 engine from an E39 M5.

With that in mind, I’ve decided to do away with the standard cable operated throttle. I was already struggling with for throttle travel against the bulkhead.

Decision made to install FBW system, using an E92 M3 Pedal, and an inlet manifold from a newer 4.4L X5 with an electronic throttle body.

It will be managed through the DTA S100Pro ECU combined with the DTA Electronic throttle module. This will allow for Flat upshift on the Tractive gearbox and AutoBlip on the down change, meaning No need to clutch on either up or down shifts.

Considering adding wheel speed sensors also to make use of the Lauch Control and Traction Control systems the ECU can control.

7A7D6F54-2163-425B-A1BE-A3039FB62696.jpeg

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The rear windows can be polycarbonate but front door glass and windscreen must be glass. I used to just lift the two front windows out of the mini for MOT and it passed fine with no windows in the doors at all

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
The rear windows can be polycarbonate but front door glass and windscreen must be glass. I used to just lift the two front windows out of the mini for MOT and it passed fine with no windows in the doors at all

The Throttle weight of the standard pedal is so nice! It would be handy to use the whole rhing Providing it can be mounted easily!

Flat shift and flat downshift :heart_eyes: Animal!

Should sound a lot like this... :scream::heart_eyes:

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Get one into the Westie! Check out flatshifter.com I’ve one on my car and they make gear changes so much nicer on the bike engine!

I have the Flatshifter Expert system going into the Midget on the Elite Gearbox! Hoping it’s a good job!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Get one into the Westie! Check out flatshifter.com I’ve one on my car and they make gear changes so much nicer on the bike engine!

I have the SBD flat shift and auto blip but I can’t seem to get it to take the gear without clutching, don’t know if the cable isn’t man enough to pull it into gear or if there’s a problem with the flat shift wiring