Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Those discs are amazing, I didn’t realise it was a thing to have them made especially.

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS

Some Marking out & Cad Templete, Prit stick and a Drill 👍👍

6863EA12-7048-4D5E-B077-7843ACE47015.jpeg
3F2213F6-5146-47DA-8071-881821F91FCF.jpeg
A2C0B83D-D6E1-4EDD-B170-445D74047731.jpeg

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
I would imagine you’d be best with an engine builder who could also tune it. Any other way and one will blame the other.... that’s life

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I would imagine you’d be best with an engine builder who could also tune it. Any other way and one will blame the other.... that’s life

Exactly John!

TDP will be giving it the once over, installing the cams, running it in & mapping it.

I had hoped KGP in Donegal would do it but he has a backlog of 30odd engines to build 😧

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Any builder or tuner will have had an issue at some point. It might be a component failure, or the customer says "get every last drop out of it", or someone else built it, or just **** happens or whatever. Then the rumour mill kicks into overdrive as usual, nobody has a clue what actually happened or even if anything did happen, just "all their engines blow up".

Just make sure whoever builds it also maps it, that way there is no argument. And be clear about if you want it reliable or want to tune the life out of it, etc.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Any builder or tuner will have had an issue at some point. It might be a component failure, or the customer says "get every last drop out of it", or someone else built it, or just **** happens or whatever. Then the rumour mill kicks into overdrive as usual, nobody has a clue what actually happened or even if anything did happen, just "all their engines blow up".

Just make sure whoever builds it also maps it, that way there is no argument. And be clear about if you want it reliable or want to tune the life out of it, etc.

Go to someone with the best possible Reputation and Cross your fingers 😂 :grinning:

Without going for a Full rebuild, nailing together an engine that's got 100k on it and been in a car that was Rolled on a fast long corner at 130mph, the mappers they have plenty of avenues to creep up if it goes wrong.

Finding someone game to map a Frankenstein that is familiar the hardware and software is difficult!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Busying myself in the Background preparing the Engine, Gearbox & Wheels for Race Rubber.

@PeteMoore had prepared some parts for me, closing up parts of the waterpump, blocking pipes for environmental crap, Fuel Rail Fittings & Removing Oil caps and Battery terminal from the rocker covers.

2798ea8d-eb2b-4f89-8023-686a6af9e68a.JPG

90fa4bd1-d270-4d75-9ac4-defd73ebe3bc.JPG

f6c35b97-7506-46e5-8ede-15bde951a924.JPG

20e2f207-45a0-475d-a4eb-e08ca7fc0d6a.JPG

This Allowed me to start and transfer the Sump system etc from the old M62 engine and finalise the oil pump mounts, sort the fuel rails and induction trumpets, filters etc.

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Final few jobs before the engine goes to Wicklow for a check over and tuney bits..

Currently waiting on the flywheel to be made so I can mount the gearbox, measure for a new input shaft & also build up the clutch to have a spacer machined to set the slave cylinder clearance so all is ready to bolt into the shell when it returns.

Due to the tight fit of exhaust manifolds I have had to remove the studs from the head, and convert the bolts, obviously the threads in the alloy head would not last long, so I installed helicoils at each exhaust pick up, typical for the Tap to break in the head on the last stud :sob:

So in the Process now of trying to remove it.. Trying with Carbide drills, anyone else can anyone advise if this is the best drill for removing hardened steel?

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

Oh and the new wheels are machined up for Grp4 fitment, Powder coated and ready to be bolted together for a trial fit :laughing:

5F211BA8-90F6-4906-B759-EBFAFF420F79.JPG

11.5" Rears with 5" Dish 😍

Attachments

• IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 116

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If a true carbide drill isnt doing it.....it'll be machine shop time. Maybe spark erosion or something ? But tapping aluminium....you shouldnt be breaking taps !

The wheels....are the faces that touch the front/rear sections powdercoated ? Is that normal ?
Powdercoating is soft, it will squish, generally anything that goes face to face, it is best not to have powdercoat on it.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
If a true carbide drill isnt doing it.....it'll be machine shop time. Maybe spark erosion or something ? But tapping aluminium....you shouldnt be breaking taps !

The wheels....are the faces that touch the front/rear sections powdercoated ? Is that normal ?
Powdercoating is soft, it will squish, generally anything that goes face to face, it is best not to have powdercoat on it.

thanks stevie,

I’ll buff the PC off the hub face side and the nut face to avoid any worry’s! As for the tapping, I got abit hungry on the forward drive and as you know I probably should have gone in 360deg then 180deg back to break the swarf but unfortunately my chinese taps broke :worried:

ps it was tungsten carbide, true carbide are now in the post!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A lot of drill bits say carbide etc, but are often just a coating.

ie. I've used this before on hardened steel, where the likes of HSS and other bits wouldnt even make a mark. This drilled it with ease. They are very brittle though

hard bit for your task in hand, is holding the drill in the right place. Other option is trying to weld a nut onto what's left, but that can be difficult if it's buried too far.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Busying myself in the Background preparing the Engine, Gearbox & Wheels for Race Rubber.

@PeteMoore had prepared some parts for me, closing up parts of the waterpump, blocking pipes for environmental crap, Fuel Rail Fittings & Removing Oil caps and Battery terminal from the rocker covers.

View attachment 254928

View attachment 254927

View attachment 254929

View attachment 254926

This Allowed me to start and transfer the Sump system etc from the old M62 engine and finalise the oil pump mounts, sort the fuel rails and induction trumpets, filters etc.

View attachment 254930

View attachment 254933

Final few jobs before the engine goes to Wicklow for a check over and tuney bits..

Currently waiting on the flywheel to be made so I can mount the gearbox, measure for a new input shaft & also build up the clutch to have a spacer machined to set the slave cylinder clearance so all is ready to bolt into the shell when it returns.

Due to the tight fit of exhaust manifolds I have had to remove the studs from the head, and convert the bolts, obviously the threads in the alloy head would not last long, so I installed helicoils at each exhaust pick up, typical for the Tap to break in the head on the last stud :sob:

So in the Process now of trying to remove it.. Trying with Carbide drills, anyone else can anyone advise if this is the best drill for removing hardened steel?

View attachment 254935

View attachment 254934

Oh and the new wheels are machined up for Grp4 fitment, Powder coated and ready to be bolted together for a trial fit :laughing:

View attachment 254936

11.5" Rears with 5" Dish 😍
8o| This will probably sound gash but I've used masonry nails to break up taps that have broken off in blind holes before. I didn't have access to drills hard enough to try and clean it out that way so I just chipped away at it with obo nails and it broke up pretty easily because it was so brittle. They were the only thing I had in the garage that was as hard as the tap. Bit chancy alright but gets the debris out so you can insert it or whatever. Done it a couple of times now and it's worked fine.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
8o| This will probably sound gash but I've used masonry nails to break up taps that have broken off in blind holes before. I didn't have access to drills hard enough to try and clean it out that way so I just chipped away at it with obo nails and it broke up pretty easily because it was so brittle. They were the only thing I had in the garage that was as hard as the tap. Bit chancy alright but gets the debris out so you can insert it or whatever. Done it a couple of times now and it's worked fine.

Off to get some masonry nails and try this!! I had seen them being smashed using liquid nitrogen & a punch on YouTube!

@stevieturbo thankfully I’ve a Drill nicely started on it!!

@gixermark it will be finished one day

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, the colder the tap / head is the better as it's more brittle. Leave it outside on a cold night for a good cold soak to get the whole block and heads down to a good low temp. (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
@FM155 legend!! A couple of good slaps with a centre punch broke it in bits.. Managed to salvage enough threads to get an insert in & job jobbed without having to go oversize on the bolt or insert.

D976C2E9-207B-4B0B-9178-799AC097D64C.jpeg

C511B6B4-2435-41BE-BFA1-3F3C3BD4578A.jpeg

E5D6B3DA-71DD-410D-9F06-3F2268DC9D0D.jpeg

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Good thing to know there. Wonder would freeze spray have made it more brittle and even easier to smash

PS, the rocker finish looks great. What sort of hp are you likely to get? Is the vanos still operational or not?

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good thing to know there. Wonder would freeze spray have made it more brittle and even easier to smash

Yeah it would, but where would you source freeze spray?

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Plumbers merchants have freeze sprays for blocking pipes to stop water flowing towards a leak when they are trying to fix it.

Edit: That stuff looks the ticket, glad it worked ok. (y)

Last edited: