Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Thanks Folks,

Timing dialled abit closer so starting nicely now..

Working on the Dash2 Dislay today because I can only monitor the engine live through the ECU software currently.

View attachment 321802

CANBUS interface is a Bollocks - 6 hours at it today and I'm no further forward!
It would make a lot more sense just to take it straight to the man that's mapping and let him sort it all out?

SRD700

RMS Member
Drives
TR7V8
Hi Iain, great to see you have the engine running, ref CANBUS have you set the format output and Baud rate in the ECU to suit the dash? Is there a termination resistor (120R) fitted in the loom near the dash?
Cheers
Steve

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Hi Iain, great to see you have the engine running, ref CANBUS have you set the format output and Baud rate in the ECU to suit the dash? Is there a termination resistor (120R) fitted in the loom near the dash?
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, we had one installed at the ECU end but then found the ECU already has this Termination at its end.

The Dash runs a CAN adapter cable which Converts the Signal to (Analogue?) and into 2x 9 pin Serial ports. The cable is sealed, There is no where to place a resistor pre CAN adaptor or at the Dash end without pulling to adapter loom to bits.

Had a good play with output frequency today at the ECU (output end) but still reading no data.

I'll have another go tomorrow!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sounds like some "basic" setup missing, but with these things nothing is ever "basic"... At least once you get it working you won't have to mess with it again.

All this modern lark, lol - there's something to be said about a couple of mechanical cables and some dials :innocent: 😅

Reactions: IL

SRD700

RMS Member
Drives
TR7V8
Hi Iian. Has the CAN to RS232 apdator been set up to suit your ECU, also have you connected to the dash with a RS232 to USB adaptor and run the config sowftware?

SRD700

RMS Member
Drives
TR7V8
Looking the race technology web site, i think there Dash 2 pro might be a better option, as its got direct CAN connections, have you confirmed with Race Technology that the data format from the Link ECU’s are compatable?, so just throw more money at the project!
Cheers Steve

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
More money is always the correct solution 😅

The Link ECU is so commonly used for literally everything it would be very surprising if someone built something that didn't work with them.

But who knows.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
All this modern lark, lol - there's something to be said about a couple of mechanical cables and some dials :innocent: 😅

I'm Definitely remembering why I Put analog Gauges in the Midget now - I Had a Shocker with a Full Stack Dash in my last Race Westfield!

Looking the race technology web site, i think there Dash 2 pro might be a better option, as its got direct CAN connections, have you confirmed with Race Technology that the data format from the Link ECU’s are compatable?, so just throw more money at the project!
Cheers Steve

I have a guy who knows these things coming to look at it this week, I'm done playing with it.

Race Tech Say its compatible - almost bought an AIM Dash yesterday I was so Fed up, but giving it one last chance.

I think the full colour display would look out of place in a 'Classic' car.

I have been drawing up a backing plate this morning for the steering wheel to Pick up Paddles - I Bought some Geartronics kit 8o|

Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 11.51.54.png

IMG_8982.jpeg

I'll have the template water jetted in Carbon Fibre to Mount Paddles and Two switches for Neutral Selection & Launch Control Activation.

IMG_8983.jpeg

IMG_8984.jpeg

IMG_8985.jpeg

Geartronics 2 Way valve block for Pneumatic Gearshift Actuation & Geartronics Air Accumulator with Integrated Regulator & Sensor :grinning:

More money is always the correct solution 😅

The Link ECU is so commonly used for literally everything it would be very surprising if someone built something that didn't work with them.

Funnily the Dash2 Pro is the Actual Dash Link used for almost 10years as their Dash so you'd expect it would be alittle more user friendly even with the regular Dash2.

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
And Still fighting with the Digital Dash Manufacturers!!

Fed up Messing around with this so there is a Cheap Race Technology Dash2 for sale if anyone is interested..

Can't get it to CAN interface with the ECU but it can be run with regular Senders easily.

Incoming AIM Strada Dash -

aim-strada-mxs-s-i-odb11-msar.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Bummer, but I think you'll be better off to be honest. I have an Aim lap timer and it's a fantastic quality piece of kit. If the dash is anything like that then it will be great.

Keep it simple and just wire in a few basic sensors for now, temps and pressures. And use the built in lap timing. Worry about the fancy stuff later. You'll probably not actually need any of it :innocent:

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
AIM is a far nicer and more versatile dash anyway.

I tried the Dash2 years ago myself, and gave up as their support was useless.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Bummer, but I think you'll be better off to be honest. I have an Aim lap timer and it's a fantastic quality piece of kit. If the dash is anything like that then it will be great.

Keep it simple and just wire in a few basic sensors for now, temps and pressures. And use the built in lap timing. Worry about the fancy stuff later. You'll probably not actually need any of it :innocent:

I Guess things have moved on, I bought the Dash2 in 2017 and colour screens where really only coming on the scene then.

AIM is a far nicer and more versatile dash anyway.

I tried the Dash2 years ago myself, and gave up as their support was useless.

I had seen some of your posts on the Link forum regarding the Dash2

Hopefully get it installed over the next week or two so I can visibly monitor the Oil Pressure etc while it runs up to temp..

Agreed, their technical support is sh*te..

After a week of emails the tech guy had an unbelievable attitude on the phone, & I was ready to stick the dash down his throat.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
No idea what sort of CAN protocol these use but I have to say the VDO can gauges I used in the GMC where class, They run J1939 and id them all setup off one canbus in 30 min after wiring them in.
They have a small LCD that can display anything I really want thats on the CAN network as well. Id imagine the origial owners in 1953 could have only dreamed of the pleasue of seeing thier instant fuel consumption while driving along :p

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
AIM looks :heart_eyes:

Yes its far fresher looking - but I really wanted to avoid a colour display in a Classic car.

Same reason I haven't put one piece of Carbon Fibre on it, I wanted it keep it all looking quite Factory or at least of the Era.

I Wish i'd just stuck in a small pod of Analogue Gauges!
No idea what sort of CAN protocol these use but I have to say the VDO can gauges I used in the GMC where class, They run J1939 and id them all setup off one canbus in 30 min after wiring them in.
They have a small LCD that can display anything I really want thats on the CAN network as well. Id imagine the origial owners in 1953 could have only dreamed of the pleasue of seeing thier instant fuel consumption while driving along :p

This is Part of the Problem - to me CAN is Black Magic & I have no interest in trying to understand it lol I hate Electrics

I just want something that works properly so I can get on with the rest of the long list before Mapping! :laughing:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree with keeping it period. But it is a race car, nothing wrong with embracing that. The stuff people get away with on the "classic" racing circuit, lol.

A few nice VDO dials would definitely do the job and keep the "oem" look. That's what I did with the Lotus.

I'm sure you'll make the Aim work though (y)

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
:heart_eyes: Love the AIM dash!

I think one of the next things for my car is to go for a full digital dash but been trying to decide what way to go. I don't have a fancy ECU or CAN so it'll just be VDO sensor approach I think. Was looking at the Strada this week but it's out of reach!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
:heart_eyes: Love the AIM dash!

I think one of the next things for my car is to go for a full digital dash but been trying to decide what way to go. I don't have a fancy ECU or CAN so it'll just be VDO sensor approach I think. Was looking at the Strada this week but it's out of reach!

What about a half price Dash2 Paul? :p

All the above doesnt make for a good advert, but convinced its the CAN interface thats causing the problems!

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you just plug sensors straight into the dash 2 and ignore the can stuff then it might be ok... I guess it's the customer service that would be most off-putting. Could be worth a punt at the right price @PaulYDP :innocent:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
What about a half price Dash2 Paul? :p

All the above doesnt make for a good advert, but convinced its the CAN interface thats causing the problems!

I'll be honest and say you definitely didn't do a good job at selling it to me up there! I'll maybe look into how much of a job it would be to convert over to it but the talk of poor customer service etc doesn't fill me with confidence!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Link resell AIM products, so it should be a doddle to get it all working as they'll have configs for it.