Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Interested to see how you go about this. I could use some on mine.

Make sure to make provision for mounting them now before you car is painted.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the right type of Fine, Durable, flexible plastic... Again something from another manufacturer would probably be best with a Large Flat Arch!

Well down my to do list tho in fairness!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Personally I'd have inner arches higher on the list. Although after engine and stuff, lol. Keep the worst of stones and muck and water away from all that fresh and newly painted metal inside. Just went to some lengths to source a couple of replacements for my own cars. But then my cars probably get driven more than this one will :innocent:

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I have had the car out a few times trying to trace the misfire - it runs lovely with the Bonnet off with only a slight hesitation at the bottom of the Rev range..

I assume this to due to fueling, the open inlets and the under bonnet temps still - so i will be converting the open trumpets back to the Full OEM M5 Plenum with long runners, Fuel rail and Fuel Pressure regulator.. not ideal but at this stage i want to get it running nicely and safely..

393897.jpg

runners.jpg

Unfortunately it will need mapped again after, however it 'should' return more torque.. (not that its needed)

It is very very difficult to drive on the road - my decision to keep the car was based on putting some road miles on it and 'using it'

With the current gearbox setup, not only is the clutch pedal about 1" long, the tall first gear is just too difficult to live with, the close ratio box is manic with 375lbft on tap through 13" wheels is seriously lively up into 4th and 5th gear, most likely fine with slicks but bonkers on Road tyres..

So I'm in the Process of gathering the parts to install a different Flywheel, to replace the 7" twin plate clutch with the factory sized Single plate 240mm Clutch, install the 6-Speed Getrag 420G box (M5/E46 M3) which will without doubt make it much easier to drive and slightly more lazy between gearchanges..

Seems a pity to dilute the whole thing, but i really want to make it Reliable enough to take on a club run or a decent Sunday drive.

It will still be more than Potent enough for trackdays!

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
It's not diluting, it's making it work better for you so you can enjoy it more đź‘Ť

Exactly, that's how i'm looking at it..

Hopefully i'll have the Modifications done in time for the longer evenings and better Weather so it this summer.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
sounds like a plan. its not much use if its not fun to drive. unless its a race car, which it isnt.

That's it, i have have a balls out racer already so this just has to be fun and reliable now! :grinning:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Have you looked at live data while driving it? Could well be leaning out somewhere or perhaps a timing blip in the map. Shame to lose the ITB's really but if it works, it works I guess. Totally get making the clutch more friendly though, it's one aspect of competition cars that I always disliked tbh.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Have you looked at live data while driving it? Could well be leaning out somewhere or perhaps a timing blip in the map. Shame to lose the ITB's really but if it works, it works I guess. Totally get making the clutch more friendly though, it's one aspect of competition cars that I always disliked tbh.

No i haven't, its not set up to log yet and watching anything other than the road is it is pretty impossible while driving it & illegal to run without a bonnet so those have been short journeys!!

The ITBs are still in there, although BMW call it a Plenum because there are two further airboxes that house the filters..

2.JPG

1.JPG

Yep the clutch is a complete pain in the hole, but when its opened up its a joy to use flat out - even if you do need earplugs to drown out the straight cut cogs!

Unfortunately that's about 5% of the time on Road!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
defo doing the right thing mate.... different if it was balls out for some of that racing in england that it may fit into..... but for a useable fun car, defo the more road friendly box etc and manners !! will make you use it more (or use it at all !!) so for sure the right path

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I had that kind of airbox in the Lotus when it was still a Rover in there. It encloses the ITB trumpets, and then you can duct fresh air directly into it from the outside via one of those flexible air duct hoses. Just makes the air supply so much more consistent than using air from the engine bay.

That said, surprised the mapper didn't map it with the bonnet on if it is really that sensitive...

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
defo doing the right thing mate.... different if it was balls out for some of that racing in england that it may fit into..... but for a useable fun car, defo the more road friendly box etc and manners !! will make you use it more (or use it at all !!) so for sure the right path

Exactly Mark, the more reliable and useable i can make it the more it is likely to get used!

Might Even put some bigger mirrors on it and fit a more comfortable seat (def. softening with age)

I had that kind of airbox in the Lotus when it was still a Rover in there. It encloses the ITB trumpets, and then you can duct fresh air directly into it from the outside via one of those flexible air duct hoses. Just makes the air supply so much more consistent than using air from the engine bay.

That said, surprised the mapper didn't map it with the bonnet on if it is really that sensitive...

I was advised by the mapper that this was the best route (sealed Airbox) and i supplied the car without the bonnet, i guess he was only doing as he was told..

This time i'm not sure its worth the grief of treking to Wicklow - so ill try to get someone else to look at it i reckon.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Might Even put some bigger mirrors on it and fit a more comfortable seat (def. softening with age)

My god man you really are aging!!!!

My GT3 has the 18 way comfort
Seats, perfect for you down the line! I’ll
Look after it for ya meantime!!!

• Love

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Ah right, see what the craic is. Absoloutely the simplest option to put the plenum back on, probably take the edge off the noise too and make it more road-able.
I'll volunteer for a bit of road based data analysis all the same just to save you all that work changing stuff over lol..

Yeah, comfier seats, different clutch and maybe a bit of carpet and underlay would make it a comfier road missile for sure. (y)

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Good to see you making the changes needed to make it enjoyable for you to drive how you intend to, no point in it otherwise. Its for this reason that I avoid doing certain things to my cars if their use will mostly road.

I think for a road car, the plenum makes sense, as there would be little airflow in slow moving or stationary traffic and even when you are moving at a rate the proper supply of cold air will have decent benefits. I'm sure I even noticed it on my Civic once I added a proper isolated cold air intake.

Its definitely a pain to have to get it mapped again, I know as mine is mapped in England and I will need to remap again because I plan to change to a better equal length downpipe and some air intake improvements, simple changed but means a trip to England.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Ah right, see what the craic is. Absoloutely the simplest option to put the plenum back on, probably take the edge off the noise too and make it more road-able.
I'll volunteer for a bit of road based data analysis all the same just to save you all that work changing stuff over lol..

Noise from the engine isn't too bad, noise i can deal with, misfires and potential engine death id rather avoid!

Praying the air box clears the bonnet, one due next week so ill know soon..

I think for a road car, the plenum makes sense, as there would be little airflow in slow moving or stationary traffic and even when you are moving at a rate the proper supply of cold air will have decent benefits. I'm sure I even noticed it on my Civic once I added a proper isolated cold air intake.

Certainly is the most simple option, but i detest the plastic look of the Airbox and i tried to avoid it.. but i guess BMW didn't spend time & money producing a pretty smart plenum with wacky runners for no reason!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
To be honest, as far as plastic plenums go the standard one isn't that bad looking, and functionally does what it needs to. A full carbon one would be nice though (just not carbon dipping imo, given how quality the rest of the car is).

Obvious question, but assume the standard plenum will fit under the bonnet ok?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
you could always paint the top cover and get a wee custom inlay make it quite smart looking.

Still not infitting on a classic, always going to read As a big lump of plastic if its painted or not!!

@svensktoppen Totally avoiding carbon on this car, had my westfields dripping in it (waste of money) and now i work with it daily so i'm over it, horrible black stuff!

Off topic slightly but discussing mappers, is your man from Ballymoney still tuning cars? Can't remember his name but from memory did @KeithRobinson nova?

That'll be steven Gault, yeah he is still building engines and mapping in Ballymoney

Obvious question, but assume the standard plenum will fit under the bonnet ok?

It will be very very tight if it does, ive one coming in the post to find out, if not ill have to 'adjust' it or get creative with the bonnet :worried: