Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I had the car up forsale a few months ago some of you may remember..

This was for many reasons, Time to use, Complexity, and Enthusiasm, so I decided to make the car more useable by removing the Sequential gearbox, Finding a Replacement M5 V8 Box was proving Difficult.

Along came a buyer for my Gearbox - but he wanted the Engine with my ECU / Map also - Therefore the S62 V8 will me taking a trip on a Pallet to the Gold Coast (Brisbane AU) to be slotted into an E24 635i :grinning:

IMG_7043.jpeg

The Engine was just far too much for the Chassis, and in my opinion too front heavy that the handling was not as sharp as it could be..

So I am taking a step back 50years & installing a 4.6L Fuel Injected Rover V8, it weighs 60kg less and will produce around 300hp with some light work, it will be run on a Wetsump for reliability and I should be able to place it right back where the Bmw unit as it looks like a Toy Beside it.

It will Still be no slouch at around 325hp/ton but it should be way more Useable, Tractable & Also fit into many more motorsport classes with its 'original' engine intact!

So this week I bought a JE Developments 4.8L Stroked Race Engine for fairly handy money, it came complete with DTA Management and wiring loom. It had a rod put through its sump on the Previous owner - I will break this, keep the Stage 3 heads with Oversize valves and any other tasty bits I need for the install.

IMG_1849.JPG

Cylinder Heads.jpg

Porting.jpg

Still on the lookout for a Complete 4.6L P38 Gems Range Rover Engine as a base if anyone knows where there is one?

$_86.JPG

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That looks a lot more at home in there. And sequential is no fun outside a race track.

It's weird how far things travel, seeing the BMW stuff went to Australia. When I broke the Rover from the Lotus the gearbox went to France. Chap sent a truck up to collect it. The cam cover went to Malaysia, that boy spent twice the value of the part on postage.

Reactions: IL

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Nothing wrong with that at all tbh, the RV8's are mega light, lighter than the old BMC B series that was in the MGB's etc. (That wouldn't have been hard tbh)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
When I sold my old 4.6, I sold it to Norway around 20 years ago. Pretty sure it was the same guy who had put an RV8 into the front of a Mini many years before

Have you tried Jim Robinson ? Certainly this side of the water he'd be a good shout.

Other than that it'd be phoning around the V8 guys in England

Or try and find a Range Rover...at least then you can verify it is running ok, with no liner issues. Quite a few listing breakers on Marketplace in England

And a good few listings on ebay

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
@stevieturbo Thank you for the links, at the moment I think it would make sense to buy a full engine for ancillaries etc

those short blocks are def. good value with the top hat liners etc. Maybe down the line when ive the whole thing proved out ill go that route

Just on the hunt locally at the moment for an engine, and waiting to hear back from a TR friend in England who has one stuck under his bench that appears to be decent!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Older 3.9 might not be a bad shout ?

They don't suffer the same liner issues some of the later blocks seem to.

Then a decent set of Wildcat or Merlin heads ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Older 3.9 might not be a bad shout ?

They don't suffer the same liner issues some of the later blocks seem to.

Then a decent set of Wildcat or Merlin heads ?

I'll use the Heads off the JE Developments race engine above on a 4.6 Gems Engine is the plan! With a decent cam it will see close to 300hp. Thats the most straight forward route :grinning:

Been in discussions with RPI Rngineering, theyre been very helpful!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Engine sorted.

P38 Cross Bolted 4.6L 225hp / 280lbft Base

10AFE0C7-61E3-4577-AE66-A7EB178F3746.jpeg

Thought i was aswell taking a chance on one from a friend than from some ropey Ebay Breaker!

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Nudge nudge wink wink :innocent: 😁

Ex-Noble stock basically given away :cool:

Looks like it could have equal or more headaches than the BMW unit! 😂

Collecting a Good LT77 Box & Scrap V8 block tonight for fitting purposes 😀

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Always better with something in an actual car anyway. You know it runs, and have all the bits to hand. Nothing cut off or butchered or removed, etc.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Nice thread.

Always has a soft spot for the TR7, suppose I'm a product of my gen.

Hope it comes together without too many more headaches.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Rover V8 Starter Pack

281AFAB8-D4F3-487A-B490-E74E979A70F2.jpeg

Picked up a bare block, sump, standard P38 Engine mounts and a BL LT77 5 Speed Box

Bare block will be easy to work with for mounting purposes at 28kg

Combined, block, heads, crank & sump 69kg, even if it ends up at twice that weight ill be making a front end weight saving of 50kg+ Over the BM unit.

Just crazy how available and Cheap the parts are..

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Rover V8 Starter Pack

View attachment 350660

Picked up a bare block, sump, standard P38 Engine mounts and a BL LT77 5 Speed Box

Bare block will be easy to work with for mounting purposes at 28kg

Combined, block, heads, crank & sump 69kg, even if it ends up at twice that weight ill be making a front end weight saving of 50kg+ Over the BM unit.

Just crazy how available and Cheap the parts are..
That's a serious weight difference!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think there are various kits to fit a BMW 5/6 speed box ? Might be a better idea than the old LT ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I think there are various kits to fit a BMW 5/6 speed box ? Might be a better idea than the old LT ?

Im sure the LT will be fine, im simplifying remember!

No custom flywheels, or funky half worked out clutch arms / slave cylinders that vaguely work!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Modern boxes will be more readily available, stronger, shift smoother, and a wider choice of ratios. Quite a few positives. That said, I don't ever recall the shifting being bad with the old LT.

I changed to a Supra box after chewing up a load of LT's, and that conversion worked perfectly even around 24 years ago. The fitting kit from New Zealand was cheap back then as exchange rate was great...it's not so great now lol.
Although I had to sort my own custom clutch plates for existing flywheel and clutch....no big deal and the Supra box was great.

Supra boxes would be less common and more expensive now though

Most kits should retain the RV8 flywheel and clutch ok, just with a friction disc to suit whatever input shaft is being used.