Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Main thing with an electric pump on a race car would be to keep the coolant circulating after the engine is turned off?

stevyg

RMS Regular
You drive that thing on the road? lmao that's awesome!
An electric water pump frees up rotating mass on your engine for that little squeeze of extra HP. For a race car I'd use one that is a constant speed at whatever LPM flow Vs air velocity you need to get max cooling across the radiator (too much or too little flow does the same damage) so its consistent and not speeding up and slowing down with RPM like a conventional water pump. It's so much more reliable and can keep water circulating after the engine is off. I've lost 2 new race engines from a belt coming loose and overheating and cracking the block in a matter of seconds so I switched to inline electric water pumps and I've had no issues since.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
You drive that thing on the road? lmao that's awesome!
An electric water pump frees up rotating mass on your engine for that little squeeze of extra HP. For a race car I'd use one that is a constant speed at whatever LPM flow Vs air velocity you need to get max cooling across the radiator (too much or too little flow does the same damage) so its consistent and not speeding up and slowing down with RPM like a conventional water pump. It's so much more reliable and can keep water circulating after the engine is off. I've lost 2 new race engines from a belt coming loose and overheating and cracking the block in a matter of seconds so I switched to inline electric water pumps and I've had no issues since.

Thats the plan!

Yeah it was a popular mod with the bike engined crew where squeezing the last few HP out of the engine was difficult, don't think i will bother on this car tho, just something else to plum in and draw electric, my 40A alternator will struggle enough!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@IL I seem to recall you posting a photo somewhere in this thread of another TR7 in the white/blue/red combo. Do you know them? I spotted it on the back of a trailer today on the A75. It was being towed by a grey Porsche Cayenne too- couldn’t believe it!! At first glance I thought you must’ve been busy this last week!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
TR7 went through bloomfield auctions last night for parts or repair.....for £70 :eek:

Yes, i've got a screw loose lol worst man maths ever building a TR7..

@IL I seem to recall you posting a photo somewhere in this thread of another TR7 in the white/blue/red combo. Do you know them? I spotted it on the back of a trailer today on the A75. It was being towed by a grey Porsche Cayenne too- couldn’t believe it!! At first glance I thought you must’ve been busy this last week!

Hi Ian, that is a very common works colour scheme, done on many TR7 across the UK, it was my original plan to do the car like this but there are so many poor examples i decided to keep it plain!

But.. it could also be an ex works car, A75 (stranraer?) There is an ex works car lives on these shores but around Ballymena..

Gambit

RMS Regular

Hi Ian, that is a very common works colour scheme, done on many TR7 across the UK, it was my original plan to do the car like this but there are so many poor examples i decided to keep it plain!

But.. it could also be an ex works car, A75 (stranraer?) There is an ex works car lives on these shores but around Ballymena..
i was wondering if it was you maybe bought it being local to you

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Yes outside Stranraer. The Porsche had a plate beginning N1 which I always associate with someone from NI, so could well have been the Ballymena 1 over on the mainland. Who knows!

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Last bit of Drive train now built and ready to Install..

Earlier today I received the custom input shaft, it took almost 4 weeks to arrive due to a heat treatment backlog, so the home brew Bell housing is now complete :grinning:

IMG_6886.jpeg

IMG_6881.jpeg

It allows for the standard flywheel with integral crank sensor, i've adapted to it run on a Saab Type concentric slave cylinder.. thanks to @sam_9n for the machining work, top class service!

IMG_6882.jpeg

Remote Bleeder.

IMG_6883.jpeg

Rear mount, Powder coated & bushed.. All ready to slot in place next week :grinning:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good stuff, you down at Kirky tomorrow? Looks like good weather, hope you have a good day at it. (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good stuff, you down at Kirky tomorrow? Looks like good weather, hope you have a good day at it. (y)

Yes, I was down today, they had already tight restrictions in place for Covid, limited numbers, no spectators etc but the event was cancelled mid morning :worried: a lot of work put in the midget over the last few weeks for no return :worried:

Nice! You may get your homer orders in, I’m back on nightshift 🥳

Good man, I might have two small packers I’ll need made for the rear mount and a one for the prop but need the box in to measure up :grinning:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Going to try and Wrap this up now the racing season is over..

Seems a bit surreal to be finally putting some liquids in the car, Fresh Castrol B373 into the Tractive & a batch of RBF600 for the Brakes and Clutch!

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

4 attempts at putting the box in on my own was testing, found the twin plate clutch plates where now perfectly aligned so got them realigned with the old input shaft..

IMG_6927.jpeg

6bdac319-01f1-4bfd-818a-449663473720.jpg

Got there in the End, so fired in the starter and manifolds to check the routing for the clutch line..

IMG_6945.jpeg

Oil, Fuel and Water plumbing are all pretty much complete.. Another few fittings in the post will complete it :laughing:

IMG_6946.jpeg

IMG_6947.jpeg

IMG_6949.jpeg

I cant believe the To-Do list is finally becoming achievable! :laughing:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I can imagine tbh but it is just such a brilliant interpretation of the old TR8's .
Be great to see it out on a few sprints and hills. :cool:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Going to try and Wrap this up now the racing season is over..

Seems a bit surreal to be finally putting some liquids in the car, Fresh Castrol B373 into the Tractive & a batch of RBF600 for the Brakes and Clutch!

View attachment 299562

View attachment 299563

4 attempts at putting the box in on my own was testing, found the twin plate clutch plates where now perfectly aligned so got them realigned with the old input shaft..

View attachment 299564

View attachment 299565

Got there in the End, so fired in the starter and manifolds to check the routing for the clutch line..

View attachment 299566

Oil, Fuel and Water plumbing are all pretty much complete.. Another few fittings in the post will complete it :laughing:

View attachment 299567

View attachment 299568

View attachment 299569

I cant believe the To-Do list is finally becoming achievable! :laughing:

What an immense amount of progress since I was in lifting the engine 😯 looks absolutely class.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I can imagine tbh but it is just such a brilliant interpretation of the old TR8's .
Be great to see it out on a few sprints and hills. :cool:

It has really worked in my eyes, well the ingredients, yet to be proven!
Pity it gets thrown into the libre saloon class due to the engine swap :worried:

What an immense amount of progress since I was in lifting the engine 😯 looks absolutely class.

Its getting there, fully operations Brakes, Clutch and Hydro is the plan for Today!

Really need to get the Wiring man Nailed down to a date!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In fairness it really is a libre saloon, not much Triumph left :innocent:

Brilliant wee thing, should do well regardless :cool:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
In fairness it really is a libre saloon, not much Triumph left :innocent:

Brilliant wee thing, should do well regardless :cool:

Personally i think it will be a smoke machine lol and probably very hard to drive with the power in a short wheelbase but I’m up for the challenge...

The post man has just been with more parts, back to the Garage 😁

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
More greatness. Not far off now.

Personally i think it will be a smoke machine lol and probably very hard to drive with the power in a short wheelbase but I’m up for the challenge...
It might surprise you, my RBZ did, its only got an extra 14cm over this and it just digs in and goes, so much that the front end raises quite noticeably. And thats with running 490lbft.

Nice details:

IMG_6947.jpeg

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
More greatness. Not far off now.

It might surprise you, my RBZ did, its only got an extra 14cm over this and it just digs in and goes, so much that the front end raises quite noticeably. And thats with running 490lbft.

Nice details:

Are you comparing to Standard TR7 wheel base? i've this stretched by 5" so they will be pretty much identical..

The NA lump should provide more progressive power delivery and only around 400lbft.

Nice of you to notice the details, its lovely installing all the little covers that took far too many hours..

IMG_6960.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_6961.jpeg

IMG_6957.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg