S- 2000 pieces

K20girl

RMS Member
Drives
Civic R
I’ve seen the quote from powdertek on this job and it wasn’t quoted as simple blast and powder job. It was quoted doing them all wet base colours and acrylic laquer . The same process as wheel refurbishments for a restoration job. And doing the parts in diff colours. If this was a straight strip, etch prime and colour you would cut this cost in half at least. If it was straight black to compare with por 15 you would cut it well under half and the quote wasn’t near 1500 to start with.

Last edited:

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
I’ve seen the quote from powdertek on this job and it wasn’t quoted as simple blast and powder job. It was quoted doing them all wet base colours and acrylic laquer . The same process as wheel refurbishments for a restoration job. And doing the parts in diff colours. If this was a straight strip, etch prime and colour you would cut this cost in half at least. If it was straight black to compare with por 15 you would cut it well under half and the quote wasn’t near 1500 to start with.
Hi,

Perhaps it was yourself I spoke with initially on the phone?

In the interest of clarity, let me say that in no way was I slating anyone’s prices and that it was, as written, my own opinion that I was surprised that powder coating was as dear in general.

I have and have had no background knowledge of the process and was not aware that it could be done a variety of different ways, or cheaper as you describe.

The quote was for £1,248 gross, and after my email and whilst assembling parts in the garage I decided I was going to get the front crash bar and front end brace panel done also, so I don’t think my estimations of a total of 1500 odds would be too far away on a pro-rata basis.

I will reiterate, for the avoidance of doubt, that I wasn’t trying to insinuate anyone in particular was extortionately expensive, just that I didn’t expect “powder coating” as a process to cost that much

Thanks
Ruairi

K20girl

RMS Member
Drives
Civic R
No it wasn’t me you where talking to, I have just seen the estimate and how it was done. No powder coating as a process does not cost this amount. However when you start into wet spraying colours and doing the parts to finish of alloy wheel refurbishment then yes it starts to gets expensive. If you would like it done as a powder coat process It would be an awful lot cheaper and I’d suggest you email Chris for alternative quotes.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Nothing ever runs as planned.

I had intended to get all the bits off for
Powder coating today but it’ll be next week now.

I had 2 sets of front callipers that I had to get the pistons out of but the air line into the brake line hole didn’t work so that held me up. Also broke the earth wire off a front sub frame bolt so had a bit of drilling to do.

Subframe wasn’t that much of an issue as I’ll drill it and move it over an inch to the next available hole and earth it, but the callipers were totally seized and would not budge at all.

Walked round my mechanics yard and found a scrap Toyota Avensis,. Wheel off, brake line off and it fit my caliper 🤲,. So I used the pressure to push them out. Now just have to take the outer and inner boots off and we’re good to go on that front.

3A7681B6-86B9-42BE-A758-A4E51806CFE3.jpeg

Also tagged all the pieces I want gold as the majority are silver. Just the front subframe, front callipers and front bay surround to add to the below.

8EB057DE-F9A4-473A-AFB9-FDA07D24132B.jpeg

Going to strip the diff mounting plates tonight and get them coated also and then just wire wheel the diff and treat with high temp paint.

846556CC-1774-44D9-A5A4-F8387FFA1DDE.jpeg

Debating stripping the old cradle here but not sure. I’m building a bucket of all my subframe bolts/brackets and every other bolt I can find to go to the zinc platers for a recoating in either gold or silver. It’s actually a mess with all of the old wax oil that I stripped off the body of the car many moons before blasting but we’ll see how we go.

ACC5F4C8-885C-4D0E-8AAF-A1F5E1111E20.jpeg

I also reached out to a guy who I’d bought parts off before called Simon kearns in hendy performance, who’s now out on his own.

He is sorting me out with all the new bits to go in. I decided to go all hardrace hardened rubber for the bushings as I didn’t like the poly bush setup as much and oem for engine/gearbox and diff mounts.

Suspension wise,. For anyone who properly understands suspension geometry I salute you. I spent 2 weeks reading everything I could find on it and between “travel” “couple” “roll” and everything in between its a mad subject to even begin to comprehend. I’m swaying towards the ohlins and maybe rollcentre adjusters in the front, which I mightn’t need at present, but might just do now as it’s all apart.

Some help from some of the s2ki members and a few from here who know who they are which is always much appreciated as I’m still a novice in all this.

Target is to be track ready for April next year. We’ll get there 💪🏻👌

R

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Great progress there.

Best to keep it simple for now, rebuild, and then get out there.

Worry about technical details like "roll centre adjusters" later. Until you know exactly what something actually does and how it would improve things for you there's not much point. You'll just be forever adding things and never finishing, or adding things you won't know if you actually need, etc. A lot of that stuff might make sense on a full on race car where every hundredth counts. Maybe not so much for something used for trackday fun and the odd weekend blast.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Small update,.

All parts now ordered and should be here within 2 weeks to rebuild the “running gear”

Simon from wb performance (formerly hendy) sorted me out with all the bushings and a great guy to deal with.

Brake rebuild kits ordered as well as bearings / tie rods and ends, so once all arrives I’ll start to put together.

Started stripping the external bits on the block so I can degrease/clean and get everything painted up. Bolts all getting yellow zinc plated to be like factory too so should look tasty when assembled.

CB0B2BB4-33AF-4F91-924B-B10942E9ABE0.jpeg
4B275941-D7EA-46A0-BA70-3F50719F9A39.jpeg
1747B42D-001C-4B26-B952-21C70D522298.jpeg

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Got all the bits back and very happy with how they’re looking.

All of the bushings and bearings/brakes/tie rods and ends should be here in a week or two and then we start to build it back up.

D097D764-CBEE-4C9B-89AB-6A67A9BBEE67.jpeg
4F8442CF-36B7-4282-8366-447390228993.jpeg
144B88DB-8CD3-49E0-B512-85EE26B08EC2.jpeg
480CF174-0B19-4DA0-815C-331ABB48AE47.jpeg
248754AF-7F41-4466-A28C-2F0F72B77E61.jpeg

Nice to get towards the clean work now after all of the messy stuff of stripping.

Also stripped and degreased the engine of all its ancillaries as well as the gearbox and ordered a new completion clutch and all the gaskets that will be needed.

Feel like we’re getting
Somewhere now.

R

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Who did you end up using for the powdercoat?

The amount of detail going into this is incredible.
I'd be too nervous tracking it after getting it sitting like new! 🙈

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Can't believe there's actually serious progress on this - you're flyin now!

Yes lad, less drinking beer and warming the arse at the fire and less procrastination has pushed us on a bit collectively.

Poke your head in any evening sure 👍

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Who did you end up using for the powdercoat?

The amount of detail going into this is incredible.
I'd be too nervous tracking it after getting it sitting like new! 🙈

Thanks 👍, I had started to think like that too a bit if I’m honest but always said I wanted to track it so that’s still the plan.

I found a place close to home that I didn’t even know existed, topcoat in craigavon, so they did all for me.

The way I see it is all the original “blue” panels are going back on for the track so it’ll look a bit like a patchwork quilt and then if it survives the track I’ll paint all of the exterior and keep it good.

The rear quarters are the only freshly painted bits so all the rest would need done anyway to have the exterior sitting respectable.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
The first batch of parts arrived yesterday.

Great service from Simon at wbperformance (formerly hendy),
Constant updates and messages on everything. Would highly recommend.

CCC415B7-3B3B-4BC7-8C0E-805E1432913A.jpeg

All the part numbers there for any other s2000 owners on here who have to change anything as it took a while to go through and suss that out.

Few pictures of a few of
The bits.

852340D9-BFA6-4A4A-A9E2-A6C7A094C113.jpeg

485A8ACA-8A22-4359-BE98-F73D0877EDB1.jpeg

5D84E5E1-5B1F-4C3F-978A-BC8A1A07B4A4.jpeg

00D72019-BBAD-4438-9354-D4CD25ADAB47.jpeg

F7139EC2-1DCD-423B-A1CA-1399E424F1AF.jpeg

I’ll start to re bush all the arms
Over Christmas but have to wire
Wheel the insides first just to take off some surface powder/tin foil that was used to plug the holes.

Still awaiting the brake rebuild kits and bearings so when they come I can build the hubs up too.

Getting there 💪👌

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Been busy the last few weeks getting more stuff sorted.

Started to properly clean some parts that are going to be reused like diff and half shafts.

B95E8D4F-C9E3-4954-885C-5D6A667CCB4E.jpeg
D471217A-356B-460A-BE5C-180CF705D756.jpeg

They’re cleaning up reasonably well and seem in fine order so happy with those.

Doing this cleaning while I wait on everything else arriving.

Some of the parts have started to arrive,

DA210717-BFD3-4954-885F-8BD9D7057AF9.jpeg

Brake rebuild kit for all sides is here and the wee man out giving a hand to inspect the quality.

98C98122-9C58-4C16-BFC2-D74A4FB61C03.jpeg

All the bearings and tie rods/rod ends arrived too.

5615A542-3654-4C0B-BC42-1A8B6015B658.jpeg

As was always going to be the case,. There were a few bits I missed when going to the powdercoaters so I’m going to have to leave stuff over again.

I forgot the heat shield beside the gearbox as well as plate towards the rear and the two carriers for the rear callipers.
Also noticed on closer inspection that I had got the gearbox mounting bracket done but not the 2nd bit that sits on top of it so I’ll get it done too.

E47F5A5A-B974-430B-8C85-EEEEE3B8AD9F.jpeg

355F4AB7-A58B-45CE-8AA3-83B30453D93C.jpeg

56F05297-B59A-45BC-B246-C7E6B4BACCFA.jpeg

Now that I’m going back to the coaters I thought while the engine is stripped I may as well do the intake manifold and the pulleys too so bought some new bearings for the pulleys when they are done.

B4085358-218E-4E88-8639-A249AA6F410F.jpeg

The most time this last few weeks has actually been spent with pen and paper to be honest.

I’ve gone through the whole car from front to back of exactly what I need and I’m now waiting on about a 40/45kg order arriving from Japan with every single part I need to put the car together. Used a website called amayama which was fantastic with exploded diagrams and decent prices. Also a few bits to arrive from Tegiwa like radiator and clutch and brake masters.

Once it arrives I’m going to take about 2 weeks off work and get stuck clean in!! 👌

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Started into the brakes.

045AC7E9-3070-4C8A-825F-4221A479FF1E.jpeg

156F0232-8014-4DD8-94D1-9CF005D70DAA.jpeg

1608B579-DF88-454B-8DCB-B8903700DCBB.jpeg

F57C4196-EEE7-4844-833B-DBDC947F3C99.jpeg

The fronts were relatively easy but the rears I’m still at.

The needle bearing in the rear callipers was a nightmare. Seized solid so had to Use a dremel to collapse it in on itself.

EC72B0D6-D9BB-4005-AC69-FD9E870BE93F.jpeg

E88CAB62-EFDE-4413-BABD-0B28A46FD679.jpeg

Once it was out the walls
Of the surround were actually grand so a bit of a clean and in with the new ones.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Thanks. It was a frentech kit on eBay that did fronts and backs. I’ll hoke out the link for you.

You’ll also need the needle bearings too which you have to buy separate and are a pain to get out 🙈
I used top coat in craigavon

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Brilliant thread, some amount of work you're putting in to it. Great job!

Didn't know about Topcoat so cheers, will give them a shout as i've similar bits to get done.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Good effort, I have just bought a full set for the S2000 to refurbish. Who did you use to powder coat them?

Do you have a link to the rebuild kits you used.

That’s the rebuild kit

And that’s the needle bearings.

I suggest you get some more rubber grease for the rubbers and silicone grease for the slide pins. You only get 2 sachets and it’s not enough. 👌

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000

That’s the rebuild kit

And that’s the needle bearings.

I suggest you get some more rubber grease for the rubbers and silicone grease for the slide pins. You only get 2 sachets and it’s not enough. 👌
Legend, thanks very much. I'll get those ordered at the weekend.

Can't wait to see this finished, if you need to check mine as a reference for anything, just drop me a pm.