S- 2000 pieces

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
So, the track project began today. Got her home and a ballade TCT kit ordered as well as spoon polybushes.
Engine being stripped this week and new Ferrodo pads.
The fun begins,.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Looks lovely.... Enjoy

Why the engine strip? They really are a solid motor with pretty std maintenance

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Needs a new chain and tensioner and want a look at the internals before I do anything more. Uncle is doing all the engine work so doing it with me as I kinda want to understand how everything works. More a learning exercise.
Also got a spare gearbox with it so Gna pull it apart myself see if I can fix the second gear with a bita direction.

AndyG

RMS Regular
Fair play mate! Will look forward to seeing it out on track when the time comes!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Great job batman. Hope to see you at Kirkistown if I ever make it :laughing:.

PS get a members car thread up. It should be a good read.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
When changing the tensioner,. Anyone know whether the chain and guides should be changed also, or will the tensioner sort the slack issue?

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
image.jpeg

After some research I ordered the ballade sports TCT as well as the cam kit. It optimizes the cam and crank timing by use of an offset Cam Gear. This compensates for worn out timing chain guides and chain stretch.
I'll see what way the chain and guides are when I get it opened and if necessary theyll be replaced.

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Finally got her up on stands and plans have altered slightly.
Taking it to France and across to Italy for a wedding in August.
Going to factor in a lot of cool driving roads along the way through the south of France and northern Italy, then home through Switzerland,.and following that it'll be going to the track.

Tensioner and cam here this week sometime and then I'll get her out to see what she feels like driving.

Always that worry that it'll break down on a trip like this so first stop will be to clean everything to assess any wear etc in consumables like bearings /bushings/seals as much as I can and replace what is needed beforehand.

Also thought of upgrading brakes , calibers and lines to have more assurance but don't know If that's overkill.

Anyone done a trip like this before,. In any car,?
Any pros/cons or things to be aware of?

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
safer starting a new thread for the likes of this question, or even search for it. but id guess quite a few on here have done something similar! loads have done the ring etc! loads of knowledge on here!

Les Graham

RMS Regular
Don't do it. Had 3,love them as Road cars and use them for euro road trips for fun/reliability reasons.
Tracked one in Spa Francorchamps, Nurburgring and Monza, suffer huge brake fade, extortionatally expensive to repair and not as much fun as you'd think.
Bought a Clio 172 and use it for track only, much better, more fun, cheap as chips and would blow S2000 out of the water!

IMG_1791.PNG
IMG_1791.PNG
20160227_124418.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 93

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Yea trip should be good so getting planning at the minute.
I've always wanted to track one and tinker away at a car adjusting bits and bobs in the evenings so that's where it'll be going lol, to try it anyway and see. Get started into the track game and take it from there.

Did a bit of work last night. Took the air box off,. Disconnected sensors, took coil pack and rocker cover off to get a look, as I'm still awaiting the parts.

image.jpeg

Turned the engine to TDC and you can actually see how the two gears are out of sync.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Zoom and you can see the timing marks on each cog and they're out by about 1/2 or 3/4 of a tooth. Actually enjoying reading the manual and learning how all the parts work together so it's serving its purpose so far.

image.jpeg

Soon as the parts arrive we'll see how she's running and pray that's all that was wrong as I was beginning to have a big end bearing fear.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 93

civicglacier

RMS Regular
OP
civicglacier
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Well,. Hadn't posted in a while

After putting the new offset gear in,. and new tensioner we built it back up. Did the valve clearances as well and if nothing else the line of timing marks looked a lot better.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And then,..........

Noise and knocking was still there. RAGE!!!

Beginning to think one of the connecting rods has knackered itself so it's on the ramp to get the sump off to see what more we can see. Had the car 2 months and I've driven about 2 miles.

Looking like an engine out job after all and while its out I'm thinking we'll rebuild. Looking into options at the minute for upgrades but they don't seem massively forthcoming without going turbo or charged, which I'm not doing either of.
Got a spare gearbox with the car so thinking of pulling that open for the crack and having a look around, see what it needs.
Hopefully have a plan of action in the next few days when we get a proper diagnosis.

So I kibbled about and cleaned the red one at the weekend,
Few pics of the old girl,,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
That's bad luck dude well at least you have a good man to keep you right. Spotted the accord out on the grass when we are out in the Golf on Saturday, super clean(y)