Track project: 2006 R53 Mini Cooper S

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
£30 a month to tax. Robbin heurs

Brake pad sensor light was on. Got rash and snipped in each sensor in turn to see which it was. Of course it was the second one. Ah well they are peanuts. Light now off and a trouble free dash.

787EDC42-F29E-4884-954E-AC7751ACB714.jpeg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
never one to shy from a challenge mini is in bits already.

rear hubs removed and calipers getting cleaned up for new discs/pads/lines

everything is grotty but youd expect no different really. Immediate plans are:

- replacement rear hubs (to match the fronts and take the M12 studs I have rather than the M14s the rears had)
- new rear discs (pagid)
- new rear pads (performance friction)
- new brake lines (HEL)

2021-09-21 16.24.30.jpg
2021-09-21 13.42.50.jpg
2021-09-21 14.39.10.jpg
2021-09-21 14.39.20.jpg
2021-09-21 16.08.30.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
continuing to crack on as parts arrive. frustrating waiting.

front NS put back together mostly:
- new driveshaft fitted
- R56 discs all cleaned up and fitted
- front calipers painted.

waiting on pad guides to arrive and need to fit the new sliders (one was bent so replaced them all)

OS is up in the air still, new shaft for it too but want to change the oil filter housing gaskets while the shaft is out so thats blocking progress until those gaskets arrive.

2021-09-23 12.33.22.jpg
2021-09-23 14.02.33.jpg

hippyross

RMS Regular
No way that was in the budget you had in your wanted post lol if it is fair play looks like a cracker, same colour as mine too.
I love mine they are so much fun round the twistys and go pretty well in a straight line too.
IMG_20210719_203401.jpg

I've a four branch and 18% pulley to go on and mod the airbox for the k&n cone filter, it already had a bigger intercooler but I fitted a not so hobo air diverter made a massive difference it also had a cat back and bilsteins with tein spring, I'm not going too mad with it just a bit of fun while my r33 is away getting a respray.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
No way that was in the budget you had in your wanted post lol if it is fair play looks like a cracker, same colour as mine too.
I love mine they are so much fun round the twistys and go pretty well in a straight line too.
View attachment 336510
I've a four branch and 18% pulley to go on and mod the airbox for the k&n cone filter, it already had a bigger intercooler but I fitted a not so hobo air diverter made a massive difference it also had a cat back and bilsteins with tein spring, I'm not going too mad with it just a bit of fun while my r33 is away getting a respray.
Nah I paid a bit more (2500) to get the buckets and stuff. Splunked a fair bit on it on top too :worried:

Love those wheels!!

hippyross

RMS Regular
Nah I paid a bit more (2500) to get the buckets and stuff. Splunked a fair bit on it on top too :worried:

Love those wheels!!
Flip that was alright mine was a bit more but there wasn't much choice over here for one and I couldn't be arsed going over the water.
It doesn't take long on it adding up but sure we should know the craic by now lol.
I've a friend who has a nice one he's going to town on his, maybe we can all meet up at cars and coffee some time and talk mini lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
mini meets FTW!

just doing the rocker cover gasket today - seen less rusted bolts on the Titanic.

8mm bolts, around half came out ok
most of the rest needed a 7mm socket hammered on to get them loose
one needed a 6mm hammered on!!!

All seems well under the lid, chain guides seem ok, no sludge. happy with that.

2021-09-24 11.44.49.jpg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
With the rocker cover back on I could fit the Airtec intercooler which replaces the sketchy Ebay one. Note the seal at the top so that all the air from the scoop goes into the cooler

View attachment 336589
You really haven't hung around with this thing! looks a great job so far. Not much like an angry wee mini.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
trying to get it back on its wheels before the rain hits!!!

rear pads arrived so can get the back buttoned up and the wheels back on there.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
If you’d have said I have a little pump here, think it holds 1ltr at a time and has a nice hook shaped spout on a hose to make it handy to fill most applications
the syringe is perfect for filling, just a bloody mess when the operator is a numpty :p

todays job: brake lines. Ive hoses to fit on all 4 corners but every one of the nuts wrung when trying to loosen them. Made up new pipes for the front which was actually dead handy. Front pads came today (Ferodo DS2500) so got those fitted and thats the front brakes all done.

Still need to sort the rears. I could just bung the original flexis back into the caliper but Id like to have the set fitted. Means running new lines to the rear though which wont be as straightforward as the fronts.

Front bumper back on again which is nice, didn't really need to take it off to be fair but wanted to have a poke around in behind and see what was what.

2021-09-25 14.18.44.jpg
2021-09-25 15.30.29.jpg
2021-09-25 15.30.22.jpg
2021-09-25 15.42.02.jpg

2021-09-25 16.47.24.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
back on its feet. test drive was good with the brakes biting well and no leaks from any of the brake pipe joins. vibration from the driveshafts now gone too which is awesome as it was super annoying. Will go round for another bleeding run but its a gift with the pressure bleeder

2021-09-26 11.26.28.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Picked up a set of Cooper s wheels and now I’m on a quandary.

I have 16” speedlines with a new set of rain sports on them

And these 17s with nearly new budgets on them.

I want a set for track on r888s and a set for road and wet track days.

Ideally the 16s would be best for track but the tyres are really good for road use and wet track days. That means keep the 16s for road and 17s for track and fit r888s on those.

But I kinda want it the other way around. 17” r888s are cheaper than 16s tho so…..

EEEC332D-914C-4FFC-9782-22EA461F2FF6.jpeg

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Keep the 16's you have for wet rack/road use, sell the 17's and buy another set of 16's...simples:cool:

The bonus being you get to buy more wheels!!