Track Skills 7th July

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Ya, all going well I will be there :grinning:.

I tend to book last minute and keep an eye on the weather.

c_rad

RMS Regular
Interested in maybe taking the GT86 around the track, Haven't done a track day in my own motor before, Anything to bring with me or what would I need?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Interested in maybe taking the GT86 around the track, Haven't done a track day in my own motor before, Anything to bring with me or what would I need?

Absolutely do it, it's the best craic ever!

A long sleeved shirt and a lid for your bonce, is all you need.

Just make sure your brakes / tyres are up to it. More so you can keep your track time to a maximum.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Same with myself and the Clio RS. Would love to go for a track day but would probably be mighty slow and it is my daily (well more like weekly) driver so don't want to compromise reliability etc.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Same with myself and the Clio RS. Would love to go for a track day but would probably be mighty slow and it is my daily (well more like weekly) driver so don't want to compromise reliability etc.

You should come down to the next one, even as a spectator.

I wouldn't be worried about not being quick enough. There is such a mix of cars and drivers there each time.

plexo

RMS Regular
OP
plexo
Drives
Mitsubishi
I wouldn't let having a slow car put you off.. i was probably one of the slowest of the day when I first went out i think times was about 1:23 or something crazy, now down to 1:08

make sure you have plenty of pad left (i ran out once)

make sure you've decent tread and keep an eye on it throughout the day especially front passenger

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
I wouldn't let having a slow car put you off.. i was probably one of the slowest of the day when I first went out i think times was about 1:23 or something crazy, now down to 1:08

make sure you have plenty of pad left (i ran out once)

make sure you've decent tread and keep an eye on it throughout the day especially front passenger
It's not the car I'd be worried about (clio rs200) just the driver 😜

Might try get up to one this year to give it a go. Wonder if mondello do something similar saying as I'm based in Dublin these days

c_rad

RMS Regular
Absolutely do it, it's the best craic ever!

A long sleeved shirt and a lid for your bonce, is all you need.

Just make sure your brakes / tyres are up to it. More so you can keep your track time to a maximum.

I don't know if my head would fit in the car with a helmet 😂😂

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird

pitty i am away mate i could have kept ya right

my first track day i took my wife’s car

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I could be tempted by this in the type r, the added cost of pads and tyres after makes it an expensive day out, but I would love to give it a go.

Absolutely do it...

Do bare in mind if you prep the car well (I don't mean spending mega bucks), it shouldn't cost you loads. You should be able to get several track days out of discs, pads and tyres. Noting you will need some track biased options to last well...

You'll not care about the cost of anything when you're well into your first session.

Nothing feels quite like it!

100% lol! Just don't go shopping for parts afterwards!

It's great fun, and there is a good crowd of people that go to it too. So don't think you will be out of place.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I have godspeed 2 piece discs on the front £320, EBC blue stuff pads £180 and castrol srf fluid £60 a litre. Just thinking it could get expensive if your changing pads and fluid. Would you change fluid and pads after each session? I suppose that really depends on your driving style etc.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I have godspeed 2 piece discs on the front £320, EBC blue stuff pads £180 and castrol srf fluid £60 a litre. Just thinking it could get expensive if your changing pads and fluid. Would you change fluid and pads after each session? I suppose that really depends on your driving style etc.

You're actually in good shape to head out already.

If the discs and pads are of suitable quality, they should easily last the track day. As you say it does depend on your driving style too.

As for the fancy brake fluid, I change it once a year, unless you feel its past it. The RBF 600 is a little more affordable too.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Tyres are a big factor, a semi-slick like the Yokohama AD08R will make a huge difference compared to a street summer tyre.

I bought four Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres thinking they would be great, after 2 laps they gave up. Expensive lesson learned! The AD08R will go an entire day without letting go.

A brake pad designed for the track like Ferodo DS1.11 will last an entire season easily.

**mugen**

RMS Regular
Drives
Big 9'er
It's hard to say how long brakes and tyres last.. but this year I've done kirkistown and mondello so far and going next sunday.. on the same brakes/tyres ...and drive the car on the road also.

I'm not out there setting any records :laughing: on these tracks or going mad burning the tyres aff her.. just having fun which will also helps out with wear and tear.