Track skills on 7th April

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Some people run out of brakes because they've boiled the brake fluid rather than having run out of pads. Always use a brake fluid with a high boiling point when on track, something from Motul, AP Racing or Pagid.

When are you coming out to play again Alex? @MagicRat

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Some people run out of brakes because they've boiled the brake fluid rather than having run out of pads. Always use a brake fluid with a high boiling point when on track, something from Motul, AP Racing or Pagid.

Castrol SRF seems to be a massive favourite amongst enthusiasts who track their dailys, must look into the three you've mentioned as all are from brands I'd personally choose over Castrol

MarkM

RMS Regular
Castrol SRF seems to be a massive favourite amongst enthusiasts who track their dailys, must look into the three you've mentioned as all are from brands I'd personally choose over Castrol

Having used SRF for a couple of years, then doing a couple of track days on Motul RBF 600, SRF is superior, pedal feel is so much better and it didn’t fluctuate, couldn’t wait to go back to SRF

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I've used Castrol SRF since like forever. I'm sure the other offerings are fine too but never seen any reason at all to change. Just brilliant, does exactly what it says on the tin.

As above, sudden loss of brakes is usually a fluid problem, or air getting into the system, or something like that rather than brake fade. Fade is more gradual and never a total loss of brakes.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Having used SRF for a couple of years, then doing a couple of track days on Motul RBF 600, SRF is superior, pedal feel is so much better and it didn’t fluctuate, couldn’t wait to go back to SRF

Very good to know, it was what I was leaning towards myself for when I upgrade my brakes.

Will look into doing one of these too!

Tremendous B

RMS Member
Drives
Clio
Yep, fairly confident our issue was cooking the fluid. Not changed as regularly as it probably should have been.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Yep, fairly confident our issue was cooking the fluid. Not changed as regularly as it probably should have been.
Road cars need good fluid, pads and ideally big brake ducts from the bumper as they're all heavy and theres a lot of kgs to stop.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
tegiwaimports.com have 10% off Motul products, possibly ideal for some brake fluid. The discount code is MOT10.

Just incase that helps.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Depends on the car though, some cars need ducting others are just fine without.

And driving style too. If it's a balls out trailer queen then work away. If it's a road car out for a bit of fun then just come in a bit earlier if the brakes start to fade.

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
for sure, massive improvement tyres are next now as they are the weak point, abs kicking in down the hairpin lol

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
@plexo blackcircles have a sale on all Michelin tyres, got me four pilot supersports for a great price!

Not the most out and out track tyre you can buy but they did the trick for me.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A048 or 888 would be the only step up from AD08.

They are a definite step up too on track. Still work just fine on the road as well, just take care in standing water. And obviously less than useless when the temperature drops, but that is true for AD08 as well.

If you do mostly road then AD08. If you do mostly track then 888/A048.

Next from there is slicks but that's a whole different level of pain...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
il check them out, I have AD08R on them at the moment, was looking towards R888R for next ones to go for 🙈

Thats exactly what I'll be upgrading to.

I just can't use up the bloomin AD08R's