Tracking and tyre wear

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
2016 Outlander. Front nearside tyre wears on the outer edge. Other tyres seem fine.
I thought it might be a tracking issue. Outlander drivers on FB say that these cars need the rear / 4 wheel tracking set to cure the front wear.

I take it to a tyre place and they ask me if it pulls to the side. I say, no, not that I can feel.
So he says then it's not the problem, either the tyre is over inflated or I'm cornering too hard.

I corner like a pussy in this car compared to others I drive and the tyre pressure is fine. (I thought under- inflation would be a reason)

Is there any truth in what he says, or did he just not want the job?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Our freelander 2 does this too. Tyres all inflated correctly etc. Its a heavy old thing over the front axle so probably a combination of a high centre of gravity plus cornering loads. My wife drives it normally and doesn't corner hard, neither do I. The wear is even back to front so I swapped them back to front..

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Not unusual for a vehicle to wear outside shoulder on the left front but always best to check the alignment. Obviously the damage is done so might be best to do when the tyre is replaced if the original tyre is badly worn.

Definitely not over inflation though, as you say, if the rear is out, it’ll need a four wheel alignment.

colin84

RMS Regular
Sounds like the tyre fitter you spoke to doesn't know what he's talking about.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Have a tyre issue myself, thought I'd ask in here

My company van is wearing both front tyres on the outer shoulders, however, I'm running about 6psi above the recommended inflation for fully loaded weight. I'm well within the vans load rating too.

The centre has about 2.5-3mm left, but the shoulders are terrible. Annoyingly, the van is leased and the leasing company use quick fit who are refusing to fit new tyres unless it's worn under 2mm across the whole tyre, as the leasing company can drop by and ask to see replaced tyres to ensure they needed replaced

Earlier today, I was slowing on a dual carriageway in the wet and the ABS kicked in and the van would barely knock any speed off at all. Id consider them dangerous, but I have no say in when they're replaced

They're Continental contivancontacts or something, 22,000miles on them so far, and have always been set either at recommended pressure at the start, or about 6-8psi above it when I first noticed them wearing the shoulders first.

Anyone any idea why they would do this?

Passenger:
IMG_20200212_125401.jpg

Drivers:
IMG_20200212_125342.jpg

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
@therock What would your view on these tyres be? I'm a little concerned about the loss of tread pattern on the shoulders. Quickfit and Vauxhall both claim they're fine however, but at the end of the day, I'm the driver, it's me who takes the risk

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I would be dubious if those are still legal. I believe 80% across the width has to be within limits.

What make and model tyres are those? Are they correctly rated for the vans weight?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I would be dubious if those are still legal. I believe 80% across the width has to be within limits.

What make and model tyres are those? Are they correctly rated for the vans weight?

They're Continental contivancontacts, and yes they are extra load tyres

It's also strange how they've nearly lost the tread pattern across the whole tyre, despite not being below the limit. As if the tread design isn't cut deep enough. Googling the tyre model shows a drastically different looking pattern across the whole tyre.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
They're Continental contivancontacts, and yes they are extra load tyres
Tis very very strange.

I don't see any feathering on the edge of the wear or across the tread that would point to alignment being out.

What miles are on the van? Enough to have worn lower arm bushes or balljoints?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Tis very very strange.

I don't see any feathering on the edge of the wear or across the tread that would point to alignment being out.

What miles are on the van? Enough to have worn lower arm bushes or balljoints?

41,000 miles

These were fitted in Jan 2019 at around 20,000 miles. The van is two years old.

Drives fine, dosen't pull or act strange at all. Just wears these badly. Cant Remember what the original factory tyres were, but the rear has Continental VanContact2s and I believe are fitted from new, so likely them. They wore evently until replacement last year

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
What van is it? I know reno traffics have a fault on the rear passenger than it wears down 3x or so quicker than the drivers it's across them according to reno and no fix currently for it.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
What van is it? I know reno traffics have a fault on the rear passenger than it wears down 3x or so quicker than the drivers it's across them according to reno and no fix currently for it.

2017 Vauxhall combo, the ones that are Fiat Doblo based

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Sounds like the same issue of the same model of van

Worn shocks?

Shocks on mine seem ok. Mine is a doblo based van, the older ones were Corsa based, and the new ones are Peugeot partner based

I'll maybe join a doblo forum and ask to see if it's a. common issue, although it dosen't seem to affect any if the other combos in our fleet

I'll maybe see if anyone else in work has these same tyres fitted to theirs and compare
To add, there's very little traction left on greasy roads. I can get wheelspin easily in 2nd and even in 3rd. Bearing in mind it's a 1240cc diesel that has 65hp or something and takes 37 seconds to hit 60 from a standstill, that's fairly ridiculously low levels of tractions

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Shocks on mine seem ok. Mine is a doblo based van, the older ones were Corsa based, and the new ones are Peugeot partner based

I'll maybe join a doblo forum and ask to see if it's a. common issue, although it dosen't seem to affect any if the other combos in our fleet

I'll maybe see if anyone else in work has these same tyres fitted to theirs and compare
To add, there's very little traction left on greasy roads. I can get wheelspin easily in 2nd and even in 3rd. Bearing in mind it's a 1240cc diesel that has 65hp or something and takes 37 seconds to hit 60 from a standstill, that's fairly ridiculously low levels of tractions

I would raise it within your company as a potential health and safety risk. If you do not feel like the van is safe (and I would agree) then I wouldn’t be driving it

If the very worst happened because you couldn’t get stopped both you and the company would be in a very bad position

colin84

RMS Regular
That type of wear is always under inflation or over weight. Can't think of anything else that would do it. Is the pressure gauge you are using definitely accurate? @RubberLover would be the person to ask.

The police or an insurance inspector would certainly consider the tyres defective.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
That type of wear is always under inflation or over weight. Can't think of anything else that would do it. Is the pressure gauge you are using definitely accurate? @RubberLover would be the person to ask.

The police or an insurance inspector would certainly consider the tyres defective.

I'm going by the tyre machines in the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's etc

Michael44

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancia
I'm going by the tyre machines in the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's etc
Ideally you should be checking the pressure with the tyres cold to get an accurate reading. First thing in the morning before driving would be best. There could be 5 psi or more between hot and cold pressures.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Ideally you should be checking the pressure with the tyres cold to get an accurate reading. First thing in the morning before driving would be best. There could be 5 psi or more between hot or cold pressures.

Cheers, I do generally check them cold however