Tracking and tyre wear

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Have you had the alignment checked?

No, I couldn't see either my work or the leasing company being interested in paying towards an alignment. It dosen't suggest it would need one by how it drives, and the original tyres wore very evenly

RubberLover

RMS Regular
What’s the actual load rating of the tyre and the recommended minimum and maximum tyre pressure according to the vehicle manual/ door sticker?

I’ve seen tyres worse than this pass MOT, but it’s subjective when it gets to this stage. Can you try another KwikFit Fit branch?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Have a tyre issue myself, thought I'd ask in here

My company van is wearing both front tyres on the outer shoulders, however, I'm running about 6psi above the recommended inflation for fully loaded weight. I'm well within the vans load rating too.

The centre has about 2.5-3mm left, but the shoulders are terrible. Annoyingly, the van is leased and the leasing company use quick fit who are refusing to fit new tyres unless it's worn under 2mm across the whole tyre, as the leasing company can drop by and ask to see replaced tyres to ensure they needed replaced

Earlier today, I was slowing on a dual carriageway in the wet and the ABS kicked in and the van would barely knock any speed off at all. Id consider them dangerous, but I have no say in when they're replaced

They're Continental contivancontacts or something, 22,000miles on them so far, and have always been set either at recommended pressure at the start, or about 6-8psi above it when I first noticed them wearing the shoulders first.

Anyone any idea why they would do this?

Passenger:
View attachment 265558

Drivers:View attachment 265559

A balljoint, bush or something is knackered somewhere...and not necessarily at the front.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
What’s the actual load rating of the tyre and the recommended minimum and maximum tyre pressure according to the vehicle manual/ door sticker?

I’ve seen tyres worse than this pass MOT, but it’s subjective when it gets to this stage. Can you try another KwikFit Fit branch?

Load Single axle - 775KG

2.7 Bar Front Empty to Medium
2.7 Bar Front Loaded
2.7 Bar Rear Empty to Medium
3.6 Bar Rear Loaded

I don't get how they can suggest the front pressures are the same regardless of whether it's empty or fully laden. I was running 2.9-3.0 Bar on the front, but I've upped it to 3.2 Bar on Friday on the front and it seems to have a little more traction on acceleration, albeit it tramlines a little more on where road repairs have been joined with that tar stuff.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Load Single axle - 775KG

2.7 Bar Front Empty to Medium
2.7 Bar Front Loaded
2.7 Bar Rear Empty to Medium
3.6 Bar Rear Loaded

I don't get how they can suggest the front pressures are the same regardless of whether it's empty or fully laden. I was running 2.9-3.0 Bar on the front, but I've upped it to 3.2 Bar on Friday on the front and it seems to have a little more traction on acceleration, albeit it tramlines a little more on where road repairs have been joined with that tar stuff.

All the weight is loaded into the back, so thats where the weight will act. Especially as it will be almost over the axle, the effect on the front axle from the payload will be minimal.

I would be insisting that the suspension etc is inspected and that the vehicle is unsafe, especially with what you were saying regarding the braking.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
All the weight is loaded into the back, so thats where the weight will act. Especially as it will be almost over the axle, the effect on the front axle from the payload will be minimal.

I would be insisting that the suspension etc is inspected and that the vehicle is unsafe, especially with what you were saying regarding the braking.

I would say a good chunk of the weight would still effect the front axle, especially given it's a long wheelbase, more weight will be central as the axles are further apart

I've searched the tyre pressures for two other vans and they do recommend a pressure increase on the front. Genuinely think that could be my issue here

2017 VW Caddy
2017-Volkswagen-Caddy-recommended-tyre-pressure-1200x800.jpg

2018 Sprinter
2018-mercedes-benz-Sprintervan-black-mark-oastler-1200x800p.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The shoulder in general is an odd shape, has it been rubbing on anything ?

has it been run flat at any stage ?

When were they last checked, over what time period did it appear ?

Ghost

RMS Regular
The shoulder in general is an odd shape, has it been rubbing on anything ?

has it been run flat at any stage ?

When were they last checked, over what time period did it appear ?
Haven't noticed any rubbing. Never run flat. Checked about 3 weeks ago before an MOT and were fine. It did carry a heavy ish load in the boot for a solid week....