Trackskills Track Day on Sunday 16th August 2020

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
AD08 is grippy but once they go on teh 4wd car they make them grainy and as the subaru likes pushing the nose (as you will have saw on the hairpin) i need more frontal grip with my camber setup so slicks helped. but as a driver i still need to figure that hairpin out.

I need to buy a full set of 18" slicks if im going big brake conversion as my dark wheels are 17" with the slicks currently and they wont fit over the brakes im thinking of buying.

we need to see these pics or videos.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you are doing 1:08 on AD08 then you are flying! As you say as road tyres go they're just brilliant on track but they do fade quickly compared to something like R888 or A048. And slicks are just a completely different league again, easily worth another second or two on their own.

As long as it's dry and warm, lol :innocent:

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
sorry gents, i gave the wrong message that 1.08 was on slicks based on the times on harrys laptimer. i was 1.09.8 on the yokos. although when i moved to slicks the brakes had already gone so id say i can get a low 1.08 or even 7.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Fine for me, were fine first time round too... All this "tech" lark, who knows what's going on, it never works properly, lol :innocent:

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular

Attachments

• 117812317_10160257650684968_7536665762224908764_o.jpg
    117812317_10160257650684968_7536665762224908764_o.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 117889561_10160257657414968_8876182458587251927_o.jpg
    117889561_10160257657414968_8876182458587251927_o.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 72

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Looked at the second video there, you definitely need better brakes, lol :innocent: 😁

Those Clios were having a ball! 😎

Dan.86

RMS Regular
That blue clio in the first video is my mates. I got a drive in group 4, so much fun! Been a few years since I’ve had a drive.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
i tell you, the clios have an absolute blast as they are all so matched so it does come down alot to talent, braking and tyres. my brakes are actually ****ed @svensktoppen ..the pads are not too bad, left front broke slightly but the new disks are warped lol..so im eyeing up AP 6POTS and RC6 pads @2k but will be worth it i think.

Brakes, swirl pot (with slicks i was pulling so much more G through the corners it was pulling fuel away from pump. Oil cooler to helps temps slightly.
plus i need to learn how to take that fooking hairpin on roadtyres (slicks are easy they just grip) road tyres typical impreza pushes the nose.
them clios were mental haha the videos make me want todo a trackday...
get it done, cars are made for driving right mate and no safer place to learn.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
Some impressive steering there! What sort of power is your Impreza making?
thank you, impreza is setup well to be easy to steer honestly at this power and power delivery level, in colonial i can pin it coming out of 1 and it just goes, even on wet days.

Power wise id say its pretty standard mate going by what way i have the car mapped( i have self mapped everything), runs 21psi max but ive the boost duty set to come in hard @100% until 2500 revs when i know the naturally flow will then come in and push it so i pull duty back to about 55% right until when the small turbo starts dieing then i throw 100% at it again whilst keeping away overboost and surge.

I also rely on a little timing, my car is the 1998 so had the really small turbo so it peaks and drops hard due to compressor restriction so flat at 1.2bar in the high rev range so i give it some timing to assist. You will see i also have the Zeitronix ZT2 right in front of me behind the knocklink infront of speedo this way i can always see my AFRs and knock detection which there never is any.

But to answer your question i dont know the power, i feel it quicker/slower when i road map and adjust to suit.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
so im eyeing up AP 6POTS and RC6 pads @2k but will be worth it i think.

You won't regret AP, whether on track or road. Just superb. Night and day.

Be careful with RC pads. Absolutely brilliant on track, but can be hard on discs if you do a lot of miles normal road driving. And AP discs are not cheap!

They're fine on track though where they get proper heat.

RC6 is a very aggressive pad. RC5+ might be better if you drive on the road as well as long as you don't do too big road miles.

If it's track only then go RC6 😎 😁

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Fantastic footage there, really enjoyed watching that. I assumed the car was running bigger power than stock or little over it the way it was pulling!.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
You won't regret AP, whether on track or road. Just superb. Night and day.

Be careful with RC pads. Absolutely brilliant on track, but can be hard on discs if you do a lot of miles normal road driving. And AP discs are not cheap!

They're fine on track though where they get proper heat.

RC6 is a very aggressive pad. RC5+ might be better if you drive on the road as well as long as you don't do too big road miles.

If it's track only then go RC6 😎 😁
i decided to take this subaru off the road a few months ago to chop it up gradually (to the disgust of my dad) to make it into a track project so better harder louder brakes the better.
Fantastic footage there, really enjoyed watching that. I assumed the car was running bigger power than stock or little over it the way it was pulling!.
Cheers matey, im going to try and keep doing these as well as videos of me modding and then track sessions to see the impact. i self mapped mate so id say its probably lower than factory lol :grinning: As all these Vloggers say ..like and subscribe you *******s lol i need 1m so i can retire and then i can afford to do stupid stuff to cars.

it pulls well. bhp figures are a big bragging point but i dont want all my power in 1 bang at 6500rpm. this car comes in around 4k and stays. i know the atom is very quick in a straight line and it could have pulled away from me harder on the straights. id say im near 300bhp???

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Definitely CL6 for you then 😎 😁 Or even an endurance race pad.

Just get the brakes warmed up before you stomp on them(y)

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
first 2 sessions

Your Impreza is a nice package on track, goes well and certainly handles well too. I’m no expert but I think you could take a slightly different line and less throttle through the hairpin and you wouldn’t have understeer

I think your right about the brakes, would be money very well spent. I had the same brake vibration issues that you are having and it was only down to build up after fitting PFC 08 pads and not bedding them in before hard use... the discs cleaned up fine on the road after the last day out

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
yes i done easy in and came close to the inside apex and drifted out slightly which did help, maybe not in those videos. its the only corner where i took a different line all day lol. i try to get to a place at the hairpin were i can get the wheel straight away and power down.

Brakes will be ordered next week, £50 extra to have them red the robbing ****s.

@StephenDc2 that m3 on the brakes is class, just closed in on me. also corners well, do you use tyre warmers?
waiting on 1 of the clio guys to see if he had a video of him following the subaru. The red evo and i had fun when id slicks on but the brakes and shaking was unbareable.

quimbasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Alphard /EP3

Sunday was great fun, glad the weather cleared up for us. I definately need a bigger brake setup as the standard size pads don't last long and some fresh rubber, think my slicks were nearly down to the wire by the last session.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular

Sunday was great fun, glad the weather cleared up for us. I definately need a bigger brake setup as the standard size pads don't last long and some fresh rubber, think my slicks were nearly down to the wire by the last session.

i dont know my civics well but is yours the one with the rear wing? it was a very quick car, you were closing in hard on me at the end there much much quicker.

quimbasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Alphard /EP3
yes that's me in the grey civic, think I had the AD08r on in this session. I was pushing on close up to you on a few sessions, our cars were doing similar times throughout the day. The slicks make a huge improvement to cornering speeds but the were done after a few sessions really.