Trackskills Trackday. Today 13th September

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Anyone know of there is any availability left for 11th Oct? I'm thinking of bringing the Boxster out for a run if I can get a service squeezed in this week. @V8

I've literally 5mins ago booked and paid so seems to be

neil-c

RMS Regular
Great! Did you book just by sending them email and they sent you back a link?

neil-c

RMS Regular
Right that's me booked in. I didn't get a confirmation email from Trackskills but PayPal payment went through. 👍

Can I wear my Motorcross helmet or you need eye covering? I don't really want to wear goggles as well, so if that's the case I'll have to see about getting a new helmet.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Right that's me booked in. I didn't get a confirmation email from Trackskills but PayPal payment went through. 👍

Can I wear my Motorcross helmet or you need eye covering? I don't really want to wear goggles as well, so if that's the case I'll have to see about getting a new helmet.

you might want eye covering if youre going to run with the roof off but not sure its mandatory. roof up you should be grand

neil-c

RMS Regular
So after a morning booking things in and sorting dropping the car off to the mechanics, looks like I'll be all set for Sunday. Oil, filters and break fluid change booked in for Wednesday, new H&R 10mm lowering springs ordered and getting fitted on Friday along with a wheel alignment. And just about to pull the trigger on some eBay hub centric spacers. As long as Robin doesn't lock us down...

neil-c

RMS Regular
you doing racy pads too?

Should I?? I've heard varying reports on brake fade with the 986 (I think the 996 has larger discs).

I've 4 good pads on the car but the rear passenger disc is unevenly worn on the inside plate so the newish pad is only gripping half the disc on one side. I thought that if I bought expensive pads without replacing the disk I'd just ruin them quickly with uneven wear. Ultimately I think I'm going to buy a cheap warm/hot hatch for the winter months and strip it out for a track focused road car. Thinking along the lines of a R53 Cooper S at the moment so didnt want to throw too much money at this track day. The springs and spacers are as much for the look of the thing as its performance for the Boxster. Do you think I'm being silly not putting on better pads??

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Should I?? I've heard varying reports on brake fade with the 986 (I think the 996 has larger discs).

I've 4 good pads on the car but the rear passenger disc is unevenly worn on the inside plate so the newish pad is only gripping half the disc on one side. I thought that if I bought expensive pads without replacing the disk I'd just ruin them quickly with uneven wear. Ultimately I think I'm going to buy a cheap warm/hot hatch for the winter months and strip it out for a track focused road car. Thinking along the lines of a R53 Cooper S at the moment so didnt want to throw too much money at this track day. The springs and spacers are as much for the look of the thing as its performance for the Boxster. Do you think I'm being silly not putting on better pads??

I know with the 996(I've an early 3.4 so maybe same brakes as you?) the biggest issue is fluid boiling. I'm sticking some RBF600 in mine. For most people that's enough really. Cooling is another issue which is why I stuck the GT3 cooling ducts on mine, realistically though I'll not be braking hard or mate enough to notice lol.

I'm sticking pads in only because I haven't done them yet, going for the Brembo Sport HP2000 which a few guys use and cheap enough. Ds2500 was the other choice. And I thihght I may as well stick a set of braided hoses on there while I'm into the brake system, original hoses are probably 20 years old now.

neil-c

RMS Regular
@gav525 I'm no Porsche expert but I just googled it again and the Boxster S has a larger brake disc than the normal 2.7 - the S shares the part with the 996. I just had the car out a run, only 10 minutes each direction and the rear passenger disk/caliper is quite warm to the touch and it shouldn't be. It must be sticking slightly. Now I'm thinking I should fire on some upgraded pads because I've found a guy on PH who has said his 2.7 suffered from brake fade after only a few laps on track. Don't want my day spoiled by poor brakes.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@gav525 I'm no Porsche expert but I just googled it again and the Boxster S has a larger brake disc than the normal 2.7 - the S shares the part with the 996. I just had the car out a run, only 10 minutes each direction and the rear passenger disk/caliper is quite warm to the touch and it shouldn't be. It must be sticking slightly. Now I'm thinking I should fire on some upgraded pads because I've found a guy on PH who has said his 2.7 suffered from brake fade after only a few laps on track. Don't want my day spoiled by poor brakes.

Probably as well just to be sure and have a look at the caliper while you're in there and free it off.
I'll probably do 10mins on track at a time and come in and check them and won't be jumping on them like I would other cars, certainly not to begin with anyways.

More worried about the IMS bearing, oil starvation, heads cracking and all the other standard 996 issues 😂

neil-c

RMS Regular
Yes @gav525 sounds like a plan, I'd be up for that.

Just got the Boxster fitted with 10mm lower H&R springs, meant to be the same stiffness as the Porsche M030 which are said to be very good. Think it turned into a bit of handling session getting the rear springs in - took 6 hours apparently incl a Hunter wheel alignment. Got the GT3 front ducts fitted as well - went for the bigger 991 ducts so they were £13 each from Porsche rather than 997 ones at £4 odd. Should be good to go now!