Trailer Mods: Cover and Bike Rack

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have a wee 5x3ft trailer that I made a few years ago. We’re now thinking we need a trailer instead of the roof box for camping because “we’ve” bought so much crap. Does anyone know where I could get a tarpaulin or rigid cover made for it?

Also, I was thinking about making some sort of removable cage to go over the top of the trailer that I could use to hold the bikes. Then I thought it would be easier to weld a bar across the front and bolt a towbar to it, as I have a towbar bike rack already. Any reason this wouldn’t work? obviously the crash bar a towbar is mounted to on a car is a lot beefier, but would a bit of steel welded on be fit to hold the weight of 3 bikes? I’ve no idea 😳.

B7C715F5-BF96-4A18-A4F4-D14A49E03302.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Where are you thinking of welding the cross member to hold the towbar? There's quite a bit of leverage on it so would need to be welded to something substantial (i.e. not the upper level of the frame).

I'm no engineer, so apologies in advance if this doesn't work, but what about DIY hinged lid made from board, perhaps with a couple of air struts to help raise it and then three fork mounts bolted to that for carrying the bikes on?

Something like this:

fork mount.png

You could probably fit some quick release hinges for converting into a normal trailer again if needed:

hinge.png

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I put roof rails across mine, bikes in the trailer flat, roof box on the roof rails, the trailer is 6x4 and the roof box is about 6" longer than the trailer though lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Where are you thinking of welding the cross member to hold the towbar? There's quite a bit of leverage on it so would need to be welded to something substantial (i.e. not the upper level of the frame).

I'm no engineer, so apologies in advance if this doesn't work, but what about DIY hinged lid made from board, perhaps with a couple of air struts to help raise it and then three fork mounts bolted to that for carrying the bikes on?

Something like this:

View attachment 237572

You could probably fit some quick release hinges for converting into a normal trailer again if needed:

View attachment 237573

Not a bad idea. After I posted last night I actually found the tarps ghost mentioned on eBay, and was going to go down that route for convenience, but I hadn’t thought of actually attaching the bikes to a board then. I could get a few Thule pro ride roof bike racks then replicate the attachments.

Need to give it a bit more thought on how to make and attach a lid to ensure it’s watertight etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not a bad idea. After I posted last night I actually found the tarps ghost mentioned on eBay, and was going to go down that route for convenience, but I hadn’t thought of actually attaching the bikes to a board then. I could get a few Thule pro ride roof bike racks then replicate the attachments.

Need to give it a bit more thought on how to make and attach a lid to ensure it’s watertight etc.

I built a little box to store my BBQ stuff in with a flip up lid a few years ago. To make it water tight I just stuck a few hooks round the outside and fixed a HD tarp using ball straps (you'll have fun ebaying / googling those 😂 ) to them.

The main thing about just a tarp is it's not lockable, so you couldn't really use it for storage when camping unless it's stuff you don't mind getting nicked.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye not sure what I’d do with bikes when we are out and about away from the campsite.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
True.

Also thinking it might be an option to attach roofbars to the trailer and use actual bike carriers over the top, but again will need to have a think about connections as most bars are specific to vehicle roof rails.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The bars I used are the type that rest on the roof and then clamp to the car via a 6mm bolt at the top of the door frame. These rest nicely on the edge of the trailer and I use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. It wouldn't be hard to modify the bars I have so that they bolt to the trailer, I just haven't been interested enough yet lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The bars I used are the type that rest on the roof and then clamp to the car via a 6mm bolt at the top of the door frame. These rest nicely on the edge of the trailer and I use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. It wouldn't be hard to modify the bars I have so that they bolt to the trailer, I just haven't been interested enough yet lol

Any photos of yours?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lol! I was going to mention that, it actually looks a lot worse than it is. Those are just boxes sitting round the trailer that need dropped off at the dump.