Trailer Recommendations

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Hi all,

On the browse for a general duty/goods trailer. Likely 8ft x 4/5ft. Quite keen on something with mesh sides too. More than likely single axel.

anyone recommendations of what to go for? I’ve done some homework and obviously found the likes of:
- Indespension
- Nugent
- David Murphy
- Ifor Williams

Thanks
Tom

Reactions: Lee

neil-c

RMS Regular
I'd definitely recommend a Dale Kane. A lot of the garden men are using 8×5 tippers with mesh sides. Hardox drop sides and floor - tow really well and are well put together. Nugent are also a good trailer but not worth the premium over a Dale Kane imo. I wouldn't have an ifor Williams - build quality isn't what it used to be.

David Murphy trailers I assume would be the cheaper out of your list - from a quick Google they look to be DIY/light use trailers. The others you've listed are commercial so will be more expensive.

redxl77

RMS Regular
Myself/family have that exact sort of trailer, bought a number of years ago. Single axle/mesh sides, same sort of size. By Dale Kane.

I don't like the tailgate, ought to have been mesh but is solid with a sheet of chequer alu, which seems to act like a bit of a wind brake. We asked for an extended tailgate and even with that the lawnmower does bottom out a bit when driving on.

Single axle just about ok but in hindsight we should have got a double, because with the mesh sides you can sometimes be tempted to make use of the extra vertical space and end up overloading it.

Last edited:

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
Been looking at getting a trailer myself for the random odd jobs, not sure whether to go for a smaller/cheaper single axle or plough more money into a bigger twin axle.
Question though - does eg 8x4 plywood fit into an 8x4 trailer, or would it need to be a 10x5.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Another vote for Dale Kane, i had an 8x5 double axle until recently. Was a fantastic towing trailer and took anything i threw at it.

I see you are in Ballyclare, highly recommend Jeffrey McKay just outside Straid. He deals in them

Lee

RMS Regular
Done a bit of looking at trailers recently and you won't get much of a 7x4 onwards size galvanized worth buying under about £1500. And that's not even for the names you listed, I expect they'll be more!

I sort of decided I couldn't justify it for the odd dump run etc. And can't seem to bring myself to buy a timber/steel frame trailer. That would probably do alright but those are getting dearer too for anything decent.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Been looking at getting a trailer myself for the random odd jobs, not sure whether to go for a smaller/cheaper single axle or plough more money into a bigger twin axle.
Question though - does eg 8x4 plywood fit into an 8x4 trailer, or would it need to be a 10x5.
Yes it does, the are usually just over the 8x4 or 8x5 size so they do fit, thats the reason i bought mine at the time. A 10x5 is usually triple axle and a beast to tow for a few sheets of board lol

Done a bit of looking at trailers recently and you won't get much of a 7x4 onwards size galvanized worth buying under about £1500. And that's not even for the names you listed, I expect they'll be more!

I sort of decided I couldn't justify it for the odd dump run etc. And can't seem to bring myself to buy a timber/steel frame trailer. That would probably do alright but those are getting dearer too for anything decent.
Yeah, mine was over 1500 new but thats the reason i sold it, didnt use it much anymore and my local dump doesnt allow double axle trailers now without a commercial license :mad:

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Id go ifor Williams. They get the name for being the best, doesn’t mean they are but it certainly helps the resale value.
Ours pulls fantastic
D956BEA6-6B2B-4364-823C-73B9232EBCF9.jpeg

neil-c

RMS Regular
PXL_20210222_134352659.jpg

Yea trailers are not cheap these days. I bit the bullet last year and bought my tipper. It was £3200+VAT so worth not a lot less than the van pulling it! Seriously good bit of kit though and tows vrey well.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Dale Kane was very disappointing from a supply view. Tried to buy one 2 months ago 10x5’6 tipper. Rang dale Kane direct and no answer for 2 weeks and never got through. Rang 4/5 local dealers who all said same sort of story that the trailers are in short supply and they couldn’t give any time scale nor would take deposit to hold one on back order. Rang Lamont trailers who ordered me an Ifor Williams straight away, 4-6 week waiting list but least I know it’s partially paid for an ordered. We have always had ifor Williams and never been let down yet and wanted to give the local man a turn but simply couldn’t get a straight answer. Nugent seem to be great design etc but few trades men say they don’t take the abuse as well and David Murphy are great for domestic purposes but not commercial. If your looking an ifor Williams deffo give Lamonts a phone as they were the most helpful

111gsi

RMS Regular
I've got a Broniss (David Murphy) single axle 750kg - great trailer for DIY/general home use and I wouldn't be without it now, but it wouldn't be up to everyday commercial use.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
MCM seem to be a slightly cheaper but still good quality make.
My builder mate has an 8*4 with mesh cribs and it looks decent. Not quite up to the standard of ifor/ Nugent etc but not bad.
My da near bought one new as well but he managed to get a great condition 2nd hand ifor 8*5 for similar money.
Not sure if they still make MCM new. Had heard for some reason or another that the guy making them had stopped.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Yes it does, the are usually just over the 8x4 or 8x5 size so they do fit, thats the reason i bought mine at the time. A 10x5 is usually triple axle and a beast to tow for a few sheets of board lol
A 10’ trailer will rarely, if ever be triple axle, it will be double. My own is a 10x6’6” Ifor. My Neighbour made mesh sides for it.

@Tam9n think about somewhere secure to store it, esp if it’s a big brand name. Also, check if your license and tow car have any weight limitations. I think in legal terms it still looks at plated max weights rather than what you actually have on the trailer

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
MCM seem to be a slightly cheaper but still good quality make.
My builder mate has an 8*4 with mesh cribs and it looks decent. Not quite up to the standard of ifor/ Nugent etc but not bad.
My da near bought one new as well but he managed to get a great condition 2nd hand ifor 8*5 for similar money.
Not sure if they still make MCM new. Had heard for some reason or another that the guy making them had stopped.

My dad was looking to buy another MCM trailer and was told by Armagh trailers that the man who made them had passed away, so they were no longer available.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Porter trailers, Castlederg.

I've had one of their 7x4'ish trailers for over 20 years now, and it's been superb. Which is more than can be said for their website.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Take a real look at what you’re gonna use it for Tom.

If you have inside storage, a plant type trailer, fully galvanised and commercial ready is massively overkill for domestic use in my opinion.

The ply lined 8x4 trailer I used for log deliveries was under 1/2 the weight of fully metal, less than half the price, and was still rated to carry 1 1/4 tonne. It’s 20+ years old now too, still doing the business.

If it’s for lawn clippings, dump runs, general domestic haulage, and will be towed by a car that’ll likely only have around 1.5 tonne towing limit anyway, a commercial level trailer would be overkill personally.

If you see yourself moving sand / topsoil or the like for say a garden project, or budget is healthy enough not to worry, then definitely go for ifor williams or Dale Kane, but there’s more suitable options I’d say.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Porter trailers, Castlederg.

I've had one of their 7x4'ish trailers for over 20 years now, and it's been superb. Which is more than can be said for their website.

12month waiting list going by their Facebook page

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
12month waiting list going by their Facebook page

Not sure if that applies to all models. Sign of a good product though.
Take a real look at what you’re gonna use it for Tom.

If you have inside storage, a plant type trailer, fully galvanised and commercial ready is massively overkill for domestic use in my opinion.

The ply lined 8x4 trailer I used for log deliveries was under 1/2 the weight of fully metal, less than half the price, and was still rated to carry 1 1/4 tonne. It’s 20+ years old now too, still doing the business.

If it’s for lawn clippings, dump runs, general domestic haulage, and will be towed by a car that’ll likely only have around 1.5 tonne towing limit anyway, a commercial level trailer would be overkill personally.

If you see yourself moving sand / topsoil or the like for say a garden project, or budget is healthy enough not to worry, then definitely go for ifor williams or Dale Kane, but there’s more suitable options I’d say.

Presumably if it's plated to 1.25 ton, it will be fully braked etc ? Overkill for domestic use.

And fully galvanised does not mean commercial. Mine is just a small all steel, galvanised single axle, no brakes, 750kg trailer. If the trailer is plated to over 750kg...doesn't that create some license issues for some people too ? Trailer rules are mental.

Plus a lot of trailers have ****ty/plastic mudguards, unprotected lights etc. My Porter has full steel built in mudguards, which seems irrelevant, but they make a great step if you're getting into the back of the trailer to brush stuff out of it etc.

When I bought it some 20 years ago, I looked at dozens of different ones, and this was really the best of the lot. Just lots of small things, that would seem obvious to have, but most did not.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This is a newer version of mine, the closest in picture. A few details are different. I think I paid £500 or so 20 years ago....they'd probably be a lot more now. Sound investment I guess lol

porter trailer.jpg

Fully sided/caged.
Or this looks decent

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
If the trailer is plated to over 750kg...doesn't that create some license issues for some people too ? Trailer rules are mental.
No, with the right vehicle and trailer combination you can tow over 1ton on a standard B licence

111gsi

RMS Regular
No, with the right vehicle and trailer combination you can tow over 1ton on a standard B licence
Yes, generally gross train weight under 3.5T. 3500kg minus the maximum permissible gross weight of the towcar gives the maximum trailer weight. On a B licence you're judged on the plated trailer gross, I *think* B+E people are judged on the actual weight of the trailer being towed.

So for us non trailer test people, you can tow more with a large car than a 4x4...

neil-c

RMS Regular
Yes as far as I'm aware the sweet spot is my VW Caddy. It's 1700kg and rated to tow 1700kg so it falls below 3500. The bit that is technically wrong/illegal for me is that my trailer should be down plated to a gross of 1700 instead of 3000.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Yes as far as I'm aware the sweet spot is my VW Caddy. It's 1700kg and rated to tow 1700kg so it falls below 3500. The bit that is technically wrong/illegal for me is that my trailer should be down plated to a gross of 1700 instead of 3000.
Yup, that's exactly how a bored cop would see it. Likewise, the same trailer downplated carrying a heavier load that it's capable of.