Trailer Recommendations

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
I've got a Broniss (David Murphy) single axle 750kg - great trailer for DIY/general home use and I wouldn't be without it now, but it wouldn't be up to everyday commercial use.
+1 for Broniss. I’ve a Broniss single axel 2 motorbike trailer and it’s a great bit of kit. Tows really well.

120FBE33-49AD-4979-AA9A-733226066811.jpeg

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
If it’s if any use and before I stick it on gumtree I have an Indespension 8x5 Double axle trailer here I don’t need anymore? Would be looking around £2,250. No VAT.

D2FEC6E6-4FA1-4AE5-9AFE-EB67569C5CB1.jpeg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Is that the sort of money trailers are making these days? I paid a brave bit less for my Ifor 10x6'6 albeit 5 years ago

SLW00

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
MCM seem to be a slightly cheaper but still good quality make.
My builder mate has an 8*4 with mesh cribs and it looks decent. Not quite up to the standard of ifor/ Nugent etc but not bad.
My da near bought one new as well but he managed to get a great condition 2nd hand ifor 8*5 for similar money.
Not sure if they still make MCM new. Had heard for some reason or another that the guy making them had stopped.
Mcm are no longer in business
I’d highly recommend Ifor Williams, build quality is still 1st class. Resale value is always great. If buying 2nd hand, check brakes, cables.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
OP
Tam9n
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Update lads, long story short I bought a brand new Nugent 7x4’4 from CM Plant Sales in Moy. Colm was great to deal with, and by far the best prices I could find. It’ll surprise you how well priced these are.

Great Piece of kit, mesh sides and a big ramp tail. Tows so well. Overall, very happy!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Update lads, long story short I bought a brand new Nugent 7x4’4 from CM Plant Sales in Moy. Colm was great to deal with, and by far the best prices I could find. It’ll surprise you how well priced these are.

Great Piece of kit, mesh sides and a big ramp tail. Tows so well. Overall, very happy!
Get a pic up got to love a new trailer just out of the dip lol

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
View attachment 318937

Yea trailers are not cheap these days. I bit the bullet last year and bought my tipper. It was £3200+VAT so worth not a lot less than the van pulling it! Seriously good bit of kit though and tows vrey well.

Can the van tow that loaded legally?

Never mind, seen you answered that. Do you have to down plate it or just ensure it’s not over the weight to be legal?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Yes, generally gross train weight under 3.5T. 3500kg minus the maximum permissible gross weight of the towcar gives the maximum trailer weight. On a B licence you're judged on the plated trailer gross, I *think* B+E people are judged on the actual weight of the trailer being towed.

So for us non trailer test people, you can tow more with a large car than a 4x4...

Yeah, am I right in thinking with the Range Rover with a normal licence I can ton 1.1 ton as the RR is 2.4 ton with a max train weigh of 6.8 ton?

neil-c

RMS Regular
Can the van tow that loaded legally?

Never mind, seen you answered that. Do you have to down plate it or just ensure it’s not over the weight to be legal?
I believe it should be down plated to be fully legal. But I've just bought a Ford Ranger so it'll not be on the Caddy again, except in emergencies.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Yeah, am I right in thinking with the Range Rover with a normal licence I can ton 1.1 ton as the RR is 2.4 ton with a max train weigh of 6.8 ton?

is that 2.4 ton kerb weight?

the mam of tow vehicle + mam of trailer must be under 3500kg on Normal license

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have the rules not changed again? I used to know the rules but I’m sure they’ve changed at least once since I did the B&E test.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Yes 2.4 kerb weight.
Mam of the RR is 6.8 ton and the trailer is 3.5 ton
That 6.8t will be RR+trailer
is that 2.4 ton kerb weight?

the mam of tow vehicle + mam of trailer must be under 3500kg on Normal license
Yes and no. There is an allowance for heavier tow vehicles in there:

“A category B vehicle may be coupled with a trailer over 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 3,500kgs MAM. Or it could be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 4,250kgs MAM”

If you hold B+E, the MAM of car+trailer can be up to 7000kgs, with 3500kg of that being trailer, and assuming the car plating supports towing such a weight.

Last edited:

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
That 6.8t will be RR+trailer

Yes and no. There is an allowance for heavier tow vehicles in there:

“A category B vehicle may be coupled with a trailer over 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 3,500kgs MAM. Or it could be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 4,250kgs MAM”

If you hold B+E, the MAM of car+trailer can be up to 7000kgs, with 3500kg of that being trailer, and assuming the car plating supports towing such a weight.

Even more confused lol

So with normal licence with the RR can I tow more than 750kg up to a maximum total weight if 3500kg? IE the RR is 2400kg, can I tow 1100kg?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Towing weights based on MAM so I guess you’ll not be able to even tow 1100kg, which seems a bit mental because you could probably do more than that with a mondeo, legally.

The MAM I think is 6800kg

Should get a tow bar on the Mondeo 😂 that would be good fun with that tipper on the back

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The MAM I think is 6800kg

Should get a tow bar on the Mondeo 😂 that would be good fun with that tipper on the back

It’s more than likely 3300kg MAM assuming it has a 3500kg towing capacity. 6800kg might be GTW or something? Either way without a B&E it seems like you’re legally limited to 750kg.