Trailer Test

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
I can't find anything on a search for this. Has anyone on here done the trailer test? I've been towing trailers since I passed my test, illegally, but I think it's about time I actually got the license.

What is involved with the trailer test, how many lessions are required (I could probably show them a thing or two) and how long does it take?

what year did you pass your test ? And what weights are you towing ?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
do the intensive with ians, especially if you know what your doing already. In your case it will be knowing the correct order to do things and the checks the examiner is looking for. Driving is the easy bit.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I started looking into the trailer test but then checked exactly what I could tow on my existing license.
For the trailer/ car combo I have I don't think I will ever need to exceed it. I have the calculations printed out and in the glovebox of the car should plod ever question it. Provided I am not over the payload weight I should be grand.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
if your license was issued before 1/1/1997 your elected, if after then your restricted pretty heavily.

Didn't get my license until 2002 so I don't qualify for the "draw whatever you like" unfortunately. But whats on my license is enough for what il need it for from my reading of the legislation on the .gov website.

Last edited:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
i was told pretty much as a rule of thumb, any sort of braked trailer or if more than 1 axle, you need the license.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Assuming it's a 6x4 trailer with a few grass trimmings for the dump, it'll be grand on the standard license. If it's more than that then you need to know your MAMs. General rule of thumb seems to be if it looks safe, it's not going to attract any attention.

Mate of mine got his towing license not long after his car test and was towing with R plates up. 5-0 used to stop us quite a bit with the usual smart arse "hello sir, if you can just produce your B&E there we will let you on your way" requests. Assuming he didn't have it of course, which he did. Once he dropped the R's we were never stopped (4x4 towing another 4x4). Only other time we were stopped was towing a boat with a plate missing. The guy had just done his towing rules training and took great pleasure in checking plates, etc. Everything was fine, was just bad luck the plate fell off and we were on our way after 20 mins or so.

Only real cause of concern would be if you were to have an accident doing something stupid like exceeding the towing capacity of the car, or being over your MAM even on an empty trailer. Ordinarily I doubt the police will care too much with a standard stop, but hurt someone and you could be up for quite a bit more scrutiny.

In the end I got mine. I wasn't totally confident in fully understanding the rules and it's also good to know how to tow safe. Plus I can do whatever I need to now, even if it's just towing one of my cars up the road to a track day once a year.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I still haven't got mine. Really need to get it sorted but I'm thinking about just going to whole hog and getting the Class 1 and Class 2 to just cover everything instead.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I still haven't got mine. Really need to get it sorted but I'm thinking about just going to whole hog and getting the Class 1 and Class 2 to just cover everything instead.
Class 2 on its own doesn’t cover you for car & trailer I don’t think

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
No, but Class 1 will give you B+E and everything in between :p

I believe I will have to do class 2 first and then class 1 because my license doesn't even allow more than 3.5 tonne.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
No, but Class 1 will give you B+E and everything in between :p

I believe I will have to do class 2 first and then class 1 because my license doesn't even allow more than 3.5 tonne.
can you not get a 4x4 and a trailer and do it yourself lol?

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Done my b+e along with two others and we used Thomas at trailertrainingni. All day Saturday, half day on a Wednesday and test in the afternoon. It was intense.

I failed the first time but got it the next week.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Copied from a lgv/trailer training group on Facebook, pretty good explanation:

What am I allowed to tow?
This is a very common question. Here is a quick guide. Use our flow chart to see if you need a BE licence. MAM stands for Maximum Authorized Mass, this means the most your vehicle is allowed to weigh fully loaded with passengers and luggage etc if put on a weigh bridge. You can find your cars MAM on a sticker on your car, sometimes inside the door or under the bonnet.

Here we have two stickers , one from a BMW X5 , the other from a Hyundai Getz.

The top number is the vehicle"s MAM, the 2nd number is the combined maximum weight of your vehicle and trailer ( train weight).Take the 1st weight from the 2nd to see the maximum weight your trailer can be.

The BMW X5's MAM is 2695kg and it's train weight is 5515kg so it can tow a total weight of 2820kg.

The Hyundai Getz"s mam is 1510kg and it's train weight is 2510kg so it can only tow 1000kg.

Example 1
If the BMW X5 tows a 1000kg trailer the driver must have a BE licence as the combined MAM is over 3500kg . If the Hyundai Getz tows the same trailer the driver does not need a BE licence.

Example 2
Both the X5 and the Hyundai Getz can tow a 750kg trailer without needing a BE licence.

Example 3
The X5 can tow a 1500kg trailer but needs a BE licence. The Hyundai Getz cannot tow a 1500kg trailer as it is over the cars legal limit, even if the driver holds a BE licence.

Alright, it wasn't a quick guide but it covers a lot of questions we are frequently asked. For any other questions or to book a lesson please contact us.

Thanks