Transporting new parts from GB

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
Brexit question sorry! Asking for a friend.....
If one was to take a van and trailer to England and bring it back full of brand new parts for a kit car project. How does that sit with customs. Would there be any fees to pay?
I've been on the gov website and I'm none the wiser.....

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If you are buying it from a kit car company, they should be providing you with the correct paperwork ref origin of parts.

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
It's as clear as mud:

If you travel with goods by air or sea between Great Britain and Northern Ireland​

If you carry goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland by commercial sea or air transports, in most cases, no VAT will be due.

When you’ll have to account for import VAT​

You’ll need to account for import VAT on goods, including personal possessions, that:

• did not incur VAT of an equivalent value at the original point of purchase
  • total more than £390 in value
Further guidance on this will be available shortly.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
AFAIK it will depend on the origin of the goods. 'Rule of origin' I believe is the term, its been causing some issues over the past few days..

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
Hopefully by time the transaction is completed things will be a bit clearer - VAT will be paid at point of sale in England so I don't see that any additional fees will be due - It's just down to filling in the right paperwork.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's as clear as mud:

If you travel with goods by air or sea between Great Britain and Northern Ireland​

If you carry goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland by commercial sea or air transports, in most cases, no VAT will be due.

When you’ll have to account for import VAT​

You’ll need to account for import VAT on goods, including personal possessions, that:

• did not incur VAT of an equivalent value at the original point of purchase
  • total more than £390 in value
Further guidance on this will be available shortly.

Clear as mud...and what is the definition of goods ? or personal possessions ?

So if you drive across in a car wearing expensive clothes and jewellery, all and each single item of which is valued at more than £390....you need paperwork for it ?

That's a bit of bull****.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yes, I take it you've seen this too regarding motorsport vehicles? I have done a few Targas in Wales and would like to do more but this may make it a bit more difficult. Unsure at the moment if travelling to England from NI as opposed to Dublin makes it easier. This is the way it was back in the 80's when we were racing at Mondello and Phoenix Park. :sob:

Dave..

RMS Regular
Yes, I take it you've seen this too regarding motorsport vehicles? I have done a few Targas in Wales and would like to do more but this may make it a bit more difficult. Unsure at the moment if travelling to England from NI as opposed to Dublin makes it easier. This is the way it was back in the 80's when we were racing at Mondello and Phoenix Park. :sob:
That sounds like a pita to sort out.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, it will be. You'll need a full manifest of everything that you take with you including parts, tyres, tools etc. They also want a 40% desposit for the value of the car until you return through the border. Pretty sure it will be ok between North & South but probably not East to West. Unsure West to East but may depend on the route you take.
Balls.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

None of that makes sense either...and exactly what is a motorsport vehicle ?

So do people taking caravans across have to do the same ? Or any valuables or possessions ?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
🤷‍♂️ Dunno, anything that has an MSUK logbook? Targa / Road Rally cars generally don't so does that mean mine is a road car? (y)
Probably an adventure in the making. 🤦‍♂️

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
🤷‍♂️ Dunno, anything that has an MSUK logbook? Targa / Road Rally cars generally don't so does that mean mine is a road car? (y)
Probably an adventure in the making. 🤦‍♂️
Yay, back to the good old days of triplicate lists of parts, tools etc for competitors and hours of going through it at the border, however, road registered single seaters! Amazing stuff.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Fingers crossed but looking a little uncertain at present!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Hence my wondering about flying over and driving a car home that I’ve just bought. I’m certainly bringing something back that wasn’t ever in NI. Or am I wrong and it’s business as usual ?
Probably be 3/4 months away

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If it's an import and has all import taxes paid and correct paperwork in place, it 'should' be no problem but that's not what people are finding with a lot of things. In 3/4 months, there should be time to iron the wrinkles out, hopefully...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There are no wrinkles to iron out... This is what Brexit actually means. It's done.

We will be finding more things like the motorsport thing, not fewer.

Welcome to 1970.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
By wrinkles, I meant everybody getting used to the paperwork required and acquiring the necessary period appropriate clothing and an old oil drum full of burning rubbish to stand around while you wait to get 'processed'. :rolleyes:

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
Further guidance available shortly...... That said it all to me. Don't even try to work it out. They don't know themselves yet.
I did vote remain and already I feel very "I told you so". Anyway, mustn't dwell hopefully it'll be OK

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Further guidance available shortly...... That said it all to me. Don't even try to work it out. They don't know themselves yet.
I did vote remain and already I feel very "I told you so". Anyway, mustn't dwell hopefully it'll be OK

Let's face it, when the remainers were trying to sabotage every deal the government trying for.....they have a lot of blame for it all themselves. Hell, they even voted for a no deal at the end of it all.

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
LOL I regret that remark now. It'll be at least a few weeks before we can make the trip anyway. Hopefully the "further guidance" will be available by then

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Let's face it, it's a **** sandwich and nobody is allowed to say otherwise?
Remainers have nothing to take any blame for here, but, we will have to just get on with it, because it is what it is. Just don't expect happy faces all round.

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
Let's face it, it's a **** sandwich and nobody is allowed to say otherwise?
Remainers have nothing to take any blame for here, but, we will have to just get on with it, because it is what it is. Just don't expect happy faces all round.
It's a new angle I must say - Vote leave it'll be great - Ah it's not great - that's the remainers fault lol.
Anyway let's stay factual and not get the thread shutdown :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's a new angle I must say - Vote leave it'll be great - Ah it's not great - that's the remainers fault lol.
Anyway let's stay factual and not get the thread shutdown :grinning:

The negotiations were like playing cards with your wife behind you telling everyone at the table what your cards are.