Triumph TR8 / Rover SD1 V8 Engine Wanted

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
M3
Hi, I'm on the lookout for a V8 engine for one of my Dad's TR7 resto projects to replace the 2.0L. I believe the original V8 was shared with the Rover SD1, for simplicity one of those would be great. Any info/leads on bits for sale appreciated.

IMG_1870.JPG

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Hi Jamie, don’t really have any contacts for Rover stuff but there is a good TR7 group on Facebook, you could source a full used conversion kit on there to just drop in.. Good luck!

Good to see another being saved! :grinning:

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Hi Jamie. Worthwhile speaking to Robin Allingham who has a petrol station on the main Moira/Lisburn road (RW Allinghams). He converted many TR7s to V8s and used to rally them, my dad had one of his old cars 15 odd years ago and it was a real tidy conversion. If he doesn’t have any V8s about him I’m sure he could point you in the direction of someone who has.

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Hi Jamie. Worthwhile speaking to Robin Allingham who has a petrol station on the main Moira/Lisburn road (RW Allinghams). He converted many TR7s to V8s and used to rally them, my dad had one of his old cars 15 odd years ago and it was a real tidy conversion. If he doesn’t have any V8s about him I’m sure he could point you in the direction of someone who has.

Good Call, I have never met Robin but his name has been mentioned to me as a TR Guru about a dozen times in conversation 👍

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Good Call, I have never met Robin but his name has been mentioned to me as a TR Guru about a dozen times in conversation 👍
He knows them inside out! I went to school with his son who would have filled me in about all the projects he was at. The car my dad had was a Sprint/Hillclimb prepped dark green TR7 V8 built by Robin, RWL 637X was the reg (I think)
There is a daily driven gold TR7 V8 about Portadown with a set of spotlights that I’d see usually once a week when I’m in work. Quite rough but sounds good!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
He knows them inside out! I went to school with his son who would have filled me in about all the projects he was at. The car my dad had was a Sprint/Hillclimb prepped dark green TR7 V8 built by Robin, RWL 637X was the reg (I think)
There is a daily driven gold TR7 V8 about Portadown with a set of spotlights that I’d see usually once a week when I’m in work. Quite rough but sounds good!

Was it British Racing Green & Arched? Think I remember it from the hillclimbs, early 2000’s, was dual driven by two chaps but can’t remember their names!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Was it British Racing Green & Arched? Think I remember it from the hillclimbs, early 2000’s, was dual driven by two chaps but can’t remember their names!
Correct. I don’t have any pictures of it unfortunately. My dad bought it from a guy in Magheralin called Clem Fitzgerald (pretty sure it was Fitzgerald) around 2003/4, then it was sold to a guy who worked in Prentice BMW who would have taken it to classic shows but disappeared off the radar from about 2007 or so. My dad never raced it, just took a notion for it in the autotrader and bought it to rip about the roads in lol. I remember it was horrendously stiff with the way it was set up. Think the engine was a pretty standard 3.5 with a 4 barrel Holley.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Correct. I don’t have any pictures of it unfortunately. My dad bought it from a guy in Magheralin called Clem Fitzgerald (pretty sure it was Fitzgerald) around 2003/4, then it was sold to a guy who worked in Prentice BMW who would have taken it to classic shows but disappeared off the radar from about 2007 or so. My dad never raced it, just took a notion for it in the autotrader and bought it to rip about the roads in lol. I remember it was horrendously stiff with the way it was set up. Think the engine was a pretty standard 3.5 with a 4 barrel Holley.
Yes Clem, that’s the chap!

Did your dad by chance sell it to a chap from
Portadown called Scott McMurray?

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Yes Clem, that’s the chap!

Did your dad by chance sell it to a chap from
Portadown called Scott McMurray?
Believe it or not it was traded into Prentice as a PX (along with another car) for a new Cooper S JCW around 2005. Later the salesman told my dad one of the mechanics had bought it and I would have seen it around Lurgan from time to time. Got talking to the owner at the Banbridge outlet show a couple of years later and he said he had bought it from the mechanic at Prentice. Couldn’t tell you his name but he was a tall, slim fella probably around 40ish back in 2007/2008.