TT 2019

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You need to serve your time in short circuits first, before you can apply for your roadracing licence, then do a few road races before applying for your international licence, for the likes of the NW, TT, UGP etc.
Unless your somebody good, like Irwin, Jezza, Seeley et all.
Even SC racing is expensive.

Oh aye, SC stuff I'd have no problem having a go at and hopefully will get a chance to start next year, work permitting. Just don't think I could ever do the roads, as much as I'd love to!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
What happens if the weather causes the racing that day to be cancelled, can it be moved to the following day when racing doesn't occur, or is it just cancelled for the year.
They can rerun another day but only for x number of days. Basically, if on next sat for the senior it's snowing, it's cancelled..

Have to account for qualifying laps too, can't go straight to racing

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
It has to be done though, to get any further. It's the racing apprenticeship.
Its still good craic all the same, just not so much track time.

Yeah it has to be a stepping stone to the roads, would rather by a track bike to get the laps in, doesn't have that competitive edge to it though

jonspeed04

RMS Regular
Drives
Carlos Brennan
Weather has put paid to my trip ... was meant to leave at 4pm tomorrow on a rib home Sunday at 12pm for work on Monday . Racing now on Sunday due to lack of practice and no space on a later boat on Sunday .

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Speaking of Jezza. Can’t warm to him. Doing the North West after saying years ago road racing should be banned. On another note been here in the IOM since Thursday morning and haven’t seen a race bike yet. Hopefully it clears up. Quite a bit of wind out here at Sulby.

Outkast

RMS Regular
Previously in the TT, if the races aren't complete by end of last Friday, then that particular race would be cancelled due to lack of Marshalls ( returning home on ferries etc)

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
IMG_20190601_134124.jpg

DriftnSlide

Banned
OP
DriftnSlide
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Deja Vu for Dean again in the superbikes today.
He must be wondering what he has to do ffs. lol
Red flagged after 4 laps. Hope everyone is ok.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Oh aye, SC stuff I'd have no problem having a go at and hopefully will get a chance to start next year, work permitting. Just don't think I could ever do the roads, as much as I'd love to!

How does one get started in short circuits as an absolute racing novice? is there a licence or what?

DriftnSlide

Banned
OP
DriftnSlide
Drives
S60 D5 SE
How does one get started in short circuits as an absolute racing novice? is there a licence or what?

Join a club, pick a number, fill out the form, get a medical from your doctor. That gets you your racing licence, then start saving or re mortgage.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Join a club, pick a number, fill out the form, get a medical from your doctor. That gets you your racing licence, then start saving or re mortgage.

Lol pretty much this @Dusty

Definitekt join a club first, they'll direct you through the whole process. Training days to go on at beginning of year also at Kirkistown usually as well. Then as above, remortgage or find some generous sponsors.

I'm going to try next year, problem with my work is that I'm away 6 months of the year so miss a lot of meetings. Even just a couple of club races would keep me happy.

DriftnSlide

Banned
OP
DriftnSlide
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Yep, you'll have to join a club to get the licence application anyway.
The Kirky/Bishopscourt training days were non existent In my day. lol.
You just got your licence, turned up at a practice day or meeting and tried not to make a d*ck of yourself. 😂

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Such sad news that about Daley, he was always having a laugh with Davey Todd on Insta 😥

Also heard Derek McGee was taken to hospital after a crash so hope he's alright and recovers well

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Such sad news that about Daley, he was always having a laugh with Davey Todd on Insta 😥

Also heard Derek McGee was taken to hospital after a crash so hope he's alright and recovers well
Smashed his legs up pretty bad it seems