TT Battery Woes

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I stupidly left the lights on the TT prior to Christmas and completely discharged the battery, so I replaced it with a new one and all was fine. Cleaned the car on Christmas day and parked it out the back of the house to make room for visitors.

I've gone to start the car today and the battery is completely discharged again, can't be charged and it won't jump off another car.

Any ideas? Can't be buying new batteries every time I want to drive it!

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Faulty new battery possibly? Should be a warranty on it, I’d be bringing it back to where I bought it for a replacement.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Im in exact same boat with a car. Stuck new battery in and it lasted a day. All pointing at alternator for me.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
to be honest new battery’s are rubbish unless your driving they all the time

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
We see this so often, and people always blame the battery, and I can assure you it’s very rarely the battery at fault. Something is causing the battery to fail by some form of parasitic drain.

Take it to someone who can identify the drain like @pobmk4 betore wasting any more money on batteries.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Del has kindly offered to give it a look over. Then once its sorted, it's for sale.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
New batteries are perfectly fine asking as you are using the correct rated battery for your car AND a reliable manufacturer (I will only use 3 battery types in my workshop and not one of them is quantum)

Get a parasitic drain test done, it's the only way to properly confirm your loss of charge. You can record the mA being drawn by the faulty component and confirm the repair when it has levelled out within the specification for the vehicle. #testnotguess

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
So the battery in the car is sitting at 1 volt, the old dead battery is charging in the garage and Del is coming back when everything is ready to go.

Both were Lion from ECP.

Then it'll probably have to come to you to be repaired @pobmk4

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
So the battery in the car is sitting at 1 volt, the old dead battery is charging in the garage and Del is coming back when everything is ready to go.

Both were Lion from ECP.

Then it'll probably have to come to you to be repaired @pobmk4
Don't exaggerate Craig..... it was 1.7 volts!!!! 🤣 See you when the trickle charger/ conditioner does its stuff. I'll check the current draw at rest but happy to send it to Mr VAG to get it properly sorted if I struggle to locate it.
to be honest new battery’s are rubbish unless your driving they all the time
It's more that modern cars are far more electronicky! But sadly, designers (felt tip fairies) don't make any more room for the batteries...... we just try to be clever with power management instead.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
With TTs The alarm module in the rears are prone to corrosion and cause a battery drain Common issue on them, could be a possible issue

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I had a similar problem, replaced a battery in an A4 myself, it (Bosch) went dud fairly quickly so fought with ECP to get another one under warranty, which I fitted myself and which also also went dud. So I left it into a local garage who put a Yuasa battery in which has been fine for a couple of years. I had read somewhere that the car has to be programmed to a new battery, so I assume that's what the garage did?

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
The issue somewhat rectified itself. I think the new battery was a dud so I charged the old one and its grand now. Needs driven more tbh.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Just a thought when you say old battery is solving problems, has the TT start/stop, if so did you go like for like with an AGM battery