TT camping

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
TT is booked and I am heading from 1st of June until the 8th of June on the bike. Where is best to camp that is fairly local to amenities?. I checked the rugby club at Douglas but it’s sold out for paddock pitches which for what I gather allows you to park your bike beside your tent, this would be ideal.

If anyone has camped somewhere they would be happy to recommend, or if there are places to avoid, please let me know.

Thanks

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Can't really help with the camping but will maybe see ya over there that week Gary (y)

I stayed in the Metzeler village before but that was pre erected tents and not sure if you can bring your own? Silly Moos does get good reviews and handy for drinks in Ramsey.

Mark Brown

RMS Member
Stayed in glenlough campsite a couple of times. There you can park your bike beside your tent or like in 2017 when the weather turned and the ground went into ***** we just parked them up by the office on the hard ground like everyone else

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Camp up at Peel leisure centre, I've done it the last 2 years and it's been perfect. Especially if you are on a bike it's easy to get around. Literally you can arrive and camp or pre book. Nice, quiet and safe compared to some of the other sites i have been told about. Boy who runs it is originally from donaghadee

Peel Campsite

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Thanks Roy, how did it work with the bikes, were you able to park beside your tent?

There were 5 of us in the car. From memory cars / bikes were parked in the yard of the place beside the camping field. It’s not a big set up which was nice and meant there wasn’t a lot of ones about.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Check if the campsite will allow you to send your stuff ahead mate. Failing that, ask on the IoM TT fan page on Facebook and one of the kind islanders would let you post it to their address.

Will hopefully catch you for a beer or 5 (y)

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Yes Gavin a beer sounds great, what's your plan for your trip over. I was looking into sending the stuff over, or just travelling really light

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'll just be strapping all my gear to the back of the bike in Kriega bags mate. Haven't anything booked yet, but have a couple of homestay options that I've stayed at before, and will book ferry when they release the unwanted bookings at beginning of March.

Hopefully get good weather!

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
What sort of luggage space is everyone taking? Trying to judge what extra luggage I've to buy. I've a 30ltr rollbag, trying to decide between another 30ltr rollbag and stack them or 50ltr soft panniers.

The stacked rollbags and the universal soft panniers may not be too stable but for all the time they'll actually be on the bike it should be fine.

I've camping gear and 6 days worth of socks, boxers and t-shirts to take so the panniers may be overkill.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
What sort of luggage space is everyone taking? Trying to judge what extra luggage I've to buy. I've a 30ltr rollbag, trying to decide between another 30ltr rollbag and stack them or 50ltr soft panniers.

The stacked rollbags and the universal soft panniers may not be too stable but for all the time they'll actually be on the bike it should be fine.

I've camping gear and 6 days worth of socks, boxers and t-shirts to take so the panniers may be overkill.

Good question, its something I need to decide on too, if im taking the Fireblade I think i am going to get a rack for the back and lash down as much as I can and take it easy. If i take the supermoto, I must just fire a back pack on and slum it, or post stuff over

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Good question, its something I need to decide on too, if im taking the Fireblade I think i am going to get a rack for the back and lash down as much as I can and take it easy. If i take the supermoto, I must just fire a back pack on and slum it, or post stuff over

There is no rack available for my R6:worried: hoping whatever luggage I end up taking doesn't damage my paint work.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I bought a Hepco & Becker Sportrack for the BMW, not cheap but real handy thing. I'll be taking a Kriega US30 on that, possibly a US20 an all but that's with no camping gear as hopefully get a house to stay in.

I'm sure a tent and sleeping bag could be lashed to it an all if needed though.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
What do you make of the Kriega US30, do you rate them. I really need to get something bought or I will be strapping a 130 litre North Face expedition bag on the back.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What do you make of the Kriega US30, do you rate them. I really need to get something bought or I will be strapping a 130 litre North Face expedition bag on the back.

The Kriega stuff is brilliant mate, can actually get a lot more in the 30 than I'd thought! Usually just use the 20 for the likes of wet weather gear, shower kit etc. All real handy to clip together, plus easy to get on and off the bike.

Got all mine cheap off ebay, one of them never used and the other used once.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Home stays now sorted, can't wait for this now, just hope we get the weather!

We're staying 2 nights in Ramsey and then 2 nights in Douglas so best of both worlds and will get to see(and drink) plenty that way!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.