Tuning Shops in Northern Ireland

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd agree with some of the comments above. There's only one way to truely know you're getting a good job done and that's to do it yourself. If you can work with a spanner and read instructions, take advise from those in the know, be ready to put some time in and are prepared to study up on things then there's very little you can't do (unless you're really not mechanically minded). Nothing more satisfying that doing the work yourself either...

I really understand where you're coming from by the way, I have issues trusting my motor with a garage for even a quick oil service never mind a big job like that.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Does it have to be in n.i? If it were me I'd be talking to the likes of woodsport in England, proven track record with 3sgte conversions... what's a couple hundred extra in flights/ferry when you know your getting an experienced person to build the motor to the exact level of tune you want?

56oval

RMS Regular
theres some excellent knowledge and talent about in spannering circles, however theres also some complete doon brains about when it comes to customers.

prime example, if i were to put together the parts to build my motor from scratch i wouldnt get any change out of 4k just for the longblock.
turnkey would be another 2k on top.

so theres 6 large ones pissed out the window, one over rev on start up from cold and i can almost gaurantee itll either blow the rear main oil seal out (best case) or itll lock up and spin a bearing in its inherrent design, thus taking the crank and the case out of service.

ive seen it happen untold amount of times and guess what, the owners all go bitching about the engine builder, not their own lack of understanding of how they should treat their investment. it happens across all marques.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
you can actually buy fully assembled motors and short or long blocks from ATS in the US for less than most UK based engine builders will do.

They have a decent rep.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
you can actually buy fully assembled motors and short or long blocks from ATS in the US for less than most UK based engine builders will do.

They have a decent rep.

56oval will vouch when I say that even when everything has been done as best practice dictates. Even new engines can seize.

They then turn and declare that seizure occurred due to the start up procedure and it ends up your word against theirs. The small garage/owner always ends up screwed over.

bazza2541

RMS Regular
OP
bazza2541
Drives
Isuzu Trooper
It appears I may have touched a nerve or two with this.
There have been calls and attempts made to get me to take it down.

Apparently the great unwashed may have some power after all.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I had looked at those motors from ATS mark looked like a sweet deal TBH. I know from your experience that you murdered UK prices by bringing exactly the same parts from the US. When I done my build at momentum I supplied a lot of the parts from TB Developments and they supplied the Know how as I honestly didnt have the balls to do it myself unlike Mark C above who was a great help to me keeping me straight on parts and prices.

You will always get the the RMS rumour mill flying about when you mention where to go with your car, in my opinion you can get the references etc but at the end of the day you pays your money and you take your chance. Engine building and tuning puts you into very murky waters especially if something goes majorly wrong a few weeks or months down the line and god help you if it happens on a track or if your doing a quarter mile as then it will be your fault no questions asked :grinning: LOL

stiffs

RMS Regular
Drives
m5
Call round and see ssi, You'll not be disappointed!

yip have to agree with ya (y) call up and see Marty and Colin and have a chat with them both as they DO KNOW THERE STUFF !!!!!
or even go on there web site and have a look (y)

AaronKP30

RMS Member
Drives
2001 WRX
A couple of my experiences : -

About 20 years ago, I wanted a Toyota 4K engine tuned for everyday road use and did a lot of asking around before deciding which engine builder to use. After I fitted it, I took several trips to him and nothing he tried could get it running right. Only then did I hear from others who'd had similar problems. As I'd explained to him before the work, it was my only car so I had to keep driving it while different remedies were tried. The engine ended up holing a piston and when I stripped it, I couldn't believe how much had been skimmed from the head. Compression ratio must've been sky high. Cut my losses and stuck a standard engine back in until I could afford to transplant a larger engine in myself.

Also, my brother's first car was a 1986 Mk2 Fiesta 1.1. We bought a low milage 1989 Mk2 XR2 that had been rolled and basically wanted the mechanicals reshelled into the 1.1. Asked the local Ford dealer's mechanics if they'd do it as a homer, asked them to name their price. They said it would be too much trouble to even consider. We hired an engine crane and had it running within a weekend on the driveway at parent's house.

I have since transplanted a 4A-GE engine and gearbox into my 1975 Toyota which involved wiring an ECU which the car never had originally, custom engine and gearbox mounts, custom propshaft and custom radiator. I did as much as I could myself and knew what bits I would need to rely on others for. I bought a complete crashed AE86 Corolla, stripped the wiring loom down to individual wires until I was left with what was needed to run the engine and labelled everything. The transplant took a weekend to install and get running but about a month of preparation, drawing wiring diagrams etc. After the engine was running, it took a further couple of months sorting out niggling problems like moving battery into boot to make space for air filter, moving brake master cylinder into car for clearance, swapping the Corolla ignition switch into the steering column as it had more contacts than the original - all silly stuff that needed custom parts and took time.

If you are any way competent with a toolkit and wiring, my opinion would be research the ST205 swap, list everything you need to do the conversion and work through it, but be aware that you will probably come across a few head scratchers.

Aaron.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hard to go past jonny and Phil at Ai autosport

Just adding my name to the list (y)

...Ive said it before, because I know first hand. The owners might see it as a simple job to price and undertake timewise. They NEVER are. Ask anyone who has carried out such work....and £5k gets eaten up in no time. £10k dissappears just as fast.

Exactly (y)

I know I do not work for free, I do not expect others to if they do something for me.

A fixed price is fine as a guide, but as for using it as a weapon... Well, for myself, if there is a reasonable cause, then I will pay. Have always found that by accommodating builders/mechanics/whatever they are happier to go that extra mile.

If someone is taking the p***, well, that is different, but usually those people are not even on the candidate list.

56oval

RMS Regular
my games no different (plastering) r.e costing, i advise clients what a hack off and re plaster job will cost, but if i find any nasties or re building work is needed obviously the cost goes up, but the customer is ALWAYS made aware of this at the estimate/quote stage every time, it doesnt automatically give me licence to stick my arm in (like some do) it just means everyone knows where they stand before the job is started.
ive never had a complaint :laughing:

its a tough old business and i'd say engines/conversions are way harder and more expensive to put right when they go wrong than most plastering jobs, you could have an a1 reputation for years until one day something gives, next thing your a zero in cyberspace.:sob:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.