Turbo gone on Suzuki Grand Vitara

white sport

RMS Regular
Drives
cosmic ep3
All right folks turbo has gone my wife's Vitara, so what's my options 2nd hand, new, reconditioned ? and how much labour estimate I'm I looking at cheers

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Depends if its a 500quid roundabout or worth a few quid.

Id recommend a recondition of yours.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Depends on year and value of it. But if worth fixing prob better of reconditioning your own turbo rather than taking a gamble on a used one.

Alternatively mine is for sale, treat her :joy:
DB643DE4-3F54-4631-9F9C-5AD96EA70429.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
How much it’s going to cost to repair will depend on a few things.

What year is it? Does it have a DPF filter? What way has it “gone”?

white sport

RMS Regular
OP
white sport
Drives
cosmic ep3
2007 mk3 1.9 ddis and yes dpf, turbo is making awful sounds letting exhaust gasses out and on and off boost etc

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
renault fq9 engine iirc, so you should have a multitude of used turbos available. I would go recon if planning to keep it for a while

white sport

RMS Regular
OP
white sport
Drives
cosmic ep3
renault fq9 engine iirc, so you should have a multitude of used turbos available. I would go recon if planning to keep it for a while
So what turbo model would I be looking at then ? Maybe only keep for a year or 2 only 84k on it any1 a rough estimate in labour to replace turbo ?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
So what turbo model would I be looking at then ? Maybe only keep for a year or 2 only 84k on it any1 a rough estimate in labour to replace turbo ?

You could be looking anything from £500-1000 to be honest. As I said, there’s a lot of variables such as the extent of damage so it’s hard to call without seeing it. The reason for failure needs to be determined too or else slapping a new turbo on it could be a waste of time and fail within minutes of starting up again, and then the parts add up too (£60-100 for service parts and flush, £40/60 for turbo oil feed pipe, £20-30 for gaskets if necessary etc). If oil contamination is the reason behind the turbo failure, ideally you’d want the sump removed and cleaned too. If the turbo has passed oil into the exhaust, you’d be looking at exhaust system removal to clean, possible DPF removal or replacement depending on what you wish to do...

white sport

RMS Regular
OP
white sport
Drives
cosmic ep3
Got sorted lads she wants to keep it for a while with it being good condition and low miles etc; so new turbo fuel filter air filter oil & filter change,

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Got sorted lads she wants to keep it for a while with it being good condition and low miles etc; so new turbo fuel filter air filter oil & filter change,

Be sure to find out the reason for failure or you risk it happening again very quickly, especially if it was due to oil contamination/starvation. Was never nice telling someone that their failed turbo that they just bought/paid for a day or 2 before hand isn’t covered under warranty due to malpractice or poor fitting when they’ve had someone fit it to an engine without sufficient oil supply, clean oil or been a Grade A imbecile and used exhaust paste/jointing compound on the turbo-manifold joint to seal it instead of buying a new gasket.