Turbo refurbishment or "new" rebuilt?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
My Golf 1.8t isn't boosting and is making a whine, suspect its the turbo finally given up. Question is, rebuild/refurb of the one thats on or an off the shelf replacement?
I see The Turbo Shack rebuild them but see MCM Turbos may have a reconditioned one in stock.
Any feedback on either of the 2 places mentioned?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Use MCM/Transmission Services in work for all turbos from vans to dump trucks and never had an issue.

Rossios

RMS Regular
I got a 2nd hand K03s and got a local guy (who mostly does TDI turbos) to rebuild it with a new core and test the actuator, i've heard a few guys really recommend Turboshack!
The turbo, rebuild and gaskets/bolts from Dubtech all came to just under £400 for me

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
You'll have no bother with either, turbo shack would be my go to, if only for the fact they are decent fellas and yer man at MCM could do with a personality transplant.

Walder

RMS Regular
Another for turbo shack

When my went in the a4 rebuilt an it was a great job. Mechanic couldn't believe how well it was out together, he felt the reconditioned turbo had less play tighter fit than a new one from Audi

Very happy with it and the owner is 100%

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Any recommendations of GP Turbos?

Did a site member used to work for them? @Nicky maybe?
Yeah, I worked there for a few years.

Not sure what way they are at the minute. Been past a few times in recent months and there doesn’t look to be a lot of life about the place to be honest.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Just to clear up, got speaking to Stevie this morning at Turbo Shack, dropped him a text and he rang right back. Leaving it up to him today hopefully.