Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Don't be deflated man. If I could achieve even half of what you've done here I'd be elated with myself.

Such rapid progress and the car looks great! Few more wee things and you'll be out on the road killing tyres and making turbo chatter noises 😁 (y)

Haha yeah thanks man, I'm keeping at it throughout the weekend to try sort the fueling + spark issues!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I want to say a big thanks for @David.S for lending me his timing light. I've no idea what I'm doing with it, but hopefully the guy who did my loom+ECU can help me figure it out to get it starting!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
As said, I wouldn't sweat it at all, turning the key is only part of the process, very rarely do these things go perfectly smooth, there's always things that need tweaked and niggles to iron out.

Push on now that it cranking over :grinning: almost a runner :grinning:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Trust me, no big build is easy and they all have their problems. But you actually tend to learn more this way so its not all bad. You'll get there in the end having learnt more along the way and you should still have this running 100% for summer.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, if it wasn't for @bludgod yesterday, I'd have been completely lost. We spent a full day at it, and despite replacing the crank sensor/messing with cam sensor in various ways, we couldn't see a cam signal through the MTune software.

Both the cam and crank sensors are wired with a 5v power supply and it would nowseem that they should have a 12v power feed. That's pretty much where we're at for now. I've been advised to send a 12v power supply to the cam sensor and see if it makes any difference so i will update later with how this pans out.

My fuel pressure regulator is also a piece of 💩 so I've ordered a new Sytec one and will be fitting AN connections to the entire fuel system - the leaks yesterday were a little scary! Lol

On another note, my 2.4 turn lock-to-lock quick rack arrived yesterday as well as my new Spal fan, coolant reroute kit and a few other bits and bobs, so I've plenty to occupy myself!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
BUZZZZZZZINNNNG!!!

So the issue lay in the fact that the Cam and Crank sensors were being fed 5v from the ECU. A bit of research informed us that they're actually 12v sensors.

I cut the 5v sensor supply from the ECU and temporarily patched in a 12v feed from the battery, and it literally fired up first turn of the key!

Obviously there's a lot of tuning and refining to be done but a major milestone has been reached and motivation restored!!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
There has been practically no messing with the software as it sits in this video so I'm surprised it idles like it does, I expected it to be a lot choppier!

I slipped my silencer over the downpipe in this video and makeshift fitted my air filter - the noise is fairly reduced already! I really can't wait now to finish the rest and hear how it sounds on the road! 🚗🚗