Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
L
View attachment 239940

We just did this Westfield for a guy that he built over the past 18months and it's an absolute work of art.

I really wish I had the skill (and money 😂) to build something like this.

Jesus that really does look like a work of art!! What engine is in it?

Obviously mine will be nowhere near that in terms of refinement but I'll get it as close as possible for something hacked together in 6 months!! Lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
L

Jesus that really does look like a work of art!! What engine is in it?

Obviously mine will be nowhere near that in terms of refinement but I'll get it as close as possible for something hacked together in 6 months!! Lol

It's a ford ecoboost. He had done lots of bespoke bits everywhere and the fit and finish of it was spectacular.

I was showing him your thread actually because it's impressive what you have achieved in such a short time, especially as your learning on the fly with some stuff. Keep up the good work

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It's a ford ecoboost. He had done lots of bespoke bits everywhere and the fit and finish of it was spectacular.

I was showing him your thread actually because it's impressive what you have achieved in such a short time, especially as your learning on the fly with some stuff. Keep up the good work

Ah thanks mate, I appreciate that. Im doing my best and trying to use good bits and pieces as opposed to the sh*te that many throw their 'locosts' together with. Those Westfields/Caterhams are on another level altogether though!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Jonny Five is Alive!! :heart_eyes:(y) Great to see her running Kev, before you know it you’ll be passing me down the back straight. Keep at it, you are nearly there!!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Jonny Five is Alive!! :heart_eyes:(y) Great to see her running Kev, before you know it you’ll be passing me down the back straight. Keep at it, you are nearly there!!

Haha!! Not sure about that Rob but I'll do my best to get it finished ASAP! A couple of long nights and maybe a long weekend will see it in a position to be mapped/geo setup. From there, I'll be able to take it out and test etc....will worry about IVA after!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I should be able to make progress on sorting a few of my fuel leak/fuel pressure issues today - still waiting on the narrower braided fuel line arriving though so I won't be able to finish it today.

bVPGf4n.jpg

I also got this for my fuel rail - it's a 'quick connect' AN fuel rail adapter......A 'push-on' type thing. Apparently they're decent but I've never used one before. Has anyone any experience of these?

Vfc1en7.jpg

hk9BI97.jpg

Neil_M

RMS Regular
@slickcell I've used the quick disconnect fittings on the Civic (see My 2003 Civic Type R EP3). No complaints at all.

Though the ones I used do have a threaded lock collar to provide some additional security.

It's a quick and easy way to adapt the "EFI fittings" to AN lines

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
@slickcell I've used the quick disconnect fittings on the Civic. No complaints at all.

Though the ones I used do have a threaded lock collar to provide some additional security.

It's a quick and easy way to adapt the "EFI fittings" to AN lines

Thanks mate. I've heard they work well but wasn't sure as I'd never even heard of them.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Thanks mate. I've heard they work well but wasn't sure as I'd never even heard of them.

No worries man, just done a quick edit to the reply, adding a link to my fittings post if useful.

I've been to two track days using them, so all seems good.

I will be remaking the lines though, so much for "ready made kits".

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
No worries man, just done a quick edit to the reply, adding a link to my fittings post if useful.

I've been to two track days using them, so all seems good.

I will be remaking the lines though, so much for "ready made kits".

haha yeah man, nothing is every 'ready-made'!!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So here's an update with my full set of Compomotive ML1390s fitted. Fronts are 8 x 13 (ET -12), Rears are 9 x 13 (ET -24).

Front track width = 5ft9
Rear track width = 5ft8.5

LOL - it's certainly wide, possibly too wide? I don't know but we will see how it handles! The front arches definitely need sorted!

LGlu8sf.jpg

C3W3Enu.jpg

eLk7QGo.jpg

Excuse my leaky sump - I am in the process of removing it! Once I do, I will drop the car onto the floor for a proper pic

Gaz86

RMS Regular
What oil pump are you planning on using on yours if you're chasing 300BHP? From what I've read the OEM pumps are sintered steel and tend to shatter around 250WHP :confounded: Not what you want really. I've been looking at a high flow boundary pump, pricey enough but worth it as insurance your engine won't go bang.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
What oil pump are you planning on using on yours if you're chasing 300BHP? From what I've read the OEM pumps are sintered steel and tend to shatter around 250WHP :confounded: Not what you want really. I've been looking at a high flow boundary pump, pricey enough but worth it as insurance your engine won't go bang.

Yeah mate, I'll be building the spare engine with a boundary pump. £400 or so but if it needs it, it needs it! 💔

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So I got the sump off today and away for repair, along with my exhaust pieces to finish that finally. In the meantime, I spent a bit of time on a job I have been looking forward to for so long - the dash display! This has got to be one of, if not the most rewarding jobs done to date - placing the savage switches, koso digital dash and my GReddy/AEM gauges.

u7RiupS.jpg

4DUzSWI.jpg

P1Pt1kZ.jpg

I then rolled it out into the driveway for a bit of fresh air! :laughing:

V1xCgZ6.jpg

sEsj51z.jpg

I absolutely love this 'everything hanging everywhere' look.....

pCmzbm3.jpg

u3oqJvD.jpg

rzAnXn6.jpg

That's it for now - back at the weekend to finish the fuel system/exhaust, refit the sump and get the thing running again!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I think this thing is awesome. Really fancy doing one as a project sometime. High compression K24 VTEC engine perhaps.

I toyed with an F20C engine from an S2000 but I believe they're a difficult fit, especially in a very narrow locost. I was also put off my the expense but in hindsight, this turbo mx5 VVT engine has cost me way more lol.

Revvy VTEC would be nice in them for sure - my next project could be a K20 elise! Saw one at kirkistown the other week and my brain has been working overtime lol

I'll get this finished first though lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I toyed with an F20C engine from an S2000 but I believe they're a difficult fit, especially in a very narrow locost. I was also put off my the expense but in hindsight, this turbo mx5 VVT engine has cost me way more lol.

Revvy VTEC would be nice in them for sure - my next project could be a K20 elise! Saw one at kirkistown the other week and my brain has been working overtime lol

I'll get this finished first though lol

I was about to suggest the S2000 Westfield to Ian...

I have one of them on my bucket list to build. What makes them a difficult fit, is it just space?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I was about to suggest the S2000 Westfield to Ian...

I have one of them on my bucket list to build. What makes them a difficult fit, is it just space?

Yeah spacing in my chassis - remember my chassis is a locost which is miniscule in the engine area. A larger Haynes roadster for example, you've a good bit more width and height for the engine. The likes of an MK Indy, while it is practically identical in terms of engine and cockpit width, its about 40mm taller which means you can fit taller engines in without really compromising the sump clearance.

I picked the best fit engine for what I wanted to do, shortened the sump and properly squeezed the engine under the bonnet. With that, I'm left with 80mm sump clearance.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not sure about that font track too be honest, looks far too wide. Turn-in might suffer a bit. If it works, happy days, just think it might mess up the steering geometry...

Look no further, lol 😇 ;)

avsd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes/C350Est
That looks like a mean machine. I assume it will be "drive it like you stole it" going forward. Health and dry weather to enjoy.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not sure about that font track too be honest, looks far too wide. Turn-in might suffer a bit. If it works, happy days, just think it might mess up the steering geometry...

Look no further, lol 😇 ;)

I know, I guess we will see! I will obviously change the wheels if it does affect the handling. However, I'll enjoy how it looks for now lol

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
That looks like a mean machine. I assume it will be "drive it like you stole it" going forward. Health and dry weather to enjoy.

Absolutely driven like it has been stolen - well, after I know its not going to fall apart! Lol