Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Front track is ideal, you want front wider than the rear or Square at the very Least.

Your Rear is also very wide, full 52" atlas with 9" wheels with a neg. offset.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
As I finish for tonight, I am just appreciating how hard this is looking now!
kaQVZvn.jpg

Today I got all of my fuel lines replaced and AN fittings sorted. Braided lines are brutal to work with, my fingers are in bits! I should now however, have no fuel leaks! I upgraded the low pressure pump while I was at it for a Facet cube pump (I wasn't convinced with the eBay rep version I had before)

UQHvoW2.jpg

nGdEcPY.jpg

Also fitted a new Sytec adjustable fuel pressure regulator

obey0gY.jpg

Unfortunately I am being dragged to George Ezra tomorrow so I won't get working on the car but I will be back Sunday + Monday with hopefully some nice progress pics......or maybe even a vid :p

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great work! Got a go in a K20 powered Westfield today. Wow, what an experience!

Oooohh really?! Class, I am sure it sounded unreal! I'll give you a run in this when it's done and you can tell me how they compare!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It felt crazy fast, I can't imagine how insane yours will feel with boost and another 60hp 😂 but the experience was so visceral sitting so open and low to the ground. Your a lucky man, these really are the ultimate toy

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It felt crazy fast, I can't imagine how insane yours will feel with boost and another 60hp 😂 but the experience was so visceral sitting so open and low to the ground. Your a lucky man, these really are the ultimate toy

Haha well I've been completely spoiled in a sense that the only two 7s I've sat in before were Mike's 620s and Rob's Megabusa, both of which were very rapid. I couldn't have anything less than 250bhp after sitting in those two animals lol.

Honestly though, if I can build one of these, anyone can! Before this, I'd barely touched a car. I've done a bit of spanner spinning on old scramblers and quads etc but that's it. The one thing I'd recommend for anyone considering one is to buy one built and road legal, then add to/change bits it as you desire. This fresh build has been a ball ache and has cost three times what id anticipated lol.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Unreal build this and hats off to you for tackling it from the ground up. Where did you buy your wrap from out of interest? I'm considering doing my full car in Nardo grey but going to buy small rolls to try it first

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Unreal build this and hats off to you for tackling it from the ground up. Where did you buy your wrap from out of interest? I'm considering doing my full car in Nardo grey but going to buy small rolls to try it first

Thanks mate. I got my wrap from ebay just. Its not bad to be fair.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not great news today - made a bit of progress going back over old jobs.... Refitting my sump, bleeding brakes etc. Finally got all forms of leaks sorted - Fuel, oil, brake fluid etc

Then, as I was switching over the cam sensor plug wires (they hadn't been wired correctly when I got my loom back), I didn't realise the ignition had been left on and touched two of the cam wires together - shorted the wires and fried the ECU. I unplugged the ECU and there were scorch marks on the inside so I can only assume its rubber-ducked.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So yep - ECU has been pronounced dead by the Doctor. NIGHTMARE! Question now is whether I should pay £1200 to upgrade to the MaxxECU Race and have my wiring loom/plug repinned to suit or another £500 to replace like-for-like.

Anyway, big shout out and huge thanks to @PeteMoore for sorting my exhaust today - this is certainly going to melt my wheel arch (once I have an ECU to start the car) but at least it will be fun :p

qKVZ79U.jpg

08RfMDA.jpg

GsN2Kic.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Definitely get a like for like ecu, nothing more expensive, you'll go through a couple more before you're done 😇 :innocent:

Surprised that wasn't repairable without replacing the whole ecu to be honest, not like shorting wires is unheard of... Bad luck that, expensive lesson.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
So yep - ECU has been pronounced dead by the Doctor. NIGHTMARE! Question now is whether I should pay £1200 to upgrade to the MaxxECU Race and have my wiring loom/plug repinned to suit or another £500 to replace like-for-like.

Anyway, big shout out and huge thanks to @PeteMoore for sorting my exhaust today - this is certainly going to melt my wheel arch (once I have an ECU to start the car) but at least it will be fun :p

qKVZ79U.jpg

08RfMDA.jpg

GsN2Kic.jpg
Looks really good man, **** about the ECU but these things happen.

But I'd lengthen that silencer outlet to level with the back wheel or your carbon vinyl wrap with go up in smoke and the end might be worse than the ECU

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Definitely get a like for like, nothing more expensive, you'll go through a couple more before you're done 😇 :innocent:

Surprised that wasn't repairable without replacing the whole ecu to be honest, not like shorting wires is unheard of... Bad luck that, expensive lesson.

Yep, expensive lesson but don't think I'll be going through any more! Lol.

I've ordered the replacement ECU already. I went like for like. I will upgrade over the winter but just want to get this build across the line for now.

P.S. MaxxECU themselves said it was irreparable because they're 'too small inside'....bit of an odd remark as surely they built them but whatever, I wasn't prepared to argue with him