Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Looks really good man, **** about the ECU but these things happen.

But I'd lengthen that silencer outlet to level with the back wheel or your carbon vinyl wrap with go up in smoke and the end might be worse than the ECU

I'm going to get a steel plate for the arches. Sh*te for sure about The ECU but I'm more annoyed about having to wait over another week to get it going. The car is ready to go otherwise as well, so frustrating!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Still waiting on my new ECU arriving so unfortunately, no sideways action just yet! I did make a start on the nosecone today though - these cars were designed for tiny little engines. So, fitting a big engine with a big turbo and all that goes with it was never going to be easy. In light of this, I wanted it to be functional so when it came to the intercooler pipes, I wasn't willing to reduce the pipe diameter or deform it simply to fit it down under the nosecone.

Therefore, I ended up having to cut two holes in the nosecone to allow the intercooler pipes to protrude - bit of dremel action and this is the result:

VchKVTS.jpg

It's not completely finished but it is close. The holes aren't symmetrical, obviously because the pipes aren't but it's a kit car after all! It's a case of function over form and it doesn't look as sh*t as I thought it would. There is an awful lot squeezed under the bonnet/nosecone of this little car at this stage! lol

Also, thanks to @PeteMoore, I have been able to fit my Turbosmart blow off valve. I am DYING to get this thing started again and hear the WOOOOOSHHH!! Even if it is a bit chavvy, I don't care!

Pete also worked his magic on the gearstick as it was just a smidge too far when in the driving position - this brings it back a couple of inches and now it feels great!

1xYQM7D.jpg

DavyC

RMS Regular
They'll look super, exposed like that. And naked alloy intercooler pipes exposed to fresh air will only emphasize the purpose! Lol.
Hope this new ECU is through the door in tomorrow's post so we can get more updates.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So we got the bulk of the wiring sorted today:

- Headlights wired, despite the brackets not actually fitted yet
- Switches + dimming looms all working as they should but not yet connected to turn on the relevant light yet)
- Radiator fan fitted and wired
- Digital dash wired - power in and coming on with ignition etc but fuel level/RPM/speed functionality not sorted yet
- Wideband guage wired + sensors connected up
- Boost/Oil Pressure/Water temp gauges wired (oil pressure and water temp sensors not connected yet)

Still to sort:
- Fit headlight brackets
- Sort each switch to power appropriate part of the lights (high-low beams/indicators etc)
- Mount the on-off-on indicator toggle switch
- Fit horn
- Mount tail lights
- Fit isolator switch somewhere

For now though, here's a video (the camera doesn't pick up the digital dash screen very well but its perfectly visible in person)

cYhbcmj.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Excellent :cool:

For a second there it sounded like it was cranking and the engine was about to fire up, lol :innocent: