Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Excellent :cool:

For a second there it sounded like it was cranking and the engine was about to fire up, lol :innocent:

It does that already - lol. I drove it out of the garage and reversed it back in. Cant do much more than that though as it needs mapped ASAP.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Ohhhhh yesssssss........ 😍

That must feel good!!

Haha, yeah I am very happy with myself today! lol. I'd be putting off breaking out the welder again and fab'n up the headlight brackets for ages. So, I did so today and I have to be honest - these headlights are the most pleasing job done to date!

No apologies made for multiple pictures of the same thing.....enjoy!

Suv6rkj.jpg

tTs9Oor.jpg

E3Qom7A.jpg

h44ndLL.jpg

N9L6fvU.jpg

fHtq2tZ.jpg

Lee

RMS Regular
That looks so much like a pair of eyes! Seriously cool. I think the bulging intercooler pipes look good.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
She is looking slick!! Love the headlights, they suit her well. And can vouch they are actually good at night too. You are so close now man! Get her out to the Ring with us next month haha

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
She is looking slick!! Love the headlights, they suit her well. And can vouch they are actually good at night too. You are so close now man! Get her out to the Ring with us next month haha

Yeah man, I love the headlights - best mod to date! I’m going to make the 18th august at Kirkistown.....not quite sure she’d make it a lap around the ring just yet! Lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
629C3D32-3DF6-4AEE-B5E1-1122BDCCE907.jpeg
E011B6A0-18BC-4D7F-987B-43C47E1E7BD9.jpeg

So I changed her clothing today for full MK Indy bodywork in black gelcoat and it looks SOOO much cleaner in my opinion! Will probably keep it black now and swerve the grey!

The bodywork is mostly just set on in the photos above but it’s already a much neater fit than the previous set!

I’m currently plagued with fuel/idling issues - for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be maintaining fuel pressure so I’ve still not got it running right. I’ll probably just finish the bodywork once and for all tomorrow then leave the car to someone to put it right mechanically. If anyone wants to sort it for me, or can recommend someone who knows their stuff, then please shout!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Can someone help me with this? I replaced the old crappy Chinese FPR with a Sytec one as well as all new AN-6 fuel lines and fittings to ensure no fuel leaks.

Since fitting the above, I have no fuel leaks but can’t seem to maintain pressure in the lines. When ignition is switched on, fuel pressure builds but before I’ve even had the chance to crank it, fuel pressure begins to drop and falls completely to nothing. Can anyone tell me what the possibilities are here?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Is the pump defo pumping after the initial surge?

It didn’t seem to be but I’ve since put that down to a failing battery/alternator.

A couple of issues I’ve identified today anyway...The alternator isn’t charging the battery so after a couple of cranks and it’s already starting to drop below useable levels.

The car became very difficult to start as it didn’t seem to fire at all after a while, so I removed the spark plugs.....
7D04E3E6-E942-446C-A039-FF19E3C0FDDA.jpeg

As you can see, completely BLACK, despite being brand new for this build. I cleaned, refitted and the car started instantly but wideband was reading 10 at idle - far too rich as I am told.

I am therefore, now in pursuit of a MK1 MX5 alternator as I am told these are ‘non-PWM signal alternators’ (whatever that means). Once I can get the alternator to correctly charge the battery, I can rule out voltage being the problem and hopefully then, the mapper can adjust the AFRs etc.

Oh and to add insult to injury, my radiator has a couple of lovely holes in it now so I’ve had to splash the cash on another new one - YOLO!

BEC52075-9354-4D09-A749-DFADF020DBF7.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
The aftermarket FPRs don't often hold pressure with the pump off.

Does your pump do a 3 second prime when you first turn on the ignition? Most setups will not run the pump after the initial prime so if it stops after the prime if the engine isn't running this is normal

10:1 AFR is very very rich for idle, thats below 0.70 lambda, even at WOT, High rpm and 1.6 bar of boost I only get a rich as 0.780. Thats definitely why your plugs are fowled. Be careful you are not getting bore wash.

Its looking good, I actually like the exposed intercooler piping.

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The aftermarket FPRs don't often hold pressure with the pump off.

Does your pump do a 3 second prime when you first turn on the ignition? Most setups will not run the pump after the initial prime so if it stops after the prime if the engine isn't running this is normal

10:1 AFR is very very rich for idle, thats below 0.70 lambda, even at WOT, High rpm and 1.6 bar of boost I only get a rich as 0.780. Thats definitely why your plugs are fowled. Be careful you are not getting bore wash.

Its looking good, I actually like the exposed intercooler piping.

Yeah, it does a 3 second prime when the ignition is on - I wasn't aware that it wouldn't normally hold pressure after the initial prime so this is good to know! I agree, it is running very rich but until I get a MK1 'non pulse width modulation' alternator, I cannot keep the battery voltage steady to ensure proper feed to the pumps. I've ordered a MK1 alternator and it should be here Wednesday/Thursday, as well as a new radiator.

I guess it will be next weekend before anymore progress can be made :broken_heart: