Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
@slickcell People always over estimate what they can achieve in the short-term and under estimate what they deliver in the medium term. To have this car build and working within a year is a massive achievement (y)

Thanks mate. I'm a forever optimist - I will get it out within the next couple of weeks for sure lol. Once the fuel pressure issue is sorted (I am hoping it's battery-related) and it's mapped, the total build time should have come in at about 7 months.

I am determined not to waste anymore of this summer on the build, I want to get out and enjoy it!

pablo

RMS Moderator
everything should still run at 12v (vs 14v) though shouldnt it? As long as the battery had a good charge

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
everything should still run at 12v (vs 14v) though shouldnt it? As long as the battery had a good charge

Yeah but without the alternator charging it, it drops voltage in no time at all. Is that normal?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Dont forget your also running one of those little race batteries too. So with you cranking away at it I think the voltage would drop off quick enough.

Yes, as soon as I crank it with the MTune software and ECU plugged in.....I can see the battery voltage dropping rapidly to 10-11. Despite constantly fitting fresh plugs, the second or third starts become more difficult as it's running so rich. Then, with the alternator not charging the battery, it's a vicious circle! New MK1 alternator, a new rad and a four day weekend - I hope to have it fixed by Sunday! lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
was thinking you were maybe using a jumper pack - if its a wee battery and you are charging it up each time then it will get hammered alright

can you wire up a big derv battery or something just for the test phase?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
was thinking you were maybe using a jumper pack - if its a wee battery and you are charging it up each time then it will get hammered alright

can you wire up a big derv battery or something just for the test phase?

Yeah man I need to get myself a jump pack! I will try pick one up tomorrow.

JDMMX5

RMS Member
Just finnished reading through the thread (awesome build i must say), but i was a bit confused as to what chassis this was as you mentoined it wasn't a haynes roadster.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
It’s a Locost based (Ron Champion) chassis, pretty sure he covers that in the first few posts!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Did you have the battery connected when you were doing the welding? It's easy to burn out the charging control in the original ECU and alternator by feeding current through the chassis earth. I burned out my alternator and ECU charging circuit by accidentally touching the live starter lead on the subframe of my mx5.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Armagh, they are just back from Santa Pod, after dynoing my mates beetle a few weeks ago, it made 440 bhp and the first aircooled to run a 10 second pass in Ireland.

Thats 4 race cars Mark has mapped on the Maxx ecu platform now and all running pb's.

@Neil@rockvale has not long come off the rollers making 300bhp on the nitrous tune. I'm sure Neil will chime in.
Just finnished reading through the thread (awesome build i must say), but i was a bit confused as to what chassis this was as you mentoined it wasn't a haynes roadster.
It’s a Locost based (Ron Champion) chassis, pretty sure he covers that in the first few posts!
I thought it was a Formula 27 ^o)
Hmm now you could be right... 💡

Lol.....it’s all of the above!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Did you have the battery connected when you were doing the welding? It's easy to burn out the charging control in the original ECU and alternator by feeding current through the chassis earth. I burned out my alternator and ECU charging circuit by accidentally touching the live starter lead on the subframe of my mx5.

No, it’s simply to do with the original MK2.5 alternator being a PWM type - because I’ve had a custom loom made and aftermarket ECU, it doesn’t instruct the alternator to charge the battery how it’s supposed to. It’s a common thing I’ve read on the forums lately, but I’ve been led to believe that it’s easily fixed by swapping out for a MK1 (non-PWM type alternator)

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
Wee in car from the Limerick Motor Club Hillclimb/Sprint from the weekend.Very fast course.Weather was patchy and any rain left it very slippy but got 3 dry runs yesterday ending up 5th overall.Car was bottoming out in places especially on the left hander at 25 secs but the rest was fine. I don't know what speed flat in 6th is under the trees but she was at it on a couple of occasions!.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
that little thing can boogy!! proper quick in a lot of places lol!! fair play!!!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
(y)
good length of a hill that. a flatshifter (with blip for downshifting) would be smoother for the old box on the way down, although the Busa boxes are a fair bit stronger than the old blades etc.

car is booging on well

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Wee in car from the Limerick Motor Club Hillclimb/Sprint from the weekend.Very fast course.Weather was patchy and any rain left it very slippy but got 3 dry runs yesterday ending up 5th overall.Car was bottoming out in places especially on the left hander at 25 secs but the rest was fine. I don't know what speed flat in 6th is under the trees but she was at it on a couple of occasions!.

That’s unreal! Looks like brilliant craic. P.S. stop making me jealous since mine is still a hicost ornament lol

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late

not gonna lie...... that looks scary as fook. my heart was in my mouth for more than half of that!