Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yes exactly! I might just stick it out the side and forget about it. Locost Turbo on youtube has a HKS mushroom filter mounted out the side and his looks spot on. The mushroom filters have less depth and it therefore doesn't protrude as much as my Ramair one would. I will see if I can find a pic of his....

@PaulYDP - doesn't look too bad to be fair! Mine would look sh*te mounted like this though because it's so deep!

Doesn't look so bad actually! Mine had an HKS Mushroom filter on it but it needs replaced (it was also almost directly behind the radiator). I might opt for a new one and out the side then!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Doesn't look so bad actually! Mine had an HKS Mushroom filter on it but it needs replaced (it was also almost directly behind the radiator). I might opt for a new one and out the side then!

Yes, I think I really need to do the same! There is practically no room anywhere else. Since I did the coolant reroute, there is a lot of room at the front of the engine but the issue is, there is no space to bring some pipework from the turbo around to that area. Out the side is looking like the only solution!
Still not finished?! Slowest build ever! :p

Haha! I know ffs!! Forgive me please....

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's a race car, just do what you have to do. Function first, looks second.

Not sure I'd want a foam filter hanging out unprotected in the rain, etc.? Something like a small ITG airbox could be fitted almost anywhere under the bonnet, with a cold air feed hose.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It's a race car, just do what you have to do. Function first, looks second.

Not sure I'd want a foam filter hanging out unprotected in the rain, etc.? Something like a small ITG airbox could be fitted almost anywhere under the bonnet, with a cold air feed hose.

Yes I was thinking about a cold air feed. I'm not sure what to do but I wouldn't ultimately care if it was hanging out the side, sucking in completely cold air. I used to coat my motocross air filters in a slimy stuff that prevented any impurities or water from penetrating it. I am sure there is something similar available for car filters - in the unlikely scenario where I'd get caught in the rain (I don't intend on doing many wet miles)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, have some of that stuff for the ITG filter on the Hondus. It's a right old mess, I only did it once before first installing it, horrible stuff 😅 Although Jonny says he's cleaned it since when servicing the car so maybe he has kept it topped up. Doubt it though, that filter is sitting in an ITG airbox and the car isn't driven in deserts, etc. He's probably just washed it out 😁

I think you need something like that if it is sitting exposed outside though. It's messy and horrible but does work!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yes, have some of that stuff for the ITG filter on the Hondus. It's a right old mess, I only did it once before first installing it, horrible stuff 😅 Although Jonny says he's cleaned it since when servicing the car so maybe he has kept it topped up. Doubt it though, that filter is sitting in an ITG airbox and the car isn't driven in deserts, etc. He's probably just washed it out 😁

I think you need something like that if it is sitting exposed outside though. It's messy and horrible but does work!

Yeah I think it will do the trick for the very odd occasion that I do get caught in the rain.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Build is coming along great, keep up the good work. In regards to the filter oil, I use this stuff on my motocross bikes and I have never had an issue in much tougher conditions, although the filter would be more protected on the bike.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, aside from the rear panel and arches still needing fitted, I got the car pretty much finished and ready to be mapped.

The new radiator is a thicker, 55mm core which meant that it and the intercooler sat further forward. This required the nosecone to be fettled more to fit and I also needed to take a section out of the bottom of it so that the intercooler could protrude. I fitted the carbon NACA duct too which is now directing air straight to the oil cooler beneath. I made up a grill as well which does't hide the intercooler at all - I wonder if I should paint the cooler black?

I got all of my plumbing and pipework sorted, the fuel lines finally secured along the transmission tunnel and everything back together at last!

I also did the dashboard for the THIRD time! Since I changed to MK Indy bodywork, the previous dash just didn't look right so I ordered another MK Indy one in carbon and fitted it today. It is now so much cleaner.

cqQtGDm.jpg

The bonnet is only set on in the pictures below so please excuse the gaping holes - these will disappear when tightened down with the bonnet fasteners.

ddteAyZ.jpg

YRIOsx4.jpg

WdKxAPI.jpg

I am awaiting arrival of some carbon fibre CSR wings, at which point I will fit to my new wingstays and replace the ones pictured. I also need to get under the scuttle at some point and tidy the wiring there but I am procrastinating over this as I hate wiring.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So the car is now ready for mapping albeit a small issue with the fuel pressure regulator. This was a new and relatively expensive Sytec one to replace the first Chinese rubbish I had!

The car is idling fine so obviously has some sort of fuel pressure but the gauge is hit and miss as to whether it actually reads anything. I managed to catch a video below where it is reading pressure but whether I screw the adjuster fully in or out, you can see that the pressure doesn't change!

Any ideas?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I'm being irresponsible....excused me, I'm just excited 😂

(No handbrake fitted yet so some dodgy clutch-work lol)

Finally moving under its own steam - Fuel pressure issues sorted, oil leaks sorted, plumbing all finally in order. It still needs mapped, bodywork fitting properly and needs all of electrics tidying etc but it's not far!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So that's why the sun has disappeared and the rain has started :joy: Congratulations on getting things sorts. Can you take a quick look at Brexit now?

Haha, yeah that must be why - my luck! Thanks though!

avsd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes/C350Est
Well done I am delighted for you but now there is a bl***y hurricane coming :joy::joy::joy:. Have you any more work to do on that dream machine

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Well done I am delighted for you but now there is a bl***y hurricane coming :joy::joy::joy:. Have you any more work to do on that dream machine

Haha thanks man. Not much work to do - I want to tidy the wiring under the dash and do a few little footery things but it's pretty much ready for mapping.

Oh.... I've ordered a Quaife LSD so I want that fitting ASAP obviously. Just need to find someone to do it 🙄