Turning A Car Into A Pickup?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

twowheels

Drives
Suzuki SV650S
Hi there not sure if this is the right section but move if needs be! I've decided I want to turn my car into a pickup and was wondering what way this would work for mot, insurance and any other sort of laws?? I thought myself it might have to go through the same sort of test as a kitcar but thought I'd ask for a second opinion! Any thoughts??

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
What car is it?

Btw, it's an utter pain in the balls although a guy on edition38 is doing great things with a mk4 golf estate.

twowheels

OP
twowheels
Drives
Suzuki SV650S
It's a b4 passat estate

I thought the best way to approach it would be to weld the rear doors up, then where the floor of the pickup would be create a square of box steel welded down the strengthening beams between the b pillar and a half semi circle to support the cab! I'm in two minds wether to just have the front seats or do it from the back seats! I know it will be a lot of work haha what way does it work insurance wise?

w.reid306

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo / SV650s
i did it to a 306 once...

DSC00483.jpg

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I photoshopped this exact thing a while back, no idea where the photoshop image has gone though

Was for a B4 passat estate too.

DO IT

Here's a B5
b5pickup800x550xq3.jpg

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I turned our Ibiza into a pickup once.

164812_183681168333465_100000747493678_458256_2638062_n.jpg

I have no idea about laws etc though lol Ours was used for the forest snow stage! haha

deevtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic 1.8 VTi (m
i was considering doing this to my project civic mb also was thinking off going all out an making it rear engine rwd but then i wised up lol

Shaun

RMS Regular
I turned our Ibiza into a pickup once.

164812_183681168333465_100000747493678_458256_2638062_n.jpg

I have no idea about laws etc though lol Ours was used for the forest snow stage! haha

As you can see from the professional job wee done we are the men for your job. Cheap and will be finished within a couple of hours :p

twowheels

OP
twowheels
Drives
Suzuki SV650S
I'm going to phone the dva today find out what way it will work for licencing etc then Il enquire to the insurance company...see how that goes before I get the angle grinder out ;)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Cutting chunks of your roof out, which is a major structural part incase you didn't know, will most likley result in people laughing down the phone at you.

twowheels

OP
twowheels
Drives
Suzuki SV650S
No don't get me wrong I'm not literally going to take the roof off then leave it at that and expect it to be safe!! There will be a lot of structural work going into it before it even sees the road!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.