TVR Griffith 500

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Lovely :heart_eyes: welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to some videos!

Has anyone ever ceramic coated the exhausts? or even heat wrapped them? id imagine that could help lower engine bay temps a lot! Id imagine a lot more heat shielding around the air intake would be of benefit too?

Reactions: AKU

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
That is a lovely Trevor. Welcome to RMS and we thank you for calling us generally awesome!

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
Fantastic, no need for a radio with that soundtrack!
The stereo is long gone - couldn't hear it and didn't want to!
I was lucky enough to get a run in the car last week and it really is something very special, the acceleration and handling is fantastic, but the noise, and smell is just something that has to be experienced, words can't describe it. There is something very raw and exciting about this type of car. I would honestly pick it over a modern sports car any day of the week. Cheers for the run @AKU and welcome to the forum.
Cheers Gary, if you have a video of some acceleration could you fire it onto a post?
Always liked those cars...and so much room for a big turbo or two up front !
I was looking at supercharging it a while ago, but it's a lot of money and quite frankly it's quick enough for me already!

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
Thanks for all the replies guys (and girls? Hard to tell with the usernames). I'll try and get a video or two sorted out. It's trapped behind my Volvo 240 at the minute which I have the head out of to do valve seals, but I'll start him up so he can clear his throat a bit.
Lovely :heart_eyes: welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to some videos!

Has anyone ever ceramic coated the exhausts? or even heat wrapped them? id imagine that could help lower engine bay temps a lot! Id imagine a lot more heat shielding around the air intake would be of benefit too?

Ceramic coating is megabucks but I do have some heat wrap that I'm going to put on over the winter. The heat that comes out of the engine bay after a run is ferocious, take your bloody eyebrows off!

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
This wee video I kept going back to before I bought my precat, I had the act manifold and y piece on mine too, it was actually a bit louder than 500 in thisvideo! Still miss it

Ah yes, the old 'Spitfire at low level' sound track. I know it's through a little condenser mic on the camera, but it doesn't sound quite as raw as mine. Got the itch to go and drive now!

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
So, it took a while, but here's the noise vid as requested. This also represents my first Youtube upload! Anyway, it sounds like feck all out of a phone speaker, but if you bluetooth it out to something with some guts you'll get the idea, just minus the vibrating ribcage and fuel rich exhaust fumes.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That sounds class, would love to hear it in the flesh at some point!

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
So, it took a while, but here's the noise vid as requested. This also represents my first Youtube upload! Anyway, it sounds like feck all out of a phone speaker, but if you bluetooth it out to something with some guts you'll get the idea, just minus the vibrating ribcage and fuel rich exhaust fumes.

As amazing as that clip sounds it certainly doesn't do it justice, you need to be standing behind it to fully appreciate and experience it. What a car.

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
Sounds awesome!

Is that the power steering pump I hear? Makes it sound supercharged 😃

No power steering! One of the main reasons I bought it was there are no driver assists - no power steering, no ABS, no fancy diffs, no traction control and no stability control. If you make a mistake it doesn't quietly sweep it under an ECU rug, it lets you know. Admittedly it does this by sometimes trying to kill you, but the point is that I learn from my mistakes and hopefully improve as a driver instead of being flattered by some impressive electronics.

It does sound supercharged, doesn't it?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
No power steering! One of the main reasons I bought it was there are no driver assists - no power steering, no ABS, no fancy diffs, no traction control and no stability control. If you make a mistake it doesn't quietly sweep it under an ECU rug, it lets you know. Admittedly it does this by sometimes trying to kill you, but the point is that I learn from my mistakes and hopefully improve as a driver instead of being flattered by some impressive electronics.

It does sound supercharged, doesn't it?

My mx5 has none of those things except the ps lol, but it also doesn't have power. I still have to remember with hard braking, as I have locked the rear wheels before with aggressive downshifts on occasion.

Yeah there is a definite whiring as it settled back to idle

AKU

RMS Regular
OP
AKU
Drives
TVR
My mx5 has none of those things except the ps lol, but it also doesn't have power. I still have to remember with hard braking, as I have locked the rear wheels before with aggressive downshifts on occasion.

Yeah there is a definite whiring as it settled back to idle

I had the same problem a couple of times, happily it was at Kirkstown circuit, where it spat me off onto the runoff of Colonial 1 when I didn't get the heel toe right and locked the rears, it was like pulling the handbrake! I had gone down soon after getting the car to get an idea of how it behaved when you provoked it, which on the old tyres and suspension turned out to be pretty much the definition of 'unforgiving'. It's a lot better now, but you still need to be awake if you're pushing on.

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
That sounds amazing. I have a soft spot for TVR's, I remember my cousin taking me out in his Cerbera when I was a lot younger - I believe it had the Red Rose V8 in it. Awesome cars.

Hopefully will see/hear you at some RMS meets (y)