Tyre company over tightened wheel nuts, can't get the wheel off.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That's what we used earlier, It was one of the smaller 700nm milwaukee's ones though, not the 1800nm jobbie. I thought the 6ft breaker bar and someone tapping the socket with a hammer would have done it. I've no idea what the hell they used to tighten them. I'll call the place in the morning, if we can't come up with a solution I may have to take you up on that Fred.

Problem is partly over tightening, then the same fools also not greasing the nuts at the same time, for some misguided reasons I've yet to fathom.

Even wheels tightened up sensibly, with a little time/corrosion can stick bloody tight.

But if someone is standing on a 6ft bar...that's huge torque. Don't think I've ever come across any that tight, and you'd be wanting a good quality impact socket to reduce any chance or ringing the nut head off, otherwise it will be a George job.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
If your still stuck tomorrow drop me a PM, I’m pretty sure we have a compressor in our breakdown van so should beable to get a good ugga dugga gun to get it aff.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’d have been ringing the tyre place before even thinking about posting on here.

It’s their issue if they were the last working on it so recently. Get the out to it/get them to send someone out to it or get them to collect the car on a recovery vehicle and take it to their workshop.

You sheer a bolt at this point and it’s on your head. You’ve tried every reasonable method so let them deal with it.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I agree with @Nicky

I'm not far from Whiteabbey if I can be of any help.

Though if it sheers, well it won't be fun.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
ring me tomorrow if you need it lifted Iv a couple on about the shore road

Attachments

• 5DC952ED-1890-4274-B257-5D0BD3313D0E.jpeg
    5DC952ED-1890-4274-B257-5D0BD3313D0E.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 114

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
I think it depends on the fitter more so than the company. In work we got the new bih 18v milwakie guns. Pretty good i do like them. I only ever need setting 3 and thats more than enough. I rub them up with about 1/2 throttle keep it at that for about 3 duggs. All the way around. Then torque bar them. They always more that quarter turn to the click. Some guys full throttle and a few dugs then throw the bar on and of course it clicks but then agian if the gun can spin them on it can bring them off.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Surely if a 6” pole can’t shift them never mind with two people on it there is no chance a gun is going to remove them is there .i have had some complete fukc ups with my trucks wheel nuts over the years and have had to go to those lengths to get them shifted but between the extension bar and the gun they always came off .total bollox this is for you

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
Mini
I’d have been ringing the tyre place before even thinking about posting on here.

It’s their issue if they were the last working on it so recently. Get the out to it/get them to send someone out to it or get them to collect the car on a recovery vehicle and take it to their workshop.

You sheer a bolt at this point and it’s on your head. You’ve tried every reasonable method so let them deal with it.

I havent been going too hard at them for this reason, also the reason I didnt want to use heat etc. I'm using the impact sockets from my halfords set with a jack under it to keep the socket straight on the bolt. We didnt use the 6ft bar too much as I was afraid of wrecking the bolts.

I didn't get down again last night but I'll hopefully get down again tonight. I got a bigger air gun from my dad last night to give it a rattle.

NotKG

Banned
you need a 1" air gun and a stepper.
lorry/commercial boys " like " Kerrs call out to you in a van with one.
i had the same issue a few months ago, they bang them on and the torque clicks, thats their job done.
i split hard sockets and wrecked wheel studs and scraped paint.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I havent been going too hard at them for this reason, also the reason I didnt want to use heat etc. I'm using the impact sockets from my halfords set with a jack under it to keep the socket straight on the bolt. We didnt use the 6ft bar too much as I was afraid of wrecking the bolts.

I didn't get down again last night but I'll hopefully get down again tonight. I got a bigger air gun from my dad last night to give it a rattle.
I would of had the guys who put them on sort it end of story.if they don’t do mobile they would be getting one on there behalf .thats a complete **** of a job that .

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

I wouldn’t even be leaning down to look at them any further never mind trying a bigger gun. The longer you leave it or if you put fresh marks on the wheels or bolts/nuts, it’s leaving yourself wide open for them to say they weren’t the last 1’s working at it.

If they’re a big reputable company like you say, they’ll sort it out.

I await the “how do I remove broken wheel bolts” thread... lol

johnm

RMS Regular
Maybe try to get a sleeve around it and get some heat onto it so it doesn't directly hit the alloy.
As said though, give the guys a buzz who done it. sounds infuriating.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah some people grease them then torque them and think they're doing a great job for some reason.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
And dry is where you will always get seized nuts.....and problems like this.

Never had 1 seize on my own vehicles, some of which haven’t had the wheel off from 1 year to the next between tests.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
where's @mk2driver when you need him? :p

Haha the 3000Nm would mean each person of the 2 were around 85kg and standing on the very end of the bar

More likely given Simon’s description of lighter folks and the fact they aren’t standing on top of each other that the torque would be around 2200Nm but it’s still a very large torque

I do love an equation ;)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Only time I've ever had a problem with a wheel nut has been a cheap locking nut. Can't torque them properly if they've been greased.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.