Tyre company over tightened wheel nuts, can't get the wheel off.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I have always been under the impression that you put a smear of copper grease on the thread to help avoid this from happening .oli have done this on my trucks forever and not had a problem torquing then up.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Always put a slap on the face of the hubs also as it’s hard work beating of a truck rim with a sledge when they seize together.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Did you get it sorted @Simon998 ?

I have one of thon' spanky new billion torques Milwaukees that I would be happy to try for you?

Given what you have tried already though, not sure how well it would faire but I know you aint far from me

J

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Actually, remembering the devastation that this new gun brought to "some stuff" I was doing at the weekend.................i think the suggestions of pursuing the tyre place are safest bud.

:laughing:

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
Mini
I've never had one seize/stick on me before either. I've had these wheels off a few times in the last year and never had an issue.

Didn't get a chance to go down last night either, tried giving the tyre place a call there but it rang out. I'll try again after lunch.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
We've the older 1490nm Milwaukee gun in work, in a decent concrete lift shaft we tighten m12 through bolts as it snaps them off and we don't have to get a hot works permit and to use the grinder to nip them off.

Anymore luck with the tyre company

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The problem with lubricating threads arises when you apply a non-lubricated torque to lubricated threads.

The nuts/bolts aren't suddenly going to fly off if you lubricate the threads - in fact, if you put 100 lb/ft into a lubricated thread vs a non lubed thread (depending on lubricant) you could end up with the same axial load as if you had torqued the dry thread to 140/170 lb/ft - this is because less torque is required to put the same load on.

The main thing with wheel nuts/studs is ensuring the threads are clean and free from any rust/dirt etc.

NotKG

Banned
The problem with lubricating threads arises when you apply a non-lubricated torque to lubricated threads.

The nuts/bolts aren't suddenly going to fly off if you lubricate the threads - in fact, if you put 100 lb/ft into a lubricated thread vs a non lubed thread (depending on lubricant) you could end up with the same axial load as if you had torqued the dry thread to 140/170 lb/ft - this is because less torque is required to put the same load on.

The main thing with wheel nuts/studs is ensuring the threads are clean and free from any rust/dirt etc.
torque is easier reached with lubrication.
"" torque is NOT always tight. ""

show me where there is facts on this, because iv been taught the opposite in my 30 yrs on spanners.
there are some exceptions like stretch head bolts that are still recommended the tinyest dot of a grease can be added to, but i know majority are clean and dry.
i remember wax paper used to be fitted to hubs to stop alloys siezing to hubs.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
First link on Google but there's many more.

www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html

That article mentions roughly 40% reduction in torque required to meet the same axial load on a lubricated fixing vs a dry one. In layman's terms if your manual says 100lbft dry and you set the ratchet at 100 and lube the threads you could end up putting 140lbft+ through the bolt.

We would be told to get the grease off the bolts at tech or to allow for the lubrication.

Whether it matters or not in the real world for a wheel bolt that could probably withstand many times it's rated torque is another matter, but on smaller stuff it can be the difference between tight and rung lol

Mark_C

RMS Regular
engineeringtoolbox is a good shout.

My experience is from a question that stands out in my memory from an exam on my physics degree 21 long years ago that I completely misunderstood !

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Some of the bolts in work have to be checked with a gauge for run down torque, then set your torque wrench to compensate for it.

e60driver

RMS Regular
Drives
z4 2.5i
I had the same problem before and ended up using a breaker bar . Placed the socket on the nut and shocked the joint of the breaker with a sledge hammer . Job done ..

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Remember way back when it used to be about some guy that couldn’t undo his wheel nuts or something? lol

cxiuu.jpg

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
Mini
Haven't been back down to the car, Sabs is away for the week and doesn't need the car until Monday and I've had a lot on.

Tyre place said as it's been 4 weeks since she bought the tyres they can't be sure they were the last ones to tighten them up, he said they don't use a rattle gun to refit wheels and as I wasn't there when they were getting fitted, I couldn't argue. I've a feeling they may have been a little more lenient if I got the mrs to phone. I don't want to 'name and shame' as I can see where they're coming from tbh.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.