Tyre query

CloudStrife

RMS Regular
Need 4 new tyres on my C-Max. Currently it has 4 215/55/16 on it. When using most sites like Kwik-fit and Blackcircles it gives me the option of 205/55/16.

Now I would prefer the 205 as there is a much larger choice and price is far more competitive. I spoke to someone in Kwik-fit and was told I should stick with what I currently have.

Whats the view here? Price wise there is a large increase. Normally I would be buying part worn or budget but now I will be going for Goodyears so hard to see how this could be worse than whats currently on my car anyway.

Cheers

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaguar XF
It's up to you to decide if they're correct for your vehicle. The tyre calculator says this about the comparison

PAULW

RMS Regular
They're smaller in width by 10mm, so the sidewall will also be smaller, this will affect the speedo (it will read a couple of mph higher than actual speed) and the ride might be fractionally bumpier.

Neither are particularly serious but I imagine the insurance wouldn't be too pleased with a non standard size

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
It'll do no harm. Unless they are miles off and have a huge stretch, it'll not to you any harm.

CloudStrife

RMS Regular
OP
C
How do I know what is standard size? I don't know what the car originally came fitted with.

Blackcircles doesn't even offer my current size as an option for my reg for example.

Michael44

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancia
There is a 5.5mm side wall depth difference between the 2 tyres, so effectively if your current tyres are worn to their legal limit
How do I know what is standard size? I don't know what the car originally came fitted with.

Blackcircles doesn't even offer my current size as an option for my reg for example.
It usually gives the tyre options for all the possible rim sizes on the tyre pressure chart. Either in the user manual or sometimes on a sticker on the B pillar.

CloudStrife

RMS Regular
OP
C
Had a look on the pillar and didn't see anything. Will check the manual tonight.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Sounds to me like someone has put 215s on the car instead of the 205s it originally came with. Get some 205s bought and fitted and don't worry about it ;)

RubberLover

RMS Regular
215/55R16 will normally have a higher load rating, so it’s its a diesel or 7 seater (e.g heavier than a standard model) you’d be better sticking with the stronger 215/55R16.

If was say a 5 seater petrol, I wouldn’t be worries about 205/55R16 at all, most of them are that size anyway.

Last edited:

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
If you go up on width come down on sidewall ratio. You could go 205/60 or 215/45. The more common the size the cheaper the tyres become. Best just open the door or fuel cap and see what ford have on the panel.