Tyre shine applicator . . . ?

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Large yellow sponges (pack of three) from B+M bargains for about a quid, then cut each one into four ....makes great applicators (y)(y)

This, especially for meguires. Stored in a zip lock bag and applied with gloves.

Recently using Anachem tyre gloss applying with a brush and its superb.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I use these, £2 for 12 is a bargain so just buy a few packs at a time..

12 x car foam waxing pads vehicle sponge clean polish paint applicator polishing

$_1.JPG

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I use these:

Sponge scouring pads: Groceries

Works out at about 8p each if you get the big pack of 20 so a bit of a bargain and available at Tesco so handy to get. I use the 'scouring' side to hold onto.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I use the Autofinesse applicator ball - works ok but doesn't reach the bottom of the tyre in contact with the ground. I find it more comfortable to use than an applicator pad.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I use cheap mircofibre applicator pads.

Gets in all the groves of a tyre and leaves an even finish.

10-Pack-Car-Microfiber-Wax-Applicator-Pads-Auto-Care-Polishing-Sponges-5-Diameter-with-pocket.jpg_640x640.jpg

I got a stack of these from eBay after seeing this post and they're great for doing the tyres. Any of the spongy ones I've ever used just disintegrate after a while. Thanks @Todd

O.C.D

RMS Regular
I use the Autofinesse applicator ball - works ok but doesn't reach the bottom of the tyre in contact with the ground. I find it more comfortable to use than an applicator pad.
I just roll the car foward or back so the bottom of the tyre is at the top and finish that bit off.

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Autoglym tyre shine and a large detailing brush for me. I pour the stuff into a small cup. A little goes a long way.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I use these:

Sponge scouring pads: Groceries

Works out at about 8p each if you get the big pack of 20 so a bit of a bargain and available at Tesco so handy to get. I use the 'scouring' side to hold onto.
Use these as well, very handy.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Is there anything out there for this job ?

Spotted this "dish washing" soap applicator thing while shopping the other day. With a wee bit of tweaking it makes a pretty handy tyre shine applicator !

The only issue I had was i drilled a bigger hole as the Maguires stuff is quite thick , thinner product wouldn't need a bigger hole. Pitty the new sponge head spares only come with the rough scouring surface but it kind of helps evening out any old layers.

View attachment 118777 View attachment 118778 View attachment 118779
Seems I wasn't the only one. He's 4 years late though . . .

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Handy yes but you've no control over the product bound to use loads and have to wipe all down after again?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Handy yes but you've no control over the product bound to use loads and have to wipe all down after again?
Theres only a wee hole let's the liquid onto the back of the sponge. I let it soak through on the downward sweep then theres enough on there to spread on the upper half (applicator is upside down so liquid isn't seeping into sponge anymore)
Throw the tyre shine in the bin. Awful pointless stuff.
Nah, nothing finishes off a nice clean car like tyre slick.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
holy thread revival... tldr, but...

ebay item 163215668462

best hard wearing sponges for tyre shine, possibly in the history of the world. These will last years and years...

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I just buy a packet these is Tesco, cut in half and obviously use the yellow side. Packet was like £1 for 5, so end up with 10 but whole sponges usually get used up for something else lol
147C7901-3639-439C-A60E-9E35088C4635.jpeg

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Half inch of anachem in a child’s beaker and a 1” paint brush and 10 seconds later “hey presto” shiny shiny .