Uk stock car racing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

morainey

RMS Member
Drives
Bmw 320i
Hi guys, just wandering if we have any stock car drivers/fans on the forums ?
Mo

Dave..

RMS Regular
I used to go to Shamrock park , was great craic. They used to have a spectator race - a lot of wrecks.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Used to go to Shamrock park every Saturday night, occasionally Ballymena and Aghadowey. Always been a big fan of the salloons.

Haven't been to Tullyroan that much, the racing for me just isn't the same as it was in the 90's. used to see 20-30 cars per class at Shamrock Park and it was non stop action. Just doesn't have the numbers anymore :worried:

Shame tho, I still go to the big events when I can, Tullyroan is a great venue.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I used to go years ago, 1 of the Christie's was a neighbour of mine. hear them in ballymena every week I keep meaning to go but I'm captain procrastination.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Used to go to Shamrock park every Saturday night, occasionally Ballymena and Aghadowey. Always been a big fan of the salloons.

Haven't been to Tullyroan that much, the racing for me just isn't the same as it was in the 90's. used to see 20-30 cars per class at Shamrock Park and it was non stop action. Just doesn't have the numbers anymore :worried:

Shame tho, I still go to the big events when I can, Tullyroan is a great venue.
I went in the 70's. Guy entered his dad's Jag into the spectator race and had it wrecked, very funny.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
There was some good racing, and fighting at shamrock park, it used to be mental, stock car racing, big crash, rival drivers fighting.

morainey

RMS Member
OP
morainey
Drives
Bmw 320i
Yea shamrock park was a good track, thankfully i got the chance to race at it, very challenging believe it or not !! Stock car racing def dosnt have the same crowds as the good old days but its still alive and healthy, good racing, contraversy and general atmosphere !

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I think they are trying to stop it at the showgrounds based on noise pollution. personally I love hearing them makes a change from diesels reeking past going pooooooooooooooo.

dilligaf

RMS Regular
Drives
KIA SPORTAGE
Iv been around the Stockcar game since I was born, My Da was into them in a big way, our holiday every year was to the Hotrod world championship in Ipswich every year, I had a go at Lightning Rods when they started over 20 years ago...To me I love them, no money in them no prize money just men doing it for the love of the sport, when you think a Good National Hot Rod will be around 100k to buy & race for a year, there not for the faint hearted...

Iv been to all the tracks here & a lot of the ones on the mainland & Id go at the drop of a hat at any time as they are great craic & great weekends racing...

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Yeah the crowds have died away off, the gap between Shamrock Park closing down and Tullyroan opening would've all but got rid of all but die hard fans from this area I'd imagine (me included!)

Majority of the big names from back then are still racing now right enough, still much preferred the old classes to the current set up.

Juniors
Seniors
Superstox
1600/2000 hot rods (nationals if you were lucky!)
Stock Rods
Stock Saloons
Bangers

Done the trick!

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
I go to Ballymena occasionally. Love the racing there. Been to tullyroan and aghadowey to see the classic hot rods. I'd like to have a go at the stock rods if I'm honest.

morainey

RMS Member
OP
morainey
Drives
Bmw 320i
Problem is now the money involved in getting started again ! I sold all my race stuff thinking i had enough, but when the bug bites and you start building a new car... man does the money pile up lol.

morainey

RMS Member
OP
morainey
Drives
Bmw 320i
Your better buying a 2nd hand one mate and learning from that, then when u have the feel and understanding of it you can think of a new one !

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Real men go rallying!!! .They even turn left .
Oj ,had an ex work collugue who was really into this and won the world championship this year in his class .No idea which class though.Seen it in the local papers and on bakebook .

yvo6

RMS Regular
Remember going to the stock car racing when it was in Belfast and Bangor.
Followed it when it went to Shamrock then later in Ballymena.

I remember Maurice Sterling, Alastair Jackson and Ivor Greenwood. Ivor really brought in the space frame type of stock car.
In those days Martin Greenwood was the promoter.

I think Woolsey was racing a Ford Angela at one time.

Ormonde Christie, Norman Woolsey became World Champions in the Hot Rods.

All these names just appearing as i type now. Great days.

As other have said there were some fighting in the pits after races in the Production classes.
There was a very big following in those days when a stock car was affordable.

I won a Ladies Race in 1979, before a lot of ya were born!

It was a really quick mini - unfortunately i met a H-iron on top of the fencing around Ballymena stadium a few weeks
later. I was told after the mini needed tying to a tree and pulled with the digger to straighten id. No jigs just a tree and digger. lol

Great memories.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.