Ultra Red Renaultsport Clio 200 FF

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Just sitting on the boat after a manic day reflecting on the day trip! Have had a great day, over the moon with how the car drives and the sound! I haven’t gained much power in the top end, these cars never do, but have gained a good bit of low down torque which the F4R serious lacks!

I do have a couple of videos of it on the dyno but can’t upload here so a photo will have to do;

98FFB4F6-C52B-49C1-8D2C-7E9BFBC09397.jpeg

There was some great machinery on show today at RS Tuning as per usual, including this 470bhp-ish Meg powered Clio 197;

27E9E379-9883-445B-BFC8-B995261901B8.jpeg

Incidentally the guy who owns the above Clio also owns this Sierra Cosworth powered Fiesta, complete with sequential box and monster Garret turbo - right up @Mark King street I would imagine?

B41C1904-36F0-449F-BC89-53489F7A8502.jpeg

I didn’t end up going to Redline, instead I wanted to go on an extended drive around Evo Triangle and through Snowdonia National Park. Epic roads and incredible scenery also. Really enjoyed getting a song out of the Clio. Stopped for a couple of photos also along the way;

97914289-55B1-4413-88EB-26833C538B9F.jpeg

379F950F-CEF1-4492-B0CD-E0C7D83C0D7F.jpeg

0465CF56-0F4B-484F-84E0-EBF50FF2FC96.jpeg

0154C4D5-F0D9-4B37-B238-2C1E401FA411.jpeg

I do enjoy a good road trip and it’s been about 18 months since the last so this was much welcomed! Would love to do the North Coast 500 at some stage but not sure my one year old or other half would have the patience for it lol.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Have been pretty busy the last few months and haven’t been on here more than a handful of times. In that time I haven’t actually done much to the car. With a house move on the cards and a great summer (for the most part) the car has just been used for daily duties.

First up I had some custom badges made up. I had a black sticker on the tailgate but it wasn’t holding up too well so I changed the front RS badge along with tailgate badge;

4FB44EDD-FDB4-482A-82D0-7E31A0E32E0C.jpeg

23DEB58E-4315-4DBC-A5A0-29FB348FA01F.jpeg

The front badge has actually started to fade to a pink colour as opposed to gloss red so I will likely have another made up.

Couple of photos after the Jacobs Supercars BBQ at Kerr’s tyres a few months back;

F4E0FDDD-948F-4A84-9D21-27C0D4745AFB.jpeg

06296B14-7880-4382-A7C5-9F86686A54CB.jpeg

Next up I fitted a stud / nut conversion and also some red Renaultsport lettering to the side skirts;

F13878F8-26C8-417F-B440-567864B14C13.jpeg

Finally I fitted a replacement Powerflex mount as the first one had split. Powerflex where great at sending out a replacement and all they asked was that I returned the original for testing. I also had a custom oil cap made up in red;

A26B62AF-1BF9-4A71-ACD9-D4B50D2B199F.jpeg

The inlet manifold will get some customisation further down the line but it’s no big deal as despite the car being a Renault, the bonnet is rarely up ;).

Next month will be an expensive one. The car is due a service and I will be getting some bits and pieces replaced;

- Both rear calipers will be replaced
- Slight coolant leak, more than likely radiator
- Passenger front speaker will be replaced
- Gearoil replacement
- Brake fluid replacement
- Passenger door check strap
- Service
- Both front bottom ball joints will be replaced
- May also have the front Brembos stripped and rebuilt with new seals

Also have a set of Speedlines coming with PS4 fitted. The AD08r weren’t great last winter so these will do as winter wheels. Also really wanting a front splitter and torn between a couple of options so will hopefully make my mind up on that soon lol

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Still looking so fresh!

Cheers Nigel! Actually saw your old Megane when I was out and about last weekend. It’s really put me in the notion for another. Moving house here in October then I might think about one next year. I’ll be after a 275 Trophy this time around I think. What’s next for you? Are you going down the M3/4 route?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Cheers Nigel! Actually saw your old Megane when I was out and about last weekend. It’s really put me in the notion for another. Moving house here in October then I might think about one next year. I’ll be after a 275 Trophy this time around I think. What’s next for you? Are you going down the M3/4 route?

Good to hear it's out and about! Getting an M4 in October, megane cup drove so well (as you know) but I started missing the 'toys' that are nice to have on a daily.

A facelift trophy will be a lot fresher than the earlier models spec wise. You affected by the Belfast traffic issues?

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Good to hear it's out and about! Getting an M4 in October, megane cup drove so well (as you know) but I started missing the 'toys' that are nice to have on a daily.

A facelift trophy will be a lot fresher than the earlier models spec wise. You affected by the Belfast traffic issues?

Ah very nice indeed, jealous about that I’ll not lie lol. What colour/spec?

Yeah the Trophy is nice, similar spec to my 265 would suit me grand! No I’m grand, I don’t see any bus lanes to or from work so I’m dead on!

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Haha @Nigelo, believe me if I was waiting on a car of that calibre I would be dropping it randomly into conversations and everything lol. HTD!

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
So some parts have arrived over the last few days.

4858444A-4CFD-42B7-B3CF-BA3C82897F2E.jpeg

I ordered replacement rear brake calipers, oil and passenger side front speaker through work. I know I will need a replacement part for the coolant leak, it could be a pipe or it could be a radiator required, but I will see what the pressure test comes back with! I will also be replacing brake fluid and gear oil - as yet I’m undecided if I should stick with OEM or go with something different.

The balljoints where supplied by a forum member on the Clio197.net forum. Fantastic service having taken less than a week to arrive all the way from Croatia. These are apparently a HD version of the OEM balljoint.

The car is booked in for the work to be completed in a couple of weeks time so I will be busy gathering up other bits and pieces before then and deciding which fluids to use for the gearbox and brake circuit (first world problems eh!?)

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Some more fluids have arrived for the upcoming service;

F758E210-A2BB-4F9F-851F-DDD28B0A404F.jpeg

After much deliberation I opted for ELF NFP 75w80 Gear Oil. Having looked at ELF NFJ, Redline and others I decided on the NFP. It’s worth mentioning I don’t have any gearbox issues but the car is over 8 years old now and with no record of it being changed, now is as good a time as ever.

Again I deliberated over brake fluid. I’ve been considering getting the car on track now for several months. My attention and energy, along with saving, has been going towards us moving house but I would like to get the car on track in the near future. I had Motul RBF660 in my Megane and it was mega. I had thought about it along with RBF600 but the reviews on TYP200 are positive so thought I would give it a go!

What are people’s thoughts on braided brake lines? Some companies offer 4 line and 6 line kits (only difference being the 6 line kit includes lines from the rear axle to the calipers). I’ve actually never fitted braided lines to any car before. Are they worth the expense?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Eddie_ I had the 6 line kit on my 200 back when I had it. It does make a difference (all be it small) and it's a fit and forget part as you'll basically never have to worry about them again. If you're doing everything else I'd go for it. I ran Motul RBF660 and couldn't fault it, lasted on the 'Ring so it must be decent stuff.

Also if you haven't got stainless brake pins I'd add them too.

Finally is that Ate stuff not the gear that causes a squeak from the clutch pedal?

Last edited:

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
I’d think again about the typ200 fluid. It’s known to cause the clutch master cylinder to squeak. Like it did in my 200.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
@Eddie_ I had the 6 line kit on my 200 back when I had it. It does make a difference (all be it small) and it's a fit and forget part as you'll basically never have to worry about them again. If you're doing everything else I'd go for it. I ran Motul RBF660 and couldn't fault it, lasted on the 'Ring so it must be decent stuff.

Also if you haven't got stainless brake pins I'd add them too.

Finally is that Ate stuff not the gear that causes a squeak from the clutch pedal?

That’s my thinking Pro-Line Motorsport offer the 6 line kit for £85 delivered which is decent value.

Just seen Stevens comment below too re TYP200 so maybe I’ll have to revisit that! Hadn’t realised or read that it had caused issues. Had RBF660 in the Megane for the Ring and Spa and client fault it either.

I’d think again about the typ200 fluid. It’s known to cause the clutch master cylinder to squeak. Like it did in my 200.

Was that definitely the cause Steven? Will have to change for something else if that is the case!

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
It’s definitely the problem. Others have had it too. Saying that I am running it in the 197 but a squeak in the clutch doesn’t worry me in it cause there is a lot more noises to worry about.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
It’s definitely the problem. Others have had it too. Saying that I am running it in the 197 but a squeak in the clutch doesn’t worry me in it cause there is a lot more noises to worry about.

What did you change over too in your 200? I could just go to what I used before which was RBF660 but seems like overkill for all the track days I would be doing.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Was this when the type200 stuff was blue @BBSBOY? I think they've had to change the fluid a bit because of America and the fluid is normal coloured now too. I put it in my Golf in the last couple of months and no issues to report.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Was this when the type200 stuff was blue @BBSBOY? I think they've had to change the fluid a bit because of America and the fluid is normal coloured now too. I put it in my Golf in the last couple of months and no issues to report.

You could be onto something! It used to be blue but now I think it’s known as ‘SuperGold’.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've just recently run out of ATE Super blue and I think its great stuff and using it in the 155 for trackdays etc and the MX5 for the targas with no problems. A lot of the others available are race spec fluids which eat seals and go off very quickly by absorbing moisture.

One of the other reasons for changing from blue to gold is that dark coloured fluid can cause an mot failure.

300trophy

RMS Regular
OP
300trophy
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I've just recently run out of ATE Super blue and I think its great stuff and using it in the 155 for trackdays etc and the MX5 for the targas with no problems. A lot of the others available are race spec fluids which eat seals and go off very quickly by absorbing moisture.

One of the other reasons for changing from blue to gold is that dark coloured fluid can cause an mot failure.

Thanks for that. Part of my reason for not using RBF660 is I didn’t want something that would need to be changed each year.

Must say the reviews on TYP200 have been very positive. Can’t remember ever reading about it causing squeaking clutch pedal issues!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I have read those stories when looking into it originally, but a lot of them were old posts and nothing really of recent years and seemed to tie in with the old version. Again thats just from my reading. Plenty of positive reviews also.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.