Underground garage build

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I suppose a house for your car would fall under car care..
Anyway, been building my house for the past year & now that its 95% complete its time to turn my attention to the most important bit. The garage.

Updates over the next 4 weeks. Heres last week's work, the excavation.

Looking West:

Garage1.jpg

Garage2.jpg

Looking East:

GarageNorth.jpg

Driveway being profiled down to it:

Driveway.jpg

Spec wise it'l be a 4 bay part-underground garage with a turf/grass flat roof, so only the front face & part of the sides should be exposed. Roughly 42ft x 20ft & only 7ft high so no room for a lift unfortunately.

Excuse the size of the pics, I've obviously been sent them from an iPhone without resizing.

I'm intending to utilise one of the 4 bays (10Ft x 20Ft) as a part gym/games chill out area but that will be revealed if it actually becomes reality. Founds going in today, but il update that splash of concrete later.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Why not go deeper to allow for more head height? I know that the biggest regret when building our garage was only making it 8ft high and its surprisingly restrictive in terms of what the garage can be used for.

Nice concept, but could be a much better set-up with more room.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Barry it has been my life ling ambition to be in a position to build an underground garage, i'll get there eventually. Cant express my interest enough in this build so please keep us posted.
Very well done (y)

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Why not go deeper to allow for more head height? I know that the biggest regret when building our garage was only making it 8ft high and its surprisingly restrictive in terms of what the garage can be used for.

Nice concept, but could be a much better set-up with more room.

Any deeper & water would collect in it. I dont mind low ceilings Nicky, apart from missing over head storage it will make more sense regarding heating & insulation values.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Barry it has been my life ling ambition to be in a position to build an underground garage, i'll get there eventually. Cant express my interest enough in this build so please keep us posted.
Very well done (y)

Cheers Chris, well it's been my life long ambition to eventually own a nice car lol. It's been my driving force throughout the build.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Any deeper & water would collect in it. I dont mind low ceilings Nicky, apart from missing over head storage it will make more sense regarding heating & insulation values.

Hard to make out the pics on the phone. It looked like you we're high on a hill, so I imagined the water table wouldn't have been an issue.

Could you not bring it out if the ground and make the roof of it a nice decking/patio/barbecue area/play area for the kids/herb garden (if you're into that kinda thing :p)?

That said, if its all you'll ever need, then fair play. The heating side of things definitely makes sense, and at 800sq/ft you should have plenty of work space.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I know exactly what your saying Nicky but its in a green belt area of outstanding natural beauty so planning would give my knuckles fair wrap if I made any more of an environmental impact than what I was permitted to. It's all the space il need.

Good man Barry - good money under the water in the cold North Sea I take it?!

Funny I'm just after ordering a new thermal long-johns - it's pretty nippy this time of year lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
awesome, will be watching this thread with great interest :grinning:

I will be doing some major work to my workshop over winter must start a thread on it :grinning:

C4L

RMS Regular
That is absolutely fantastic mate! I'm 22 and something like this just has to be one of your goals if your a car nut, best of luck getting it sorted, will watch with interest!

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
this should look pretty cool when its done. Nice house also.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Now I see why the gtr we chatted about came as wrong time lol, some job mate. I am sure once your sorted a toy will fit in very well,

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Now I see why the gtr we chatted about came as wrong time lol, some job mate. I am sure once your sorted a toy will fit in very well,
Lol! Yeah this project has sucked the fun out of my driving life for the past 4 years. Only a couple of months to go now though :grinning:

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
Exciting times Barry . Great project and lovely house . Weve only recently finished our build too . keep the pics coming , very interesting thread.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Looks great Barry, very impressive! Is this the site near downhill you where telling me about? looks fantastic! are you intending to work offshore for much longer? its a pity the house will spend half its life empty!