Undersealing Service

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section but it seemed the most appropriate.

I know there are a few already offering professional undersealing services about here and I know a lot of independent garages will slap on some waxoyl at fairly low cost, but Im wondering whether people think theres any desire for professional undersealing in the south down area?

Ive now done three cars (my own) trying slightly different products and techniques each time and Ive discovered that I quite enjoy it.

For all three I started with getting them steam cleaned on a local steam cleaning ramp. Then get them on a lift and use wire brushes and compressed air to get rid of flaky surface rust and dirt. Depending on how far I intended to take the job id either disassemble the main suspension components, removing shocks, springs and roll bars or Ill leave it all intact.

Regardless of the underseal product I use ill coat all surface rust with jenolite rust converter. I've found it is excellent for the money. Chemically bonds to rust and creates an epoxy barrier over the top that can be overcoated.

If im using dinitrol Ill coat the worst areas with clear wax (Dinitrol 1000) and do the inside of cavities and sills, or I can use waxoyl in cavities to reduce cost. Ill then overcoat with at least two layers of 4941 paying most attention to inner arches and outside of sills (I remove bumper and skirts if needed).

If using waxoyl Ill usually thin it slightly with old motor oil and pump it into sills before coating the underside entirely, usually two coats or more. I try to avoid coating the suspension due to making it a mess for working on but it all depends on the car and extent of any rust.

If I have removed springs and rollbars I can make use of a local powder coating service however I also have the ability to spray 2k paint with proper gun setup, so can offer to paint certain components (though I find springs are better powder coated).

I don't have any real desire to compete with the well established guys and don't intend to do the full underbody restorations offered elsewhere, more of an in between from a waxoyl paintjob and a full restoration. Something more suited to someone who values their motor and wants to keep it good but isn't concerned about a show-worthy underside.

Id imagine ill be charging anywhere from £150 to £1k depending on extent of the work, time taken and products used but really id have to figure out fair pricing after doing a few jobs to get me started. Id imagine (as im working full time) that Id need 1 - 2 weeks depending on the job.

I'm no expert if i'm honest but the work i've done has proven to work as intended over multiple years on my cars. Obviously they require a check up every now and again and over time may even need overcoated again but its certainly a job worth every penny as far as i'm concerned.

So anyway - is it something worth offering? Perfectly prepared for brutally honest opinions!

I don't have much in the way of pics, so here's one of my subaru and another of my celica from a few years back to give an idea of what I can do (sorry for poor quality, having issues getting them from my phone). Both done with 4941 dinitrol (1000 in cavities) and certain components painted and/or powdercoated.

Screenshot_20220521-183803_Instagram.jpg

Capture.JPG

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Looks great job , mate at titanic detailing offers it and is getting few requests but few people are willing to spend the money for top notch work and products especially atm and going forward

He the fella opposite Porsche?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Now moved as landlord tried to double the rent

Ah right. Got a quote and wanted to go ahead with him but he went AWOL and stopped responding. Ended up doing it myself. Thoroughly horrendous job altogether - it's one of the only jobs I'd pay someone to do lol

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Looks great job , mate at titanic detailing offers it and is getting few requests but few people are willing to spend the money for top notch work and products especially atm and going forward
Yeah, can appreciate its not a high volume sort of thing and very niche when it comes to doing a top end job, but then I figure if you offer fairly basic waxoyl jobs (done properly) at least you can work with people on lower budgets
Ah right. Got a quote and wanted to go ahead with him but he went AWOL and stopped responding. Ended up doing it myself. Thoroughly horrendous job altogether - it's one of the only jobs I'd pay someone to do lol
It's one of those jobs that if you don't have the space, a lift and all the proper gear it's a bloody nightmare and even with a good setup you still have to be prepared to be cleaning underseal out of your hair for the next three weeks 😂

Have to say I enjoy the process of going from rusty heap to clean and tidy underside though

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
The thread got locked there for a while just as it appeared I was acting as a trader, which was fair enough. Im really just interested in seeing whether people actually would bother with a service like this? No intentions of starting a business just yet (much too lazy).

Interested to know how/where people usually go for undersealing. Virtually every vintage/jdm car ad I read will mention how its been waxoyled or undersealed so I know its something most enthusiasts have done at some stage but assuming its usually a quick job done by their local mechanics? Is it something any of you get checked and topped up each year?

For me personally there was nothing really in between the nut and bolt restoration and the quick waxoyl job but im sure there must be others offering the likes of proper preparation and better products than waxoyl? My best option personally was to do it myself, but I suppose not everyone can do that all that easily.

Just looking any/all thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I got the defender 110 undersealed with DF Engineering about 3 years ago, and it was about £700+VAT if Ii remember right. He gave it a full jet wash, steam clean and rub-down underneath, and then a couple of coats of Waxoyl on the bottom and cavities filled. Discussed using Dinitrol or something else but felt that the thicker Waxoyl was better suited to the Defender.

It took some time to do, but I believe that most of that was drying time. Had to be left in a heated shed to completely dry after the wash down, then needed another couple of days to dry after being undersealed.

It was hard to find somebody who would do a decent job on it to be honest, and I think that if more people understood the benefits and it was a bit more accessible then a lot more people would get it done to their cars. I actually have an ifor Williams trailer that's starting to show it's age and I was thinking of getting done - I just need to see whether the galvanising would need stripped, or maybe redone, before sealing.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
I got the defender 110 undersealed with DF Engineering about 3 years ago, and it was about £700+VAT if Ii remember right. He gave it a full jet wash, steam clean and rub-down underneath, and then a couple of coats of Waxoyl on the bottom and cavities filled. Discussed using Dinitrol or something else but felt that the thicker Waxoyl was better suited to the Defender.

It took some time to do, but I believe that most of that was drying time. Had to be left in a heated shed to completely dry after the wash down, then needed another couple of days to dry after being undersealed.

It was hard to find somebody who would do a decent job on it to be honest, and I think that if more people understood the benefits and it was a bit more accessible then a lot more people would get it done to their cars. I actually have an ifor Williams trailer that's starting to show it's age and I was thinking of getting done - I just need to see whether the galvanising would need stripped, or maybe redone, before sealing.

Exactly the sort of info im looking for, really hadn't a clue where people go or what the typical costs are. Thanks!

Ive really only used waxoyl and dinitrol and while I find dinitrol overall to be superior I can see why some would still opt for waxoyl - its runnier and gets into crevices better. I just find it washes off a bit easier and doesnt last just as long.

Drying time hasn't been too much of an issue for me too, I gave both cars i've done a full 24 hours after the steam wash during hot weather, but in the cold it would take days in a dry shed i'd wager.

I think people not understanding the value of it is a definite issue. Ive seen it so often now where people pay to get welding done and still dont bother with sealing, end up needing welded again two years later. I do wonder if its that a lot of people really aren't aware of undersealing and if maybe its lack of advertising and promoting it that's the issue?

Actually have the same issue with an Ifor Williams my Da owns. I think we will probably thin some waxoyl with waste oil and spray it liberally. Im thinking that the linkages and moving components underneath will be getting some extra lubrication on top of the actual rust protection if its mixed up thin enough. Galvanising is something we have to look into ourselves, no clue yet of the price and whether its worth redoing.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I know that Defenders in particular are prone to rusting, and a lot of owners would be keen to make use of somebody like yourself. I know I first asked about it in BLRC and they told me that they have loads of enquiries about it, but they don't do it as it's a messy job and it ties up one of their ramps for days, so to make it work for them they'd have to charge a fortune.

If I was you I'd get in contact with them and give them your details, then anybody who asks them about it they could point in your direction.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-32.jpg
PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-40.jpg
PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-40.jpg
PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-41.jpg
PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-42.jpg

There's a few photos of the process. I don't actually have many of what it was like afterwards, as I was keen to save what it was like before in case I went to sell it and a buying thinks that I was covering up a pile of rust. It wasn't that bad before, but the degrease / jet wash / steam wash / etc really showed up how quickly an underbody can start to deteriorate. When it was finished it was like it had rolled out of the factory. I was worried that the Waxoyl was going to be a bit messy, but it went on nice and smooth and flat.

Hopefully that is of some help

Attachments

• PHOTO-2019-12-23-07-18-41.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 32

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
View attachment 367669View attachment 367670View attachment 367672View attachment 367673View attachment 367674View attachment 367671View attachment 367675View attachment 367677View attachment 367679View attachment 367681View attachment 367682

There's a few photos of the process. I don't actually have many of what it was like afterwards, as I was keen to save what it was like before in case I went to sell it and a buying thinks that I was covering up a pile of rust. It wasn't that bad before, but the degrease / jet wash / steam wash / etc really showed up how quickly an underbody can start to deteriorate. When it was finished it was like it had rolled out of the factory. I was worried that the Waxoyl was going to be a bit messy, but it went on nice and smooth and flat.

Hopefully that is of some help

They did an awesome job on that! Ive only done waxoyl the once and I was actually surprised myself how good the finish was, not nearly as messy looking and irritating as people make out.

Yours looks like it was pretty tidy beforehand, brilliant time to get it undersealed and protected before the rust has had much longer to take hold.

I had never thought of contacting the likes of BLRC about that, but the following on defenders is rapidly growing, same for old trucks like classic Hiluxes and even old fourtraks and such where undersealing is completely essential due to what the vehicles are used for. Definitely worth me looking into that. We did my brothers Hilux and to be honest the larger components and more open chassis is a joy to work with compared to the likes of the subaru where everything was so tightly packaged.

Definitely given me some food for thought there! Very much appreciated :grinning:

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
Drives
XKR
I say go for it - I have done this same job with Dinitrol products on my RRs twice now. It's hard work, it's good fun because I have a 2-post lift, and it adds value to the vehicle. Also solves a lot of potential future problems when you fix the rust before it goes deep. But again, it's money well spent.

Lanogard is also in vogue at the moment, it seems to have a good history (from the boating world). It won't have the longevity of Dinitrol product, as it needs reapplied every year, but it's easy and makes a pretty result.

1657192695230.png

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR/Defender
I did my Defender rear cross member myself as it was tatty, as are most out there! You could offer as small a job as this to get started, a days work and 5 stages later, it looks like new and still does 1 year later.

Screenshot_20220707-122515_Photos.jpg

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
I say go for it - I have done this same job with Dinitrol products on my RRs twice now. It's hard work, it's good fun because I have a 2-post lift, and it adds value to the vehicle. Also solves a lot of potential future problems when you fix the rust before it goes deep. But again, it's money well spent.

Lanogard is also in vogue at the moment, it seems to have a good history (from the boating world). It won't have the longevity of Dinitrol product, as it needs reapplied every year, but it's easy and makes a pretty result.

View attachment 367686

It is fun, isnt it!? But I dont think id consider it if I didnt have the two post myself. Fair play to anyone tackling it on jack stands/on the floor!

Its absolutely worth the money, but I think that anyone that understands and realises that is usually happy to do it themselves and those that don't know much about it don't really consider it worth the hassle or the expense of getting it done right. Just my experience of it.

Ill be lanoguarding over last years dinitrol on the subaru. I contacted lanoguard and they told me it would actually be more effective than just using lanoguard itself anyway. Im half hoping its a bit rubbish as it seems that easy to apply that it might just make an undersealing service obsolete :joy:

I did my Defender rear cross member myself as it was tatty, as are most out there! You could offer as small a job as this to get started, a days work and 5 stages later, it looks like new and still does 1 year later.

View attachment 367689

That looks really smart! Id definitely offer stuff like that. Quick, inexpensive and makes a big visual difference. Whats it done with anyway? Dinitrol or stonechip paint?

Loving all the pics being sent in. Seems pretty clear that the universe is telling me to start undersealing land rovers in particular :joy:

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR/Defender
It is fun, isnt it!? But I dont think id consider it if I didnt have the two post myself. Fair play to anyone tackling it on jack stands/on the floor!

Its absolutely worth the money, but I think that anyone that understands and realises that is usually happy to do it themselves and those that don't know much about it don't really consider it worth the hassle or the expense of getting it done right. Just my experience of it.

Ill be lanoguarding over last years dinitrol on the subaru. I contacted lanoguard and they told me it would actually be more effective than just using lanoguard itself anyway. Im half hoping its a bit rubbish as it seems that easy to apply that it might just make an undersealing service obsolete :joy:

That looks really smart! Id definitely offer stuff like that. Quick, inexpensive and makes a big visual difference. Whats it done with anyway? Dinitrol or stonechip paint?

Loving all the pics being sent in. Seems pretty clear that the universe is telling me to start undersealing land rovers in particular :joy:
After a clean and grinder wire brush I primered it, then black paint, then top coat is Hammerite underbody seal this gives a good satin finish and it's rubbery, if I back the trailer on and touch the hitch plate it doesn't chip off.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
After a clean and grinder wire brush I primered it, then black paint, then top coat is Hammerite underbody seal this gives a good satin finish and it's rubbery, if I back the trailer on and touch the hitch plate it doesn't chip off.

Ah, okay. Definitely did the trick. I used some underbody seal under a car before. Leaves a really nice finish compared to the almost cheap looking glossy shine you get with black dinitrol

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
OP
subie_andy33
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Lough Neagh autocare seem to be doing well at this and jobs look well done
I've seen the work he's doing and it's amazing. If I ever did get started I doubt I'd go as far as that with plating bolts and fully restoring subframes etc.

With how busy he seems to be though it's proof to me that there's room for a few more guys offering undersealing or underbody restorations.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.